Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

12 volt power socket issue.

Views : 3173

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 18:02   #1
stoatyboy

Default 12 volt power socket issue.

First Off, Hi to the users of the forum. Newbie here - 1st post and all that.

I have just bought a 2002 V40 1.8 BiFuel, well pleased with it so far. Have a question that I'm hoping you chaps may know the answer too?

I bought a TomTom One satnav to guide me down to England in a couple of weeks. (I live in the middle of nowhere - highlands of scotland) I plugged the tomtom in today to the front 12 volt power socket, the car has never had a cig lighter installed - just the blanking cover. I didn't get any lights on either the charger or the satnav to indicate it was charging. Now I will try the charger in a pals motor later in the week to ascertain whether the charger itself is faulty. I know the Tomtom charges correctly via the usb cable on my pc - green light comes on to indicate charging. I could probably get away with making sure the Tomtom is fully charged on the pc and just switching it on at hectic moments but it would be an aggrovation I am hoping to avoid.

I had a look on this forum to see if there were any similar faults logged, didn't find any - Hence in covering what to try in case the charger is OK? - I take it I will have to check the fuses under the right drivers side fuse box? - Does anyone know what number fuse and what rating? Also does the socket itself illuminate or glow to indicate functionality. Everything else seems to work OK.

I am going to source a Haynes manual when I get down south in case of future problems.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post

Regards

Mark
stoatyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 21:29   #2
matt182
VOC Member

the socket should light up when theres power so more than likely the fuse has blown. i think it says on the inside of the lid covering the fuse box which one it is? been a while since i've looked though
matt182 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to matt182 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 23:00   #3
adapt63

Default light socket

I had the same problem. no light on charger. fuse ok. then i twisted the sat nav lighter connecter to the right and it works.....same thing with my phone charger have to twist it about to get a good earth....

Andy
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 23:13   #4
stoatyboy

thanks for the replies chaps, will check both responses tomorrow, and reply back. Many thanks,
Mark
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 13:45   #5
stoatyboy

Hi there
I checked the fuse in the drivers compartment - looked perfect but swapped it out anyway. Still no go. I tried several differnt power adaptors phones etc, none of these showed a light - tried jiggling around and also facing the power adaptor left, right, forwards and backwards - still no joy. There is definately no iilumination around the socket. Is there anything else it may be before I have to take it to Volvo or an electrical chap?
many thanks
Mark
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 19:09   #6
S40_Paul
Master Member

If you want your eyes ripped out go to a Volvo dealership, if you want a good price for the same work go to a local AutoSparky and get them to check it, will probably be a wiring fault and they will be able to sort it, either by finding the fault and fixing it or wiring it off something else.

S40_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:39   #7
stoatyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S40_Paul View Post
If you want your eyes ripped out go to a Volvo dealership, if you want a good price for the same work go to a local AutoSparky and get them to check it, will probably be a wiring fault and they will be able to sort it, either by finding the fault and fixing it or wiring it off something else.
Cheers mate - The Autosparky it is! I'll find one local.

Many thanks

Mark
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:53   #8
TinCool

Did you ever get the cigarette lighter sorted ? I'm having the same issue with mine. Nothing charges, nor does the actual lighter works. I've checked the fuse and all is okay.
TinCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 22:21   #9
TinCool

Yesterday I double checked all the fuses and found that one 15AMP one had blown. I replaced it and hey presto, the cigarette lighter is working again. I'm a happy camper now. Perfectly working car including my replaced siren which fixed the flashing light issue I had when locking the car with the fob.
TinCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 17:14   #10
peterlaura

Default where the fuse box located

hi,
have same probelm with sat nav i've bought.worked fine for first few weeks and now i'm on holidays it's stopped charging. works ok in another car as i've tried it. thought it would be fuse and having looked in my handbook it says internal fuse box is just under dash on drivers side of car. looked there on my 03 v40 but no fuse box. any ideas where it might be. says it's fuse no.2 for the socket but can find box. my car may be an inport as first registered in ireland but can't see that really makes a diference. anyone tell me where to look??
peterlaura is offline   Reply With Quote