Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front brake caliper "connection adapter". What is it for?

Views : 1092

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2021, 15:31   #11
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

I noticed this on my petrol 940 when I did the front flexis for the MOT last year. The new hoses didn’t come the an adaptor so I fitted them without, as the adaptor was inseparable from the old hose, no matter what heat and brute force I applied! I tested it from lock to lock with the suspension at full extension and there was hose enough for it to not be strained (even though I had to shorten and reflare the brake line before I fitted the hose) and it functions perfectly and passed the MOT, so I’m not too concerned!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2021, 16:58   #12
martin calva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong but don't those adaptors go into the caliper horizontally? If so, the compression of the suspension will be for the most part irrelevant.
(...)

I suspect if you do some digging you'll find the calipers and/or flexis were quite likely also used on previous incarnations including the 240 series - it's an edumacated guess and logic says why didn't they just move the end of the rigid pipes 20mm outboard on a bracket or make a new flexi but as someone said to me in a PM the other day, Volvo and logic are two words that should never be used in the same sentence!
I wrote:

It changes the position of the end of the hose about 2cm in a direction 90° from the main line of the hose - in other words it has no effect on the effective length of the hose. The hose itself is about 35cm long.

It's equivalent to the front of the car being lowered less than one inch due to an extra load on the front suspension.

David,
(1) What I have highlighted in red should be ignored (I can't delete it) as being incorrect. I wrote it from memory but I have now had a look at the car and what I wrote is misleading.

(2) The hose goes into the caliper more or less vertically and it is joined to the rigid tubing on the car more or less vertically. So it makes a parabola shaped arch between the caliper and the rigid pipe. The presence of the adapter is the equivalent of pushing the front of the car down about one inch or a bit less.

(3) I once changed the calipers on a 260 (no ABS) and I remember they had two hoses per caliper, so definitely not the same design as on an ABS 940 which has one hose per caliper. Skandix, in the details for the adapter, mentions 700, 900, S/V90 but no mention of 200.

(4) I just had a look at the calipers on my V90, which are the same as on my 940. No sign of adapters on the V90. I replaced the calipers on the V90 about four years ago. I find it very hard to believe that I would not have noticed and remembered the presence of the adapters had they been there. So I surmise that they may have been removed previously in the life of the 1998 car.

Last edited by martin calva; May 3rd, 2021 at 17:02.
martin calva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to martin calva For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2021, 10:41   #13
Casheye

I thought they were there so you could remove the hose without removing the caliper.

You put a spanner on the hex part of the hose and spanner on the adapter and when you undo the adapter, it will uncrew itself from the caliper and at the same time the hose thread will screw out of the top of the adapter...

Or have I got my (excuse the pun) threads crossed
Casheye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Casheye For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2021, 18:30   #14
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casheye View Post
I thought they were there so you could remove the hose without removing the caliper.

You put a spanner on the hex part of the hose and spanner on the adapter and when you undo the adapter, it will uncrew itself from the caliper and at the same time the hose thread will screw out of the top of the adapter...

That sounds logical, but, if the hose is to be removed it could first be disconnected from the rigid pipe on the inner wing and could then be unscrewed from the caliper. It’s a while ago but IIRC that is how I did mine the last time. Personally, if that adapter is there then I would refit it.
Another thought. I don’t know if they are, but is the hose end a different profile to the caliper tapping? Hose tapered and caliper flat, or vice versa.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; May 4th, 2021 at 21:01. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2021, 19:55   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Another thought. I don’t if they are, but is the hose end a different profile to the caliper tapping? Hose tapered and caliper flat, or vice versa.
That was one of my first thoughts as well Ian, the photos aren't clear enough to see for sure so i'll have a look if mine has those weird extensions (don't think it does, fairly sure i would have noticed by now) when i change the fluid some time in the not too distant future.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2021, 20:48   #16
martin calva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casheye View Post

Yes, I think you may well have your threads crossed. The direction to unscrew the adapter from hose is the direction to screw it further into the caliper.
martin calva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to martin calva For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2021, 21:07   #17
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin calva View Post
Yes, I think you may well have your threads crossed. The direction to unscrew the adapter from hose is the direction to screw it further into the caliper.
Understood. As it was you who removed them you should know about the thread directions and I understand that you screwed the hose directly into the caliper so the hose end must match the caliper tapping. So we still don’t know why that piece is there.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: