Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Solar chargers. Any good?

Views : 1413

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:31   #1
ex Triumph Man

Default Solar chargers. Any good?

Will have to leave the XC90 at the airport for circa 6 weeks this spring. Did the same last autumn and had to get a jump start. Car was new Oct 2010 and has now only got 18k miles on the clock.

My question is, has anyone invested in a solar powered trickle charger that plugs in to the 12v socket in the boot? Do they do the job, especially the higher rated ones?

I know not to use the one on the console as it goes through a timer.

Any replies much appreciated

Thanks in advance.
ex Triumph Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:50   #2
jtaw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex Triumph Man View Post
Will have to leave the XC90 at the airport for circa 6 weeks this spring. Did the same last autumn and had to get a jump start. Car was new Oct 2010 and has now only got 18k miles on the clock.

My question is, has anyone invested in a solar powered trickle charger that plugs in to the 12v socket in the boot? Do they do the job, especially the higher rated ones?

Thanks in advance.
I've never used one of the 15watt ones but do have some experience with larger panels. I would imaging the samller ones would work providing it's placed south facing.
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jtaw45 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 13:04   #3
ex Triumph Man

I will have to be careful where I place it as my car has the darkened rear windows because of the headrest mounted dvd screens.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 13:09   #4
gary austin

hi a chap at my work uses one and it works fine ,it has a cable long enough to sit on the dash dont know if it will work through the tinted glass cheers gary
gary austin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gary austin For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 13:18   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex Triumph Man View Post

Thanks in advance.

The battery should be fine for over 3 months left standing if the battery is good and fully charged ... i would get your dealer to check the battery , it's state of charge and state of health they have a special computer battery tester for this . If the state of charge is low , fully charge it just before your last journey ...
In my experience of solar panels you would need one about 2 ft x 3ft to do the job ... oh and sunshine !
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 13:20   #6
Cannondale

I have used bigger solar panels on my motorhome and they do work very well in the summer but so good in the winter.

But if you just want to overcome battery drainage I am sure one will be fine. The biggest you can get would always be best as the rated output will only be available in optimum conditions and only when the sun is over head. Take care to position it to get the best of the sun and it will at worst help the battery.

Richard...
Cannondale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cannondale For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 13:48   #7
mrooke
VOC Member

I used one from Maplins and sat it on the front seat with it folded open at 90 degrees. Good that you are aware, it needs to be plugged in the socket in the luggage area. The supplied cable is long enough to reach that socket.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/13w-solar-briefcase-99760

Provided your battery is in good condition when you park and you only have normal drains, this will easily keep it topped up to allow you to start it on your return.
mrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrooke For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 16:17   #8
ex Triumph Man

Thanks all for your replies. Have just ordered on through Amazon (no wonder high street stores are going to the wall)

It has an 8.5 watt output. Will plug it in as soon as it arrives as the car's battery was a bit sluggish yesterday.

Car should be OK to leave as nearest airport about 90-120 mins away

Again, many thanks
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 19:53   #9
400-ascona
Premier Member

I used to use them on my boat and they worked fine. It had two massive batteries and I could leave it without worrying about the batteries not starting the engine when I wanted to use it.

You may have to connect direct to the battery. 12v power sockets often don't stay live with the ignition off.

Rob
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 12:56   #10
ex Triumph Man

Thanks for the tip. That way I would bypass any complex circuitry in the vehicle.

Ordered solar unit yesterday on Amazon and should be here by end next week. Will connect it up and post findings.

Thanks again to all who replied.