Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Handbrake Woes!

Views : 261888

Replies : 167

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 22:50   #161
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Could, but shouldnt! (Again, serious corrosion aside.) It isnt commonplace.
I was just posing the question as to if anyone had tried something other and not had the problem, and other things related
As far as I’m concerned “use it or lose it” over-rides brand selection when it comes to this set up. If you don’t put it on regularly it doesn’t matter what brand you’ve gone with, they will degrade pr maturely. Having said all that I did go with ATE when I replaced mine.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 21:35   #162
Jazbee

Default Rear Brakes Overhaul

I finished off doing the rear brakes today on my 2006 XC70..... read a few stories on here about guys doing the whole job in 1 1/2 hours, I would love to have these guys as my mechanic

As a very much amateur mechanic, it took me near 4 hours on one side and 2.5 hours on the other

Anyway, I bought a set of OEM discs and pads from partsforvolvos.com who had the set on a special for £108. I bought a set of Shoes, springs and adjusters on ebay, these are Bremtech and found the link on here for these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HANDBRAKE...72.m2749.l2649

I didn't have a 7mm allen head socket so I cut a piece off an old 7mm caliper key in my tool box which worked a treat on the sliders. Stripping down was relatively easy, getting the disc off the shoes needed some hammer coaxing as a ridge had formed in the bore.

The shoes on the NS had completely gone with only a few delaminated pieces still in the disc bore (drum). The OS had even wear but little left.

Fiddliest jobs for me were removing and fitting the centre springs and refitting the bottom shoe by dragging down on the larger side spring, this needs to fit on the inside on the cable linkage. I also had an issue re fitting the new discs over the new shoes. I loosened the handbrake cable off fully before starting of course but still very tight on the NS and impossible on the OS.

Because I was replacing the H Plate Spacers with adjusters, I measured the slot gap between to 2 slots on both the plate and the adjuster, exactly the same when fully closed (adjuster). I filed a nice chamfer over the leading edge of the new shoes, still no go..... I checked that the shoes were as fully closed at they can be at both ends.... they were indeed. Hit on an idea to remove the adjuster and grind material from both faces (screw slot and pin slot ends of the main body), trial and error got me to a reduction of 4mm between the slot faces was just enough to allow the shoes to close just a little more allowing the disc to tightly slide over.... result!!

I will let these new shoes bed in for a few weeks then I can adjust to take up any slack. You could do this mod with the H spacer plate as well by filing down the faces of the slots to reduce each side, but with the adjusters its obviously got the ability to take up future slack

I found the OS more difficult that the NS, put that down to being right handed to getting at things maybe a bit trickier.
XC70 D5 SE Lux 2007
V70 D5 SE 2008
Jazbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 08:08   #163
davebb
Premier Member

The spring tool has gone up to £8
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2021, 10:33   #164
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Just a quick add-on note if it helps anyone.. re fitting the most difficult spring..

What I found easiest was using a very long thin screwdriver, i had a set anyway, the shaft is like 3 or 4mm by about a foot and a half long. Any thin steel rod would do I guess.

Hook the spring on to the bottom shoe first, then use the screwdriver / rod across the hub for leverage to stretch the top hook into place. It'll sit about half in when you first get it there, then you just hold it steady with needle nose pliers and tap it with a little hammer and it jumps in the rest of the way

Fiddly first couple of times but after that got it in first time every time literally minimum effort.

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 23:09   #165
hoj

Just done mine got new backplates and springs new shoes and new hubs all for less that £200 fitted
hoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 00:31   #166
Balistaff

Default Use Genuine Volvo Shoes and Prob Pads too.

I just wanted to echo what others have said and advise using genuine Volvo Shoes for the handbrake/e-brake.

A couple of years ago I replaced the shoes on my v70 2003 SE, using after-market shoes and then it failed the MOT. I thought it was due to the age of the car and perhaps the handbrake cable, so I had fun & games replacing the handbrake cable, again no dice. So I replaced the shoes with Volvo shoes and hey presto, sailed through the MOTs since.

Previously - V70 2003 SE 2.4L 170BHP Petrol/Auto
Balistaff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Balistaff For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 14:48   #167
olliecampbell

I heeded the forums advice and I was lucky.....thought I would document it here further...

I also had a real fight fitting the new pads and ended up taking a file to the recesses on the back of the pads where the handbrake expander and H-spacer slot into. Without grinding these sections back the discs wouldn't go over the new pads.....and yes, they were genuine Volvo parts!

This is what happened as I was removing my old pads:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...3&d=1704581252
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 21:13   #168
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunty View Post
Afternoon all,

When driving back from a shopping trip today there was a sudden clunk from the rear of the car, i knew it was something to do with the rear brakes straight away. Got home and took the rear wheel off and there were bits of metal at the bottom of the disc guard. Started to lose light at that point, so though I'd go and re-attach the top of my Knuckle!!! Anyway, are the '05 plate V70's on shoes or could this be a pad that has decided to disintergrate?

Help would be much appreciated

Neil
Yes happened to me, the handbrake shoes delaminated. I got a new hub assembly from a scrap yard. At the time they were hard to get as it was a common fault. The handbrake shoes didnt appear to be a service item so stayed in place until this happened. If I remember a new hub could be £1000 and that was ten years ago. Use Volvo shoes as they fit. The cable is another failure point and cause the shoes to bind.
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote