Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF Regen-What does it feel like?

Views : 4984

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2013, 20:58   #21
clivea
clivea

For interest what is the cost of a D5 205ps DPF and how long would it take a Volvo garage to replace it?

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 21:13   #22
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivea View Post
For interest what is the cost of a D5 205ps DPF and how long would it take a Volvo garage to replace it?
A lot I would imagine!! For an XC90 for example it is around £300

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 22:32   #23
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I notice mine regen-ing now and again. Normally when stopping on the drive, engine fan running exhaust pinging and heat just seems to be oozing out of the car. In the summer you can really feel it on the back of your bare lower legs when getting out of the door. This is after my regular 45 mile cruise home which usually results in nothing out of the ordinary when stopping on the drive so i can tell something has been going on on these occasions.....

Just re read this and it is poorly written but i am writing it on my phone and hopefully you understand!
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 22:56   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
So are you saying the D2 does not have eolys as per the older 1.6d's?..????

As far as I am aware and as far as I have been informed Volvo changed the type of DPF from around 2011 onwards - so in essence the new D2 1.6D has the same type of DPF as say an XC60 D5 ie no eolys additive, so no need to replace at 75k miles if working ok.

Regards
The D2 and 1.6 D define the current 2 valve and the earlier 4 valve versions of the 1600 diesel engine , so there is no D2 1.6d if you see what i mean .

I dont quite understand what you are asking as your second paragraph answers the question you ask in your first ??? The D2 does indeed have the same type of DPF as the xc60 D5 , EOLYS additive always goes with the DPF which you have to change at 75000 miles ....i hope that helps :-)
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 23:28   #25
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The D2 and 1.6 D define the current 2 valve and the earlier 4 valve versions of the 1600 diesel engine , so there is no D2 1.6d if you see what i mean .

I dont quite understand what you are asking as your second paragraph answers the question you ask in your first ??? The D2 does indeed have the same type of DPF as the xc60 D5 , EOLYS additive always goes with the DPF which you have to change at 75000 miles ....i hope that helps :-)
I mean that the DPF on XC60 'runs on diesel' (no Eolys - no replacement at 75k if maintained) whereas the 'old' DPF on say older S40 was an Eolys - (needs replacing come what may). I understand the newer D2 1.6D is the same DPF as per XC60 ie 'runs on diesel' as oppose to using an additive such as Eolys.

Regards
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 23:39   #26
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I mean that the DPF on XC60 'runs on diesel' (no Eolys - no replacement at 75k if maintained) whereas the 'old' DPF on say older S40 was an Eolys - (needs replacing come what may). I understand the newer D2 1.6D is the same DPF as per XC60 ie 'runs on diesel' as oppose to using an additive such as Eolys.

Regards
yes all correct what you say , except the older 1600 diesels do not all have the EOLYS and DPF , it was optional .
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 23:54   #27
volvorocks
Rodney

Hi Clan

Just that on our 62 S60 1.6 D the dealer said it was NOT an Eolys. It was a SPECIFIC question asked by me, and they said ''yeah its the same DPF as your XC'

I wasn't actually sure as to whether this was good as on the first XC the oil rose so much the engine nearly blew up! Good job I was driving and not the wife as it would have..!!

Not sure whether it is better to have an Eolys DPF that needs changing at 75k at high cost, or a 'diesel run DPF' that does not need changing - although with the risk of wrecking the engine with rising oil issues....!!!!!!!

Cheers
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 10:25   #28
clivea
clivea

Cool

Ive had mine for nearly 4 years and at first I was worried about rising oil levels such that i checked it weekly using the "technicians" mini-dipstick. Then the various recalls were implemented and I still kept checking it, but in nearly 40000 miles I have never had any rise in oil level, nor does it seem to use any either. So I don't check the dipstick so regularly now only about every 1000 miles. But I do use the electronic more frequently. My wife's little Nissan (07) does an electronic check and read out at every start, without having to do something separate as per the XC70!

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 12:10   #29
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi Clan

Just that on our 62 S60 1.6 D the dealer said it was NOT an Eolys. It was a SPECIFIC question asked by me, and they said ''yeah its the same DPF as your XC'

I wasn't actually sure as to whether this was good as on the first XC the oil rose so much the engine nearly blew up! Good job I was driving and not the wife as it would have..!!

Not sure whether it is better to have an Eolys DPF that needs changing at 75k at high cost, or a 'diesel run DPF' that does not need changing - although with the risk of wrecking the engine with rising oil issues....!!!!!!!

Cheers
The S60 isnt a 1.6D it is a "D2" which is a modified version of the old 1.6D ...
They arent giving any problems yet ..

there has been an oil level monitor on the 5 cylinder diesels since 2006 and this should warn you long before it becomes a problem ..
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 12:17   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivea View Post
Ive had mine for nearly 4 years and at first I was worried about rising oil levels such that i checked it weekly using the "technicians" mini-dipstick. Then the various recalls were implemented and I still kept checking it, but in nearly 40000 miles I have never had any rise in oil level, nor does it seem to use any either. So I don't check the dipstick so regularly now only about every 1000 miles. But I do use the electronic more frequently. My wife's little Nissan (07) does an electronic check and read out at every start, without having to do something separate as per the XC70!
You should trust the electronic dipstick its extremely accurate , you don't have access to the instant readout but adding just a Tea cup of oil and it is detected accurately when running ! although takes 20 miles to adapt to any major level change ... it hides in the background and you will soon know about it if the level is too high or too low with a message in the dash . So if it's hiding away all is well! thats how volvos work these days .. for a clutter-free dash display .. You never ever see the temperature do you , that is beacuse like all old volvos the temperature gauge was always dead centre whatever the conditions so never worth looking at ..