Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sim Card

Views : 3296

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2021, 09:07   #1
joeldram

Default Sim Card

Hello, new XC40 owner (ex-demo model, 70 plate r-design).

Can, and has anyone added a sim card to their XC40? What advantages does it have (the SatNav on my 6 month old R-design seems to work on a separate gps system as my car is not internet enabled)? I guess the apps such as weather and Spotify would use it.

Alt I guess I could use my phone as a hotspot for the car to connect to, but I’m less keen to chew through my data package.

thanks!
joeldram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2021, 07:47   #2
DanH

I'm sure it's possible however I couldn't find any decent deals on long term data-only packages.

Like you suggest, I just use usb tethered connection with my phone. Spotify isn't particularly data hungry and neither is traffic data - it's only really for Spotify and traffic warnings as far as I can see if you've not got VolvoOnCall. If you're wanting to use it as a hotspot FOR your phone then it really is a zero sum game. Just up your data allowance, will surely be cheaper than a new SIM.

I set my (Android) phone to developer mode and enabled an option for automatic tethering so now I just plug my phone in and the car connects to the internet automatically.
DanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2021, 08:50   #3
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

A lot of Forum members, me included use a Three Data sim - there are 2 variants available, a 12GB/12 month or 24GB/24 months sim.

These are available on Amazon or from MyMemory website www.mymemory.co.ok.

There are often deals on these sims, but generally you pay £32 for the 12GB and £45 for the 24 month one.

Hope that helps.
Old May 15th, 2021, 23:18   #4
DanH

@Joeldram I've actually just bought one of the SIM cards @suffolkboy mentioned on eBay - £33 for 24gb over 2 years is pretty decent! Plan to use phones as WiFi hotspots over long journeys to make sure it lasts but means we won't have to worry about plugging in and getting things working on short trips.

Anyway, hopefully this is useful.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Three-Pay....m46890.l49286
DanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2021, 12:46   #5
Networkguy

All new XC40s come with a Vodafone 100GB, 12 month SIM card installed.

Whilst Volvo On Call uses it's own separate eSIM built into the car, the "personal SIM" as is it called gives you access to some of the apps (like Google Local, Spotify etc) and things like live traffic and over the air map updates.

Of course if you use stuff like CarPlay or even just stream music over Bluetooth from your phone, then of course the data for the phone is used.

If you are a modern parent who has adopted the "parenting by iPad" model then you can use the pSIM to create a wifi hotspot in the car so your little ones can connect their tablets in the car and stream Peppa Pig if that's your thing.

If you don't intend to do streaming but like the idea of the connected services, then as mentioned, both Three and Vodafone do pre loaded, 24 month SIMS with 24GB of data, no contract and they are both just plug in and go. Choosing one over the other is really based on coverage in your area and aren't expensive. If you do manage to use all the data up, throw away and buy another

Links here for reference

Three 24G https://amzn.to/30F4cuT

Vodafone 24G https://amzn.to/2P0i4xJ
Networkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2021, 17:02   #6
JohnDavo

Pretty sure all new volvos come a Vodafone data sim already installed with 12 months free data. My XC40 did. You just need to activate it.

Follow this link for instructions

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/h.../iitc/activate
Old May 22nd, 2021, 21:32   #7
Ilovelifts

When my free 1 year SIM expired, I too went for the ‘internet with legs’ SIM from the 3 network. Popped it in and got the globe straight away. However, the network coverage in my area was very flakey. So I bought the Vodafone equivalent SIM (24GB) that lasts 2 years. That was plug and play too.
During a call to the Internet in the car technical team, i was told that if I’d opted to renew the Vodafone Internet in the car 100GB 1 year SIM, I could claim back any unused data. I was considering that option before I was made aware of the 24GB 2 year deal.
Ilovelifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2023, 15:20   #8
kzu

I just installed Vodafone 100Gb SIM card in my car. It was supplied by the dealer with no instructions.
Steps to take:
Put the SIM card in to the cars modem
Go to Settings/Connecttions/Car modem internet
Tick the box on top to activate the feature.
Go to Network check operator is correct (I left it on auto) and check if data roaming is activated, activate as it will allow to use other networks infrastructure.
Now you need to open a Vodafone account, Google vodafone internet in the car.
Set up an account there. Create user and password, provide personal info, telephone number and email.
Once you set up and logged in you will be able to activate the SIM card.
To do it website tells you to turn on WIFI hotspot in the car and connect to it.
In your car turn on WIFI hotspot: go to:
Settings/Connections/Car WiFi hotspot and tick the box. Use credentials shown to connect your phone (on which you are logged in to Vodafone account) to this hotspot. Refresh website. After few moments you will notice on Vodafone account you are able to activate the SIM card and start a "free trial" this is what you need to do. Free trial is the 100gb for 365 days.
Click on the blue button and wait. Website is quite slow. Takes about 30 sec to respond.
After short time SIM card is activated, now start free trial.
What I had to do for internet to start working is to leave the car and lock the door, so infotainment turns off. then go back so it restarts.
Once it restarted you should see a globe icon it top left corner of the screen. Will take few moments to appear.
You can turn off wifi hotspot now if you don't plan to use it and test the internet connection.
kzu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kzu For This Useful Post: