Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bringing a 740 back to life

Views : 23178

Replies : 240

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2021, 16:09   #81
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challo View Post
True. She works for BMW so has a new company car every 6months which is handy. To be honest she doesn't like my daily either which is a Mini Cooper S Clubman (09).
Hmmm, she hasn't been totally innocculated with the BMW ethos then!

Interesting BMW buying Rover to eliminate the competition (the 600 was outselling the 3 series by 10:1 in the 90s and the 800 was the best selling executive car of the decade - crippling BMWs sales!) and get their hands on the Mini and also the 4x4 technology to create their own X3/5 etc cars.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2021, 18:47   #82
Challo

As the weather has been dreadful I thought I would fix the bulb issue. One of MOT fails was on the Stop(s) lamp not working offside. I have had a quick look and all the bulbs are fine and not blown. The standard lights come on as normal, and the central brake light works ok.

I had replaced the rear lights with aftermarket ones as the originals are faded, but every thing is connected ok, and even when I plugged the old light back in the stop lamp doesn’t come on.

Anything worth checking?
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2021, 19:05   #83
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Swap the bulb holder to the other side and see if the light stops working on the other side, if it does then you know it is the bulb holder and you can start looking at the contacts in the holder.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2021, 19:14   #84
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Swap the bulb holder to the other side and see if the light stops working on the other side, if it does then you know it is the bulb holder and you can start looking at the contacts in the holder.
Just been doing a little research and found a video from IPD. Apparently it’s due to the connections on the brake light getting covered in plastic and worn as they are higher heat. Easy fix is to change the connections and move the wire from the fog to brake and vice versa. Means I now have brake lights
Old May 16th, 2021, 19:27   #85
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Just been doing a little research and found a video from IPD. Apparently it’s due to the connections on the brake light getting covered in plastic and worn as they are higher heat. Easy fix is to change the connections and move the wire from the fog to brake and vice versa. Means I now have brake lights
You can't do that Chris - you could in the USA where IPD are but not here. Can't remember the exact regulation or how it's worded but the fog lights need to be separate from the tail lights.

Better to clean the excess plastic from the connectors if indeed that is why - more than likely just dirty! Also try swapping the bulbs in the bulbholders sometimes one bulb won't find its proper position in one but will in the other - also check/clean the tracks on the back of the light cluster where the bulbholders connect.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2021, 20:48   #86
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You can't do that Chris - you could in the USA where IPD are but not here. Can't remember the exact regulation or how it's worded but the fog lights need to be separate from the tail lights.

Better to clean the excess plastic from the connectors if indeed that is why - more than likely just dirty! Also try swapping the bulbs in the bulbholders sometimes one bulb won't find its proper position in one but will in the other - also check/clean the tracks on the back of the light cluster where the bulbholders connect.
Yes your correct. Just been spending the evening taking out all the holders and cleaning them up with some contact cleaner. Look a lot better already, will try a test fit tomorrow.

Got some new bulbs as well with the double filament if they need to be replaced.
Old May 16th, 2021, 20:49   #87
Ian21401
Premier Member

Re. brake lights......What Dave said.
I recently had contact problems between the bulb holder and the lamp body in the left side of my estate and now it seems I have similar problems in the right side. The bulb failure warning light comes on very occasionally and when checked the right side brake light is flickering. Then it works fine for a few days then does the same again.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2021, 21:15   #88
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Re. brake lights......What Dave said.
I recently had contact problems between the bulb holder and the lamp body in the left side of my estate and now it seems I have similar problems in the right side. The bulb failure warning light comes on very occasionally and when checked the right side brake light is flickering. Then it works fine for a few days then does the same again.
Yeah I have the bulb warning light come on. I have cleaned all the contacts now, and will see how that goes. Looking at the brake light holders they look pretty grim even after cleaning. Might need a replacement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2021, 11:43   #89
Challo

Managed to fix the brake light issue by simply switching over the bulb holders between the rear lights and now they both work. Had another bulb holder on the shelf, swopped it with the faulty one and hey presto two working brake lights.

Sprayed WD40 on the U joint on the steering column and turned the wheel lock to lock a few times. No issues anti-clockwise but its definatly sticking clockwise. It did start to free up after a while. Will get some thicker grease on it as well over the weekend.

Got the MOT booked again for this weekend so hopefully it passes now. All the other jobs it failed have now been fixed. Only thing left to do is the steering rack boot, and reseal the exhaust but not had the time.

Fingers crossed she will be pressed into daily duties over the bank holiday weekend.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2021, 12:23   #90
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Managed to fix the brake light issue by simply switching over the bulb holders between the rear lights and now they both work. Had another bulb holder on the shelf, swopped it with the faulty one and hey presto two working brake lights.

Sprayed WD40 on the U joint on the steering column and turned the wheel lock to lock a few times. No issues anti-clockwise but its definatly sticking clockwise. It did start to free up after a while. Will get some thicker grease on it as well over the weekend.

Got the MOT booked again for this weekend so hopefully it passes now. All the other jobs it failed have now been fixed. Only thing left to do is the steering rack boot, and reseal the exhaust but not had the time.

Fingers crossed she will be pressed into daily duties over the bank holiday weekend.
Good luck for the retest Chris, let us know how it goes!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: