Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

122s overdrive problems

Views : 444

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2019, 20:50   #1
Damoyorkie

Default 122s overdrive problems

Dear All,

I’ve just rewired the youngest lad’s overdrive.

A horrible switch on the dash has been replaced with the proper switch on the steering column. I had to replace the dash switch with a green Halfords lamp.

We took the car out for a drive night and noticed the overdrive was dropping out when on the main beam.

I’ve checked the oil level of the gearbox/overdrive and we have had to put just under a litre of 20w50 oil into the gearbox filler (which was done with a 5cc syringe, as I’d lost my oil can). So the levels are good and it’s full of oil.

Having taken it out and given it a good run, it drops out mainly whenever there is an electrical load put on it, i.e. it drops out whenever it’s in overdrive with headlights on, and the indicators or main beam is operated.

Any ideas as to what I’ve done wrong ? Photos of the wiring as it was and as it is have been attached.

Cheers

Damien
Damoyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 11:32   #2
JP 1800
Master Member

There are no pics attached, if the OD is dropping out when a load is placed on the electrical system I would first look at the fuse box for corrosion and any forms of electrical resistance. You should measure the voltage drop across the fuse box and connections going to the OD solenoid to ascertain how much of a drop is measured. I would also do likewise for the headlamps. Lastly is the OD solenoid connected to a relay or directly wired to the switch?
JP 1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 13:07   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Damo;

OD Sol should be independent of other loads on elec sys, but if it acts as if associated with other loads, that suggests a Voltage Drop typically caused by an in-line resistance due to a poor connection or corrosion as JP mentions, can be the cause.

If OD is connected as it should be for a 122 or 123, as shown here, supplied from Fuse 1: https://www.sw-em.com/123GT-Wiring-Diagram_US.jpg (see items: 18, 19, 25, with 35 being the switch), I'd double-check wiring, and measure voltage supplied vs voltage at Sol when activating those loads that seem to affect it and cause it to drop out (this strongly suggests an interaction due to supply VD), and I have explained this here: https://www.sw-em.com/electical_circuit_interaction.htm [See: Power Side Inadvertent Circuit Interaction and Figure 1.].

...so the solution is to locate and minimize VD (start with all Ign Power connections, from Ign Sw term 54, to Fuse 1, also low side[chassis connection of OD Control Sw 35])...alternately, supplying the OD circuit from Ign Power terminal 54 of Ign Sw, with its own dedicated Fuse.

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 23:12   #4
Damoyorkie

Many thanks JP and Ron.

You are legends both.

He’s away back to Scotland tomorrow first thing, taking the Amazon with him, so I’ll check the corrosion first thing, but probably won’t have the time to check the voltage drops.

When he’s back at Christmas I can have a little tinker.

Cheers once again chaps.

Damien
Damoyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote