Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lost 1965 P1800 ignition key

Views : 3967

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2013, 08:22   #1
julian67

Default Lost 1965 P1800 ignition key

Hi

Could anyone suggest a simple way to start my 1965 P1800 without too much damage? I lost the key?

Or, if someone knows where I can get one cut, if I provide the chassis + engine no?

Or maybe I have to buy a complete ignition barrel! If so, would anyone have one for sale + price?

I have a Swedish friend who could go to his nearest scrapyard and maybe get one off another Volvo model from around the same year.

Can't remember if there is one key for the ignition/doors and boot!

Many thanks
julian67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 10:12   #2
markymar93

I am in the same boat. I'm having my 1800 restored and I don't have the key for door handles or ignition. So any advice will be appreciated by me aswell. Thanks mark
markymar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 22:05   #3
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

get a bunch of older keys and try them with a wiggle that will 9/10 with a close cut key do the job

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 22:57   #4
volvonic272

The other way is to remove the lock barrel from one of the handles, the boot maybe the easiest.
If the lock barrel is original then it will have a three numbers on it, this is
the key number.
This number should be prefixed with letters FS.
This should fit doors, boot, and petrol flap.
Keys can be usually found at autojumbles or on ebay.

Hope this helps.

Dave
volvonic272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 03:48   #5
TMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian67 View Post
Hi

Could anyone suggest a simple way to start my 1965 P1800 without too much damage? I lost the key?

Or, if someone knows where I can get one cut, if I provide the chassis + engine no?

Or maybe I have to buy a complete ignition barrel! If so, would anyone have one for sale + price?

I have a Swedish friend who could go to his nearest scrapyard and maybe get one off another Volvo model from around the same year.

Can't remember if there is one key for the ignition/doors and boot!

Many thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymar93 View Post
I am in the same boat. I'm having my 1800 restored and I don't have the key for door handles or ignition. So any advice will be appreciated by me aswell. Thanks mark
I may be able to help here as when I was having my P1800 restored I needed a new set of keys making up. Let me speak to my chap and I'll get back to you in the next day or so.

Mark
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 12:36   #6
skysurfer
VOC Member

I bought a new ignition barrel and keys for my P1800 from Brookhouse about 2 years ago. Maybe they still have some in stock?
skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 13:17   #7
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Temporary

If there's any prospect of finding the keys the car can be temporarily started and driven by bypassing the ignition switch eg with a biggish toggle switch and a push button for the starter motor. The feed to the coil is enclosed in an armoured cable so you can't get at it. Simplest non-destructive route is to wire in a second coil in the engine bay.
If you only want to move the car a short distance you can just add a coil connected to the battery positive and operate the starter by shorting across from the main terminal to the solenoid connection. Make sure it's out of gear etc.
The ignition switch lock barrel is held in place by a lock button that only depresses if the key is inserted and turned to the on position. Forcing it out is possible with minimal damage but you have to be patient and careful, especially on an 1800 with that shiny aluminium dash surface.
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 13:15   #8
RhysLH

Default Boot key fits ignition?

Hi guys,

I am in the same boat - I bought a P1800 project with no keys!

All the doors /boot can be opened with misc old keys that we picked up at car boot sales / auto-jumbles - in fact the locks are so worn a screwdriver would probably open them.

The ignition however has far less wear and tear so requires something that fits.

I have removed the boot lock in the hope that the key that I'm having cut will fit the ignition. It was sent off today and will take up to 2 weeks.

It looks like the boot lock is original and it's the original boot, hopefully this will be a success story...

Has anyone had any luck with this method?
RhysLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 13:18   #9
RhysLH

Hi Mark, did you get your key situation sorted?
RhysLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 13:47   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

The ignition key is a completely different type to the small FS type for the doors boot etc. Either find your key, get a locksmith to have a go (expensive), get lucky with an alternate key or get your drill out. A new sharp bit is recommended. Take it easy and go in a little at a time.
Brookhouse should have a new barrel and key set. A new hybrid type is being made which doesn't suffer from the broken key problem. Drill and replace might turn out the cheapest way, as long as you're careful.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote