Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are DRL's a good safty feature that shouldn't be turned off?

Views : 12526

Replies : 98

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are DRL's a good safty feature that shouldn't be turned off?
No, If people can't see me with my lights off in the daylight, they shouldn't be driving at all. 0 0%
No, If people can't see me with my lights off in the daylight, they shouldn't be driving at all. 61 100.00%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 10th, 2008, 18:31   #91
D5driver
No Spam here

Yes i think they should stay turned on, my lights (S60 D5) cant be turned off manually and i wont be paying to have them switched off. Plus its good to stand out :-)
D5driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 18:41   #92
jimboynugget

I think DRLs are a good idea. Anything that increases the visibility of a car is a good thing. Lots of accidents are caused by factors such as "looked but did not see." I also like the way that I never have to remember to turn my lights on or off.

I just wish that people would have their full complement of lights at night! There seems to be a rise in the number of cars on the road with only one headlight in recent years. Or is this just my imagination?
jimboynugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 22:14   #93
hansol

I've got my DRL's turned off but the headlight switch is always on. I got fed up with having to remember to turn the lights on the get main beam.

I have noticed that I tend to get less people carving me up in a volvo than in my previous cars, so I'm happy to leave them on and pay for a few extra bulbs.
hansol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 06:44   #94
2120sma

Having lights on in daylight hours where cars do not is the only 'edge' that the motor biker has regarding visibility. If every car too has lights on, the biker would not stand out. Stands to reason this would lead to more biker roadkill.
regards, mart
2120sma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 12:02   #95
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokins View Post
I Volvo have them fitted because in Nordic regions its been a legal requirement for many years to have DRL's on all cars and it is about time all other countries realised how much safer it is to have them and at long last they are starting to listen.

Conclusion:
Personal choice but I do have my headlights on all day every day regardless of the time or weather conditions.
Don't forget in Nordic regions 6 months of the year its poor light 24 hrs a day , not 8 as here. saying that I think its a good simple safety measure, and it was law
once if I remember that cars built after a certain years had to have daylight running tights. correct me if i am wrong . my memory has never been my best feature.
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 12:36   #96
v8disco

I am constantly amazed that people excersise their "right" to personal preference and chose to have the DRLs switched off. They are a proven safety feature in the countries where they are compulsory, not just in winter conditions but in mid summer sunshine as well.

Make DRLs mandatory on all new cars in the same way that ABS, seat belts etc have been made mandatory over the years. Lives will be saved, accidents will be prevented, all for an almost insignificant cost.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 19:01   #97
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2120sma View Post
Having lights on in daylight hours where cars do not is the only 'edge' that the motor biker has regarding visibility. If every car too has lights on, the biker would not stand out. Stands to reason this would lead to more biker roadkill.
regards, mart
In the US there are modulators available which change the brightness up and down to help the bikes stand out amongst the cars with DRL. I also notice in the UK that some bikers use a coloured filter to help them stand out. Maybe if DRl become a legal requirement bikers should be allowed the modulaotrs and/or colour filters.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 20:10   #98
Volvo-in-my-blood
V70 D5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8disco View Post
I am constantly amazed that people excersise their "right" to personal preference and chose to have the DRLs switched off. They are a proven safety feature in the countries where they are compulsory, not just in winter conditions but in mid summer sunshine as well.
I have at least one definitive occasion when DRLs prevented a head on crash. Thankfullly they meant the idiot driving a Renault and cutting to my side of the road (on a bend) finally saw me and took action as I has no where else to go!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 13:21   #99
jonny57

Drls are a very good safety feature-the only thing is remembering to turn the lights on if you are driving some else's car that is not a Volvo(drove girlfiend's Audi a good few hundred yards the other night with no lights on!)doh!
jonny57 is offline   Reply With Quote