Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel power...the D24TIC 940 rolling restoration project

Views : 5726

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2021, 21:03   #51
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

More work today...I changed the driveshaft centre support bearing and mount (more complicated that I anticipated but got it done, after fabricating a makeshift bearing press from two old Honda GX160 pistons with a hole drilled through the crown of both! Heath Robinson but worked a treat), fitted the driver’s side crossmember bushes for the gearbox mount (not 100% necessary as the old ones were in reasonable shape, but I had the new ones to hand so fitted them anyway. I also adjusted the handbrake which now works perfectly, fitted a new socket for the towing electrics and changed the top hose from the heater matrix to Cold Start Device union, the bottom hose from the union to the stat housing (this disintegrated as soon as I loosened the jubilee clip...dodged a bullet on that one!) and the top hose from the block to the CSD.

I’ve now changed all of the coolant hoses bar the expansion tank to rad, and the bottom heater matrix hose. Most of the original hoses had swollen a little and caused the webbing inside to rot, so were on the verge of early retirement.

I know I’m going to have to bite the bullet and change the hose from the heater matrix to the back of the block but I have no idea where to get one from...I’ve used standard reinforced rubber coolant/fuel hose for the rest (other than the rad hoses from Gates) but the rear hose is a lot more specifically shaped than the others...as far as I can tell, the hoses are NLA anywhere so I will have to think on!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 21:55   #52
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

A very productive day for you Phil!

If you need to make up a specially shaped hose, don't forget that domestic copper water pipe is 15mm diameter and a straight Yorkshire fitting soldered on makes a good set of ridges for the hose to grip onto. With a bending spring the copper pipe can be bent into whatever shape is needed and then a short length of hose to connect to the block or similar and then the other end another short length to link to the heater matrix.

I've used that on my Rover, there's a link pipe from the expansion tank drain on the drivers side to the water pump inlet on the passenger side that was originally steel, like a sort of hockey stick shape. Had two tabs welded on for mounting so the pipe was replicated in copper with a straight Yorkshire fitting each end to provide barbs for the hoses then two rubber lined P clips replaced the two tabs.
Needless to say the original steel pipe is NLA but it's been on there 4-5 years now with no problems at all - food for thoguht perhaps?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 18:47   #53
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A very productive day for you Phil!

If you need to make up a specially shaped hose, don't forget that domestic copper water pipe is 15mm diameter and a straight Yorkshire fitting soldered on makes a good set of ridges for the hose to grip onto. With a bending spring the copper pipe can be bent into whatever shape is needed and then a short length of hose to connect to the block or similar and then the other end another short length to link to the heater matrix.

I've used that on my Rover, there's a link pipe from the expansion tank drain on the drivers side to the water pump inlet on the passenger side that was originally steel, like a sort of hockey stick shape. Had two tabs welded on for mounting so the pipe was replicated in copper with a straight Yorkshire fitting each end to provide barbs for the hoses then two rubber lined P clips replaced the two tabs.
Needless to say the original steel pipe is NLA but it's been on there 4-5 years now with no problems at all - food for thoguht perhaps?
Thanks Dave!

I ended up with a similar solution-the hose from the rear of the block to the heater matrix (via the in-line vac operated heater valve) was a tortuously shaped thing which took some replicating-I bought four 90deg 16mm brass elbows (from Amazon of all places!) and some good quality jubilee clips and set about making up a replacement. To my delight it fitted perfectly and I can now drive the car safe in the knowledge that all the hoses have been renewed.

Other work today included refitting the carpet door card inserts with walnut effect tops on the driver’s and OS passenger doors, a thorough valet inside and a good going over with leather nourishing cream. Looks a great deal better!

Next up I need to fix the wrinkled door card tops...I have no idea how to go about that but will do some sleuthing accordingly!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 20:34   #54
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Thanks Dave!

I ended up with a similar solution-the hose from the rear of the block to the heater matrix (via the in-line vac operated heater valve) was a tortuously shaped thing which took some replicating-I bought four 90deg 16mm brass elbows (from Amazon of all places!) and some good quality jubilee clips and set about making up a replacement. To my delight it fitted perfectly and I can now drive the car safe in the knowledge that all the hoses have been renewed.

Other work today included refitting the carpet door card inserts with walnut effect tops on the driver’s and OS passenger doors, a thorough valet inside and a good going over with leather nourishing cream. Looks a great deal better!

Next up I need to fix the wrinkled door card tops...I have no idea how to go about that but will do some sleuthing accordingly!
Those brass elbows are useful aren't they?

Good work on the door cards and leather balm, with the wrinkling, if you rub some leather balm into them and then use a hairdryer to restretch the leather and revive the glue underneath, that might work. I read that somewhere so not 100% sure of the results but could be worth a try.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 22:12   #55
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Those brass elbows are useful aren't they?

Good work on the door cards and leather balm, with the wrinkling, if you rub some leather balm into them and then use a hairdryer to restretch the leather and revive the glue underneath, that might work. I read that somewhere so not 100% sure of the results but could be worth a try.
I’ll give it a try, I did think a hairdryer or heat gun could be a good way to pull them back into shape...I’ll report back!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 22:18   #56
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
I’ll give it a try, I did think a hairdryer or heat gun could be a good way to pull them back into shape...I’ll report back!
Good luck Phil - will be interested to see how it comes out! At the moment you have wrinkled door cards, i doubt the heat would wrinkle them more, especially if they had some leather balm in them to help with flexibility and it might just work! :thumbs-up:

Old Apr 27th, 2021, 14:18   #57
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Good luck Phil - will be interested to see how it comes out! At the moment you have wrinkled door cards, i doubt the heat would wrinkle them more, especially if they had some leather balm in them to help with flexibility and it might just work! :thumbs-up:
Absolutely my thoughts too-they can’t really look any worse, so definitely worth a try! I’ve got a heat gun on the way as my last one packed up a year or two ago. Will be useful for doing the door cards and also for breathing some new life into the very faded bumpers on my petrol car,

I’ve tried so many products, but they seem to have been left untreated for most of the life of the car prior to my ownership, so a lot of stuff such as Gtechniq C4 (which worked wonders on my old 740’s dry bumpers) hasn’t been able to rescue this one. I’ll try the heat gun trick and see if that works, if not I’ll have to think on!

Thankfully the bumpers on the diesel car are in excellent shape bar a couple of minor bumps...the rest of the exterior needs a lot of love, but the bumpers don’t!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 20:15   #58
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Good luck with the heat gun Phil, looking forward to the results of both jobs you plan to christen it with!

Old May 4th, 2021, 13:46   #59
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Good luck with the heat gun Phil, looking forward to the results of both jobs you plan to christen it with!
Well, the heat gun hasn’t come out yet, but will do next week! Got too much on this week, but managed to get cracking today and replace my sunroof switch...the sunroof would previously motor back into the fully open position happily, but wouldn’t close without manually doing it by way of a flathead screwdriver into the motor override shaft.

The switch was a bit floppy, so I elected to replace it...they are NLA now so had to source a used one, which I eventually found on eBay from someone parting out a 740. The switch was identical but the connector was different, which wasn’t a problem as I had plenty of crimp-on bullet connectors in the parts stash, which fit into the individual holes on the 740 connector a treat. A little snipping and stripping later, and the sunroof now works beautifully! Just in time for the weather for which it was intended.

I fitted a new MANN air filter today too...the intake whine was quite pronounced, which I tracked down to a collapsed air filter and a filter box which was missing several clips. A nice new filter and a luggage strap around the air box (my petrol one is the same!) and all is quiet now. Enough suction to let you know the turbo is working, but not so much that you’re constantly on air raid alert!!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2021, 15:13   #60
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Good work on the sunroof switch Phil, i had to do similar to mine but in reverse (it tilted but wouldn't close) and ended up i think with a 940 switch so had some jiggery-pokery to do with the connectors. A squirt in the top of the rocker with contact cleaner from time to time helps keep them working as they should and the spring inside free to move too.

Surprised it was running so well with a choked air filter, sorted now though!