Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 Engine System Service Required

Views : 4429

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 16:18   #1
RickyYates

Default C30 Engine System Service Required

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

Yesterday I bought a C30 D5, 57 reg from Southampton which is about 70 miles away from where I live. Before collection the dealer said he would service, tax and put an MOT on the car.

On my drive home along the M3 the car was fine, but then today on my drive home from work the orange 'I' symbol illuminated up on my dashboard with the message 'Engine System Service Required'.

Immediately I rang the car dealership (its not a Volvo dealership) to notify them and they said to bring it back to them and they could plug it into a machine and get it reset. I told them its too far to get it done and if it is something more serious then its not worth the risk of the long journey.

I'm starting to wonder if the dealership actually serviced my car, but if he didn't then wouldn't the light of been on when I picked it up? I didn't receive any receipts or proof of service papers apart from a stamp in my service book. A test drive prior to me buying the car had the orange light on with the same message so I just assumed it was due a service, which is what he said he would do.

I'm guessing that I should take it to Volvo and have them plug in their computer to find any codes etc but I feel I shouldn't be paying for this service.

Apart from the light coming on there doesn't seem to be any problems with the car, it doesn't lose power, it drives well, it starts first time etc.

Any advice, opinions, previous experiences welcome.

Thanks

Last edited by RickyYates; Jul 23rd, 2014 at 16:36.
RickyYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 17:22   #2
steV50

If the car was serviced by a non Volvo dealer the message may be because they filled the oil up to the maximum mark. The D5 should only be filled up to 2/3rds on the dipstick. There was a problem with rising oil level on these cars a few years back and there was a recall for a software update and oil level was reduced to 2/3rds. Hope this helps.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 17:47   #3
RickyYates

Stev50,

Thanks for replying. I checked the oil levels in the car and it's full. I'd even say it's over full as the oil comes up above the markings on the dip stick. I hope that this is the cause of the problem and nothing else. It wasn't serviced by Volvo before purchase. It's had 5 services in total and 4 of them have been from Volvo.
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 18:27   #4
steV50

If it were me I would take the car to Volvo to get it checked. If it is just the case it has been overfilled with oil I'm not sure but it may also need to be connected to Volvo diagnostics to clear the message.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 21:18   #5
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Ricky,

You have 100% identified your problem and that you now have too much oil in the car. As steV50 rightfully points out the oil level should sit between 2/3 and 3/4 up the original MIN to MAX markings on the dipstick.

Your car should also have a sticker by the dipstick somewhere to say the new revised level too??

Resolution, remove some oil to the now correct revised level for a D5 and the light will go out after a day or 2. No need for expensive checks this time by running to Volvo just any garage or competent person can remove a bit of oil (300ml).

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 21:53   #6
RickyYates

Thumbs up

Thanks for your comment SonyVaio.

I will take the car to a local garage tomorrow to get some oil removed and I'll also look for this sticker you mentioned by the dipstick. Having checked the oil only a few hours ago I don't recall seeing a sticker next to it.

I'll update this post when the problem is sorted out
The Following User Says Thank You to RickyYates For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 18:42   #7
raife

I had exactly the same with my 57 D5.

Lots on here about it.

As already said its a warning for rising oil levels due to fuel making its way into the oil during the regeneration of the DPF.

The recall added software and sensor to warn of the issue and there is a sticker in the engine bay warning the person filling with oil to only meet the halfway mark on the dipstick - I was told this allows for the oil to rise between the service intervals.
raife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 20:03   #8
RickyYates

Thanks Raife,

Looks like I won't be able to get it into a garage until Sunday/Early next week due to work commitments.

Does anyone know if the problem will get worse if I keep driving the car? Is too much oil in an engine a bad thing?
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 22:45   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyYates View Post
Thanks Raife,

Looks like I won't be able to get it into a garage until Sunday/Early next week due to work commitments.

Does anyone know if the problem will get worse if I keep driving the car? Is too much oil in an engine a bad thing?
It can be yes as gaskets and seals can be blown.
It doesn't have to be a garage job either.
You remove the sump plug and drain all the oil, then replace with the correct amount. Because your oil change was so recent, you could even reuse what you drain, as long as the container is clean.
Even easier and cleaner,you can also buy an oil syringe which have around a half litre capacity. With that, you just stick the tube down the dipstick hole and remove the amount required.
Old Jul 26th, 2014, 15:33   #10
RickyYates

Update:

I took your advice CheshireD5, thanks, and got an oil syringe to take out the oil. I noticed on the dipstick there's a groove about 3/4 of the way up and now the oil is sitting below that.

The light hasn't gone out yet which I am aware of as others have posted that it wouldn't. Fingers crossed it goes out in a day or two.

Thanks again for everyone's replies and advice
The Following User Says Thank You to RickyYates For This Useful Post: