Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat Nav / RTTI / Avoid Traffic Events

Views : 1396

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2019, 17:08   #1
johnsonstephen257

Default Sat Nav / RTTI / Avoid Traffic Events

Hi
I have recently taken ownership of a 2018 XC60 D5. The car is internet enabled (using a separate SIM card), and I know this works because I can stream Spotify through it. I have activated RTTI and I have set up the Sat nav to "Ask" if I want to avoid traffic events. But in the 6 weeks I have owned the car, it has never prompted me to ask if I want to avoid a traffic event. This culminated in my sitting in a 3 mile tail back on the A14 on Sunday (with a nice red line showing on the road on the sat nav screen). Why didn't the system pre-warn me of this traffic event before I encountered it?

(I Previously owned a Jag XF and that was forever asking me if I wanted to change route to avoid traffic)!

I'm sure some of you more experienced Volvo owners will be able to assist!

Thanks

Steve
johnsonstephen257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 18:02   #2
Tresco85

We will have had ours 2 years in November and I think in that time it has only come up and asked us about 4 times if we want to re-route due to traffic, it didn't do it for the 1st year I don't think yet our 2013 XC60 was always asking and that wasn't Internet enabled.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 18:04   #3
tem
Premier Member

Were you using the Sat Nav to take you from A to B at the time?

tem.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 21:14   #4
Grumpybri

Think you have to have route guidance on for it to offer a alternative route.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 21:21   #5
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpybri View Post
That is why I asked the question in #3.
No reply from the OP.

tem.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 21:28   #6
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpybri View Post
Of course, how can it offer you an alternative route if you haven't got a route in the first place.
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 10:44   #7
uro1

The sat navs get an estimated time loss for each traffic jam. It only offers an alternative route if it can calculate one with a time saving. If the alternatives take more time than staying on the current route it will not offer them.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 13:50   #8
mr rusty

You certainly do get re-routes offered. Tramping our nations busiest roads I see them often. However, I prefer to look at the red sections and make my own decisions. FE a slow motorway section at 07:30 rerouting into the suburbs is useless because by the time you get there the school run has started....
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 15:37   #9
johnsonstephen257

Yes - I have a route programmed into the Satnav at the time.
johnsonstephen257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 16:30   #10
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonstephen257 View Post
Hi
I have recently taken ownership of a 2018 XC60 D5. The car is internet enabled (using a separate SIM card), and I know this works because I can stream Spotify through it. I have activated RTTI and I have set up the Sat nav to "Ask" if I want to avoid traffic events. But in the 6 weeks I have owned the car, it has never prompted me to ask if I want to avoid a traffic event. This culminated in my sitting in a 3 mile tail back on the A14 on Sunday (with a nice red line showing on the road on the sat nav screen). Why didn't the system pre-warn me of this traffic event before I encountered it?

(I Previously owned a Jag XF and that was forever asking me if I wanted to change route to avoid traffic)!

I'm sure some of you more experienced Volvo owners will be able to assist!

Thanks

Steve
I can only think that the Sat Nav could not find another faster "route" than the original "route" that you were following.
Only last Friday late afternoon coming up from Eastbourne to Shropshire, I was receiving lots of alternative "route" options as the M25 & surrounding roads became clogged up with normal rush hour/bad weather jams.
Must admit I was quite impressed with the alternative options as I got home almost an hour earlier than a friend using old fashioned maps only....!! (remember those printed books that came out every year....??)