Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air suspension service required

Views : 13240

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2019, 20:20   #11
Quacker
Premier Member

This and bursting airbags and leaks and valves is why, after having several vehicles with air suspension, is why I specified a mechanically sprung XC90. Because if I wanted to keep it long term it would be far cheaper to maintain in working order.

Not against air suspension as such. It has great benefits in some situations. It makes it easier for the infirm to climb in and out of tall cars. It increases ground clearance for off-roading. Plus….errr….umm, that's about it realistically as far as 'significant' benefits go.
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 09:59   #12
Discoman

My XC90 has air suspension and I am glad that I ordered it - easy entry, dynamic firmer option when needed, softer ride most of the time, off road mode for flooded roads etc etc - but I understand why others may not want the hassle and cost as the cars get older.

On my last Discovery I had to replace the compressor in year four and it was about £900 fitted incl VAT albeit I then got a goodwill reduction on this. Strangely my previous Discovery got through nine years with no failure.
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 10:28   #13
gaby
Premier Member

The only reason our XC90 has air suspension is that it keeps the car level when loaded.
To me it is the most undervalued advantage of air suspension, I see it as a safety feature.
I would have prefered the auto-leveling system of the XC70.
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 09:01   #14
Giles11

I've just had the noise from the rear suspension and the orange warning sign meaning I have to go to the dealer asap. Front suspension unaffected but rear has collapsed although I can drive slowly.

I am 60 miles from home and it's a weekend. Does anyone know if the car can be driven that distance on the motorway or if Volvo Assistance required? Many thanks
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 09:11   #15
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles11 View Post
I've just had the noise from the rear suspension and the orange warning sign meaning I have to go to the dealer asap. Front suspension unaffected but rear has collapsed although I can drive slowly.

I am 60 miles from home and it's a weekend. Does anyone know if the car can be driven that distance on the motorway or if Volvo Assistance required? Many thanks
Press the Volvo on call button and ask for advice, its there to help you in situations like this. They will advise you on what to do or send assistance.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 10:38   #16
scottiecb19

Hi, apologies for resurrecting an older thread. I've come across the same issue with the blown fuse/ suspension not rising. I managed to get a fuse from Volvo, and the parts guy said there were known faults on the suspension. My 2017 is clearly outside of warranty, but should this still be fixed as a warranty/recall issue free of charge?
scottiecb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 07:18   #17
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiecb19 View Post
Hi, apologies for resurrecting an older thread. I've come across the same issue with the blown fuse/ suspension not rising. I managed to get a fuse from Volvo, and the parts guy said there were known faults on the suspension. My 2017 is clearly outside of warranty, but should this still be fixed as a warranty/recall issue free of charge?
If the car has a full and up to date Volvo service history there is a small chance that a dealership could cover the full cost of repair as it's a known issue but most likely on a car so far out of warranty would be Volvo offering a 'good will' contribution towards the cost of replacement. What % of the full cost that turns out to be will depend on how generous the dealer in question is at the time and what level of Volvo service history the car has.

Good luck!!

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 14:44   #18
Sphinx2000

If I remember correctly the cost of replacing compressor and fuse was around £650.

Definitely worth pursuing with Volvo to see if are willing to cover some parts of the cost.
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 00:59   #19
Robocop0603

Hello team !

I had problem today with rear air suspension. Volvo XC90, 2017.

I was driving, with passangers. Everything was working fine then out of nowhere, just 10 minutes in the drive, I could feel very well when I drove over a small hole on the road, shortly after i felt that the car was sitting on the back side. I think that the air was maybe out just before I drove over the hole and thats why I felt so well when going over those hole.

I tried to set to different driving mode but nothing happend. Stopped at next gas station and the car was all the way down on the rear. I made a dissision to go back home. On our way back all of a sudden the air came back and the car was back to normal.

So I turned around again and the group went out for a dinner. Came out, 2 hours later and the car looked normal, was not sitting low or anything like that. All on board and then the car just lowered down again.. Drove for 2 min and tried to set different driving mode.. Then again all af a sudden everything was back to normal.

So it seems like it is not a leak. The pressure must be working. I am thinking this must be something of a "brain" problem or what. Does anybody have any idea?

It has been cold here in Iceland last days but today not so, just around -5 celsius.
Robocop0603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 00:15   #20
safrane

Well, it must be that time of year.

Came out of the farm to see the XC90 sat on its bottom and after starting the car it took a good 5 minutes to stand correctly. After switching it off again it lost all the rear hight after half an hour...great!

Volvo on call sent a mechanic to me within an hour and a half (great service), but the driver did not listen to the warning that a low-loader would not be able to fit up the farm track and he almost sank into the adjoing field.

Thankfully after reversing back for a mile and finally finding a place to turn round, the 90 was loaded and sent off to Volvo Carlisle to see what has gone wrong...Will let you know the price when I get the call.
safrane is offline   Reply With Quote