Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 boot lock problems

Views : 5046

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2014, 17:52   #1
Andycreer

Default S40 boot lock problems

Hi, I have a 2005 volvo s40 1.8 petrol.i filled the boot on Sunday full, I may have pushed some stuff in also. When I tried to open the boot a few hours, it would not open. All the other door locks open and close as they should and all other electrics work fine. I believe it is either the wiring loom or the actual locking mechanism. Any thoughts .......
Andycreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 15:40   #2
alexstanleyv50

Had this on the V50. Turned out to be the micro switch. Cant remember the part number but it was easy to source and replace.

Best way to check is to remove the number plate lighting unit (four torx screws I think) and rig up a wire to close the circuit. IIRC that's what I did and the book lock opened.

If this is the case the part cost me £14 from main dealer (it should be a microswitch within a plastic mounting plate that also houses the num plate bulbs) and took minutes to replace.

Hope this helps....

2004 V50 T5 SE 6 Speed Manual The Death Star...
2009 S40 2.0i R-Design 5 Speed Manual The Flash Car...
alexstanleyv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 16:38   #3
Wooders

I would put my money on the loom.I had to repair my 2005 S40 loom last week,all the wires where damaged,I took a pic as I was going to post on here for people with this age of car to check theirs but for some reason cannot get it to upload!!
I managed to get mine open by pushing down on the top left corner of the boot near the rear screen (where the loom is) whilst trying to open the boot.I was lucky enough for the broken wires to touch and get it open.Fairly easy fix once it's open.
Wooders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 20:46   #4
Andycreer

I've had a look at the loom (best I can) and it appears ok. The lights still work, but this could still be the loom??
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 22:57   #5
Rooster
Speed freak

If its an s40 wiring looms goosed, can try banging boot lit on left hand side see if it will come open,

There about 30 quid for a new loom from dealers, wouldn't bother trying to repair it as it will just break again (been there done that),

Its a climb into boot and boot panel off and 3 torx screws on boot lock and undo connector and boot will open, replace loom and plug boot lock in and unlock it off stricker then refit into bootlid,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 04:29   #6
Wooders

Mine where all damaged,only when one finally breaks will you notice,although one of my Reg plate bulbs had blown too,not sure how long it had been like that though.
They break inside the flex rubber tube that connects from the car to the boot lid,the bit that gets bent,then straightened each time you open and close the boot,inevitable really.
I priced a new loom at £40,which I thought a bit steep for a couple of feet of cable so
I cut the wires 6" each side of the splits,soldered and heat shrinked new lengths in.
Ok so far,but it's only been a week!!
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 04:48   #7
Wooders

Hopefully this pic works!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0057.JPG (143.4 KB, 29 views)
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 13:03   #8
homer timpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycreer View Post
I've had a look at the loom (best I can) and it appears ok. The lights still work, but this could still be the loom??
When you say "you'd had a look", what do you mean exactly?

Mine had the same problem 2 weeks ago - the only way to see the loom was by crawling through the back seats, removing the interior cover of the boot lid, getting a spanner to undo the three bolts holding the boot locking mechanism in place (this allows the boot to open a little) - then crawling back out of the car and 'carefully' removing the connectors that are on the locking mechanism - this then allows the boot to fully open up.

I then got better access to the wiring loom (where it quite often fails) - initial inspection of the wires appeared ok - when I pulled the tubing back a couple of inches it soon revealed a broken wire!!

Hope you get it sorted.

Homer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harness.jpg (170.7 KB, 23 views)
homer timpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 11:26   #9
nbuuifx

I had the same a few weeks back, wiring loom was perfect but the microswitch had given up.

I was able to make a jumper wire which I crawled into the boot to use and open the boot - I put a post on here somewhere with instructions.

However I later discovered that for whatever reason if you take apart the section with the switch in and unplug the dead switch then plug it back in again the boot opens - so that might be a good test to see if it is the same fault.

Here was my last post on the problem...

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=195328

Last edited by nbuuifx; Aug 2nd, 2014 at 11:31.
nbuuifx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 11:31   #10
Andycreer

Hi all, new loom has arrived and very quickly, I plugged two ends in, one into the connection under the boot, and one into the locking mechanism , the third I left out. Still no joy, I presume all parts need to be connected to establish if it works???