Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reliability

Views : 2574

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2012, 11:05   #1
Ian H

Default Reliability

We've just ordered a new XC90 (SE, Automatic) and one of the big factors that we took into account was that we will be keeping it for a long time and Volvo's reputation for reliability and high mileage.

I've now discovered this web site and forum and, whilst gaining loads of good information, I'm now starting to wonder. I see posts about all sorts of problems, including 4 wheel drive that doesn't work, gearboxes that need replacing after low mileage, all manner of electrical faults.....and I wonder whether we made the right decision?

(Another contender was a Kia Sorrento - the 7 year warranty made us think they must be reliable, but I felt they had a slightly 'cheap' feel to them).

What do you think - am I reading too much into these posts? Did we make the right decision?
Ian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 11:51   #2
chb
Master Member

Smile

Nobody ever posts on here to say "my car is working fine, what should I do?"
The 4WD problem effects only the older 163bhp models, and costs about £300-400 to fix.
The other problems are niggles mainly. So don't take the posts on here as a winge-fest, take it as a group of engaged interested owners who are keeping their cars in tiptop condition. The number of posts is also based on the number of owners, so the more people own a particular car then the more negative (and positive) comments you will see.
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chb For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 12:06   #3
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
We've just ordered a new XC90 (SE, Automatic) and one of the big factors that we took into account was that we will be keeping it for a long time and Volvo's reputation for reliability and high mileage.

I've now discovered this web site and forum and, whilst gaining loads of good information, I'm now starting to wonder. I see posts about all sorts of problems, including 4 wheel drive that doesn't work, gearboxes that need replacing after low mileage, all manner of electrical faults.....and I wonder whether we made the right decision?

(Another contender was a Kia Sorrento - the 7 year warranty made us think they must be reliable, but I felt they had a slightly 'cheap' feel to them).

What do you think - am I reading too much into these posts? Did we make the right decision?
Wouldnt worry unnecessarily about it. Just enjoy the car and take each day as it comes.

Why create a worry if there isnt one?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 12:23   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

There are no common troubles on new xc90s , they have been out 10 years now so well sorted and modified over the years , all of what you read on here doesnt apply to a new one ( or a 2012 one in 6 or 7 years time ) still a great vehicle ..
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 12:35   #5
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

I would agree with all above...you are purchasing a new car, with a warranty and hopefully a responsive and knowledgeable Volvo main dealer.

For years I ran a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 but age and a dislike of the next model (although the brand new model is a huge improvement - but beyond my budget) so settled on the XC90 - a design that's a decade old so suggests that there is a large enough and satisfied market to support it.

I've just acquired a 2nd hand MY2007 XC90 V8 Exec auto, and even with only 36000 miles on the clock and a full Volvo main dealer service history - all done on time - it has some issues - I expected that and also expect to pay some money to get them sorted...however that's the budget I have but if I had the money to buy this spec new, then I would and would not expect to have any issues on a vehicle that has been this long in production.

And after all it is a good drive...a great cabin and a safer car than most other SUV/SAV type 4WD/AWD cars.
doc4246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 13:20   #6
Ian H

Thanks for the reassurances.
Our current car is a Totota Landcruiser. We've had it from new and it's served us well for over 100k miles (although the air con has stopped working and repairs / servicing tend to be expensive).
A new one was out of our price range but we're hoping that the Volvo will do just as well.
I suspect it won't match the Landcruiser in snow (just ploughed through it as though it wasn't there - even without using the various drive options) but I hope it will be as reliable.
First impressions from test driving are that it will be comfortable and seems to be well built (see original comment about Kia) so looks promising.
Ian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 14:40   #7
Rawas
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reassurances.
Our current car is a Totota Landcruiser. We've had it from new and it's served us well for over 100k miles (although the air con has stopped working and repairs / servicing tend to be expensive).
A new one was out of our price range but we're hoping that the Volvo will do just as well.
I suspect it won't match the Landcruiser in snow (just ploughed through it as though it wasn't there - even without using the various drive options) but I hope it will be as reliable.
First impressions from test driving are that it will be comfortable and seems to be well built (see original comment about Kia) so looks promising.
You definitely made the right decision, mind you though it will not be as reliable as a Land Cruiser, (the single advantage over the XC90). Volvo shines in safety, design, build quality, cabin space, comfort and audio system.Toyotas and Kias need years to catch up.
Unlike what chb mentioned, I am a member here who does not complain about problems with my XC90, because simply there are none.
Two years of ownership, my 2008 3.2 did not go back to the dealer except for scheduled tune ups.
Cheers.
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 06:47   #8
Rawas
Master Member

Default Durability

Yes, forgot about how long they survive.

http://www.ssb.no/bilreg_en/arkiv/bi...01-06-18-01-en.
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 07:11   #9
Rawas
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawas View Post
Yes, forgot about how long they survive.

http://www.ssb.no/bilreg_en/arkiv/bi...01-06-18-01-en.
sorry for the previous link
http://www.ssb.no/bilreg_en/arkiv/bi...-18-01-en.html
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 10:24   #10
grin factor

I had similar feelings when I bought a new Rover 75 1.8T conny yrs ago. I joined a forum and read about all sorts of problems with the car. I had mine 7 yrs without any problems what so ever.
Enjoy the car, I'm sure it will be fine
grin factor is offline   Reply With Quote