Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are Volvo taking the proverbial...?

Views : 5312

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2022, 11:02   #1
Pete1967

Default Are Volvo taking the proverbial...?

So as a follow up to my message yesterday about the multicolour theatre lighting in my 22MY V90 with Google, I've come to the conclusion that Volvo are actually having a laugh with us. So far the features I've become accustomed to from my 19MY V90 that are missing in this one are:

CarPlay/Android Auto
Multi-colour lighting
Car drive modes (I use Eco all the time)
The ability to review messages
The integration with iPhone is dreadful
Swapping between media and radio from the steering wheel
Cant swap between pilot assist and adaptive cruise from the steering wheel
The app doesn't have the driving journal
The app doesn't have vehicle stats like fuel or temperature
The app doesn't have tracking.

There's probably more but this is surely a retrograde step as well as a safety issue making you do things more from the centre display. I work in IT and I'm utterly familiar with Agile software development so I understand that that they'll continuously build and release features, but it just feels to me that they've decided to get in to bed with Google, probably in an outsource arrangement, and have rushed the system out resulting in a poor and disappointing customer experience. Right now I'm seriously considering sending the car back and buying a slightly older one with the last incarnation of Sensus.

Or have I missed something...?
Pete1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 11:37   #2
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Shouldn't have bought it then. Simples. Moaning won't change it.

Certainly comparing one models features with another is a valid buying proposition, but the whole opening post smacks of "first world problems" and a rather vocal sense of entitlement. If this is all you have to complain about then you're doing better than a lot of people who are having to choose between eating or heating - after all, you work in IT so can doubtless afford both. In that regard I would respectfully suggest that you are the one taking the provervial.

Nothing wrong with your observations, but the manner in which you present them is quite unfortunate. Some humilty and perspective might be in order.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 11:39   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Or have I missed something...?[/QUOTE]

Yes you pay more for less.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 12:08   #4
Maccaboy10

Family man 90. Very harsh reply!!!
Maccaboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maccaboy10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 12:21   #5
Tresco85

Yes a very harsh reply. Until you had bought the car you wouldn’t have found all these things out and then it is too late. I will certainly not be changing ours to a new one anytime soon and if so I am pretty sure it would not be a Volvo after owning Volvo’s for years.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 12:42   #6
Dohnut

Agree with others re Familyman.

OP is perfectly entitled to rant about his Volvo on a Volvo forum without having his humanity questioned.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 13:06   #7
MikeGMT
VOC Member

As this thread and others have highlighted, when buying a new car, times they are a changing. In this new world buying a new vehicle is akin to purchasing a new Phone, Laptop, Computer and it's ilk, you are buying a device on wheels. You could spend hours trying to make sure all the tech works and it is what you require, and still miss something, (even if that was feasible). Made all the more difficult when you factor in prospective Over The Air (OTA) updates and Apps. You could be in the situation were you buy a car with the promise of OTA apps; and change the vehicle and never get to experience the new software. A test drive is probably low on the check list in the new car buying experience.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 13:19   #8
Tony H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
A test drive is probably low on the check list in the new car buying experience.
This is more difficult as well, with some manufacturers doing away with dealerships and expecting you to do the whole buying process online.

You can only go by the pictures and descriptions. If you were to look at the infotainment system on a MY18 V90 and a MY23 V90 you wouldn't know that there were such significant changes.

Why would you expect the Smartphone integration to be so wildly different or the operation of cruise control to be so cumbersome compared to the previous model year? It isn't like it is a whole new car (eg the change between the old Sensus V60 to the new touchscreen version)
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 14:57   #9
Rich850R
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post

Certainly comparing one models features with another is a valid buying proposition, but the whole opening post smacks of "first world problems" and a rather vocal sense of entitlement. If this is all you have to complain about then you're doing better than a lot of people who are having to choose between eating or heating - after all, you work in IT so can doubtless afford both. In that regard I would respectfully suggest that you are the one taking the provervial.

Nothing wrong with your observations, but the manner in which you present them is quite unfortunate. Some humilty and perspective might be in order.
bellend
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rich850R For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 16:05   #10
key76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post

Not really sure how you can berate someone else claiming their reasonable gripe is "first world problems" while listing in your signature a car seemingly used to tow your daughters horse box. Nice that your daughter has an expensive pastime you can fund the vehicle to tow (after all you say it was yours previously and I very much doubt you sold it to your daughter)! Wonder if you'll be helping those less fortunate who can't afford to heat/eat at the same time! No, I didn't think so either.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to key76 For This Useful Post: