Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T8 Battery Replacement

Views : 5344

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2019, 21:37   #11
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
The top pic is a 505
Yeah, I changed it after realising
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 21:55   #12
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Someone please tell me my friend is wrong. He was considering a XC90 T8, so asked about battery life. He was told the batteries were warranted for 8 years, and the replacement cost is £36,000 !!!!
Needless to say, as he keeps his cars for years, the T8 was no longer on the list.
I am not sure you own the battery and it would not cost anywhere near that to have one replaced, it came up on this forum before and a much lower figure was mentioned (less than 10k) as I do not have a T8 I did not take too much notice, someone will come along soon with the correct info. To buy one outright it may cost £36k but it does not work like that.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 22:05   #13
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
I think we're moving closer and closer to cars just lasting 5 years and then being recycled. No-one in their right mind is going to pay £36,000 to replace the batteries after 8 years.

Ditto all the technology in the cars. I've said before that I'm fairly certain the shadow mask adaptive beam headlights in the SPA cars are about £1200 each side. If one fails or gets smashed in an accident, it'll potentially write off an 8 yr old car for insurance purposes if it's going to be £2.5k for the front lights alone, and the rest ...(bumpers, front parking sensors, etc etc etc).

I'm feeling retro tonight, but remember when you struggled over the replacement headlamp bulb at Halfords being the £5 bright one or the £10 super-ultra bright halogen one. No change from £1000+ now
I do like that term 'feeling retro' Must use it

I' m pretty sure my 2.5 year old V90 will be worth peanuts in another 4 -5 years time. A small packet at that!
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 22:37   #14
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
The top pic is a 505
Indeed it is the 504 was the saloon.

My uncle had a 504 what a sofa on wheels it was, although spent much of it's life languishing in the dealers broken.

Back in the back if a run of the mile car got to 100,000 miles it'd had a good innings.

My dad was a National Accounts manager, his company car policy was 100,000 miles or 2 yrs whichever occurred 1st. Normally his Cortina's would die before reaching either of the Trigger points.

Back in the day when he used to collect his new car the 1st step was to book the 1500 mile 1st service for the following week.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 22:41   #15
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
Indeed it is the 504 was the saloon.
Not quite. The 504 was the earlier model, both saloon and estate. I had one.
The 505 followed again both saloon and estate.
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 05:17   #16
dling

Quote:
Someone please tell me my friend is wrong. He was considering a XC90 T8, so asked about battery life. He was told the batteries were warranted for 8 years, and the replacement cost is £36,000 !!!!
Needless to say, as he keeps his cars for years, the T8 was no longer on the list.
How much does a diesel / petrol engine cost? Or the auto gearbox? Their warranty is only 5 years...

I would advise your friend to get the T8 if he affords it and makes sense for him (eg at least half of his rides are below 50 km both ways). The driving experience in the T8 is fabulous. I would also recommend the air suspension and the sound proofed windows for the complete “floating” experience
dling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 08:39   #17
MaDProFF
Master Member

There is no way a set of batteries in a T8 is 50% well actually if they were £36k that would make them 65% the cost of my car XC60 T8 (same batteries) other wise a T5 would be like 25k

How are people so stupid to even think that.
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 15:57   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
It is heresay :-) The T8 battery is £18000 however no one is going to buy a new battery and casing and all the electronic gear inside , you get them reconditioned , Volvo are setting up a repair service where cell packs can be changed . Each one is monitored as to it's condition , if you have just one weak cell it can be replaced . I dare say the people who have been keeping the Toyota Prius going for the last 15 years have methods as well !
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 10:27   #19
Loofer

reviving old thread but does anybody know if it's possible to change the battery for the larger one?
Might need other HV electronics changed at same time too.

I know it's been done on EVs like Leaf
Loofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 10:59   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loofer View Post
reviving old thread but does anybody know if it's possible to change the battery for the larger one?
Might need other HV electronics changed at same time too.

I know it's been done on EVs like Leaf
a battery for the 2015 D6 was around £18000 from the parts dept. . its going to be a lot more now as it is much more complex and may not be "just" the battery you need. Its not feasible.