Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyres for T5R

Views : 3535

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 23:07   #1
noiseboy
VOC Member

Default Tyres for T5R

Hi Guys,

There have been many discussions on the boards about tyres.

The problem comes if your a T5R owner.....

When looking for a 205/45/ZR17 tyre, Pirelli PZero Assimetrico seems to be the only option apart from cheap stuff??

Does anyone know of a tyre manufacturer who is making this size and in any quality......??

Also, I know some people are running 215/40/ZR17s on T5Rs which are 5% wider with 3% smaller rolling radius.... how does this affect the handling?? do they scrub on full steering lock??? what about speedo accuracy.

I mistakenly tried 225/45/ZR17s last time, and had to take them straight back off the car because they only fit on the un-lowered T5....... Pirellis are due for a change again, answers on a postcard please!

Thanks,

Phil.

www.t5r.org
noiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2001, 08:39   #2
Malcolm Mitchell

Hi Phil,
I recently had this problem of choice when replacing the tyres on my V70R, a mate of mine who is a local tyre supplier had a good look round and we eventually settled for Dunlop SP sport 9000's. These were about £25 cheaper per tyre than the Pirelli's and perform really well in the wet and dry - nice tread pattern as well!! There are plenty of cheap tyres around with spurious names but don't even go there with an 'R':-)
Best wishes
Malc.
Old Oct 25th, 2001, 08:57   #3
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: Tyres for T5R

If you look at the Tyres Online website (though not for buying as the prices are pretty steep) you can find info on lots of 205/45/17 tyres - Michelin, Continental, Dunlop, Kumho, Falken to name but a few.

I may go for the Michelin Pilot Sports shortly, though the Continental SportContacts may be another contender.

Currently, I had Kumhos fitted by the supplying dealer and they are reasonable, so if funds are tight, give them a go.

And yes, DON'T fit larger/lower tyres, they scrub.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2001, 09:34   #4
noiseboy
VOC Member

OK... So now I'm really confused.

If I run a web search for 205/45/17 I get ONLY Pirellis and Michelin Pilot Sports available, so do my local tyre garage - only they get a Yokohama tyre as well.

Whereas if I run a search for 215/40/17 I get every manufacturer under the sun!

What actual size are you guys refering to when you talk about Contis and Dunlops and other makes, because they dont seem to be available in 205/45/17!! I think I'll put a call through to Volvo Technical and see what they say.

Thanks,

Phil.

www.t5r.org
Old Oct 25th, 2001, 13:47   #5
Gareth

Speaking from experience....

Remeber my incident from the lorry...

My tyres are Goodyear Eagle F1...

Theese type handle very well and even being hit a 40mph by a 16 wheeler only caused the car to spin 90 degree's...

They hold the road in wet and dry... Not to sure about cold weather though...

Not sure how much they are either. My fronts are wearing out at around 25k.

Gareth
Old Oct 25th, 2001, 13:54   #6
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

HI phil ,

If you were to ask me , try some yokohamas they always stick very well and in the wet too , Bridgestones are good too . My friend James Hoseason had a v70 awd that was chipped at superchips and (it was the first one to be ,development car in fact) and had what volvo put on the car . he was completely happy . With tyres you end up with what you pay for , compound , construction , tread pattern all are different with each tyre . try to keep as close to manufacturers spec as possible unless yo go racing then its up yo you to find out how much it costs to find the right tyre or develop it

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 17:54   #7
Malcolm Mitchell

Phil,
My Dunlop SP Sport 9000's are 205 section as per Pirelli's but are not assimetrical.
Malc.
Old Oct 26th, 2001, 10:12   #8
duncan hancox

almost every manufacturer makes a 205/45/17 in z rating

you get what you pay for with tyres!

i disliked the pirelli Pzero because they didnt grip well in the wet, particularly with boost running 1.1bar!

i tried cheap tyres like Faulkden but they didnt grip in the dry either....

finally settled on Bridestone SO2 and recently SO3 - brilliantly grippy, even in the wet, handle extremely well, and no more costly than Goodyear NCT5 if you shop around.

like many performance tyres, they dont last long on the front though.

I paid £125 all in for 215/45/17 from my local petrol station
Old Oct 26th, 2001, 10:55   #9
pettaw
Forum Support Team

hi, phil,
you mentioned putting a call through to Volvo technical. Is there a number that customers can use to contact them, or is it through the dealers only?

Interested to know because when I have had technical queries before, my dealer has not wanted to know and although they put through a query to technical, they came up with a weird answer, maybe they were asking the wrong questions!

Thanks very much,

Andy
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2001, 11:30   #10
noiseboy
VOC Member

Duncan,

I want SO3s, but they dont list a 205/45/17.

Some people run 215/40/17 (3% smaller rolling radius)

Some people run 215/45/17 (2% larger rolling radius)

I know from bitter experience that 225/45/17 SO3s scrub on a T5R. Before I buy tyres that are not the OEM size again, I need to know that they fit properly.

Anyone?

Phil.

www.t5r.org