Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General > 300/66 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another 340 speedo cable required

Views : 1460

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2008, 11:34   #1
migrator
Aye - him again

Default Another 340 speedo cable required

I have started a new thread for this new request.

The 'used' inner cable that I traced recently has now broken - strangely at about the same length as the previous cable. I am thinking that there may be internal damage to the outer sheath that is weakening the inner cables. This time I am hunting for both an inner and outer cable for a 1991 (July) 340 GL with the 1.4 engine. I have been on to Speedy Cables of Swansea but it is taking a bit of time and a number of calls to get the info from them. I have also asked on Parts Gateway, checked eBay and some other sources, including breakers known to me locally (Edinburgh area). I will be happy to get either a new or a used cable.

All help much appreciated.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 16:13   #2
Laney760
VOC Member

Don't know whether you've checked:

http://www.volvospares-uk.com/

http://www.volvobreakers.co.uk/

http://cpmotors-volvospares.co.uk/forsale.htm

http://www.lvmgroup.co.uk/index.php

These from the thread in General section, loads more on there, assume those with websites will be happy to post..

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=60806

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 16:22   #3
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Please stop posting the second of those links. I've already posted a warning on your other thread about that company, there is another forum member who is currently trying to get a great deal of money back from them as they sold him a duff engine. He has a court order against them etc, but they are still refusing to pay up.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 16:40   #4
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunchukhamster View Post
Please stop posting the second of those links. I've already posted a warning on your other thread about that company, there is another forum member who is currently trying to get a great deal of money back from them as they sold him a duff engine. He has a court order against them etc, but they are still refusing to pay up.

It wasn't my thread nor even my post, warning not particularly clear, just a link with 'you may find this particularly enlightening' but I am aware now thank you

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL

Last edited by Laney760; Dec 3rd, 2008 at 16:52.
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 17:11   #5
migrator
Aye - him again

Laney,

Thanks for the pointers - I will follow them up and make whatever decisions I feel are correct about the possible supply of the speedo cable.

Nunchuckhamster,

Laney was only trying to help me out with some pointers as to possible parts sources. Please do not take it out on Laney if you have a friend who is having legal dealings with any of them. Thank you, however, for your concerns.

All,

Lets be good and friendly about this - it takes more than one swallow to make a spring. - and I do need a speedo cable or my son's driver training will need to go on hold (I don't need a disgruntled teenager at present ).

VOC 11817

Last edited by migrator; Dec 3rd, 2008 at 17:13.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 19:09   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Have you considered my previous advice about Sending the old one to Speedy cables in Swansea to make you a new one?
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 19:38   #7
migrator
Aye - him again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Have you considered my previous advice about Sending the old one to Speedy cables in Swansea to make you a new one?
It has taken me over a week of telephone calls (a few each day) to finally get in touch with the 'person who does the cables' at Speedy Cables. I had originally sent an email inquiry from their web site just to get an idea of the price. Only 'Andy' could help with the advice and he was either busy or out when I called. No calls were returned when a message was left.

After today's contact, I have been given a guide price of about £25.00 for the inner and outer pair fully made up. My son is currently out in the snow and darkness trying to remove the present broken cable so that it can be sent as a template as early as possible.

VOC 11817
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 19:43   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

I seem to remember their service was far from "speedy" last year when they made me a cable for my Smiths 343 .. a great job when it arrived though ... Before this with other special jobs for me they were always very fast and efficient however ...
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 01:20   #9
migrator
Aye - him again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I seem to remember their service was far from "speedy" last year when they made me a cable for my Smiths 343 .. a great job when it arrived though ... Before this with other special jobs for me they were always very fast and efficient however ...
They tell me that someone is off sick - one of the cable people - so 'Andy' is well loaded with work. My cable has now been removed from the car and is boxed ready to go in the morning. I will keep chasing them for completion.

VOC 11817