Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF Regen-What does it feel like?

Views : 5006

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2013, 11:54   #31
tt82
Forum Support Team

I do miss a tempature guage though. Would be nice if it was an option on the info centre.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 12:11   #32
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
I do miss a tempature guage though. Would be nice if it was an option on the info centre.
It has come back now on the new digital instrument panel .
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 13:13   #33
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The S60 isnt a 1.6D it is a "D2" which is a modified version of the old 1.6D ...
Same thing to me...lol.....its a diesel and its a 1.6....!!!

I know what you are saying though.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:28   #34
dodgyblue

Quote:
You should trust the electronic dipstick its extremely accurate , you don't have access to the instant readout but adding just a Tea cup of oil and it is detected accurately when running ! although takes 20 miles to adapt to any major level change ... it
Here's the interesting thing, about 3 weeks ago, I siphoned out about 500 mls of oil via the mini-dipstick port of my 2010 XC60 D5. I have been checking my oil levels with the mini dipstick and it still looks like as if it is rising although very slowly. It's been 7 months since my last service and the oil was once again at the max level indicated by the mini dipstick. The electronic dipstick also shows it at the max level. So I decided to siphon off some oil, until the mini dipstick read about half way.

3 weeks later, the electronic dipstick is still reading max but the mini dipstick is reading half way. Go figure. ..
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:41   #35
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyblue View Post
Here's the interesting thing, about 3 weeks ago, I siphoned out about 500 mls of oil via the mini-dipstick port of my 2010 XC60 D5. I have been checking my oil levels with the mini dipstick and it still looks like as if it is rising although very slowly. It's been 7 months since my last service and the oil was once again at the max level indicated by the mini dipstick. The electronic dipstick also shows it at the max level. So I decided to siphon off some oil, until the mini dipstick read about half way.

3 weeks later, the electronic dipstick is still reading max but the mini dipstick is reading half way. Go figure. ..
Oil temperature is crucial here , It has to be 60 C when checking . there will be a difference when cold to hot .
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:57   #36
clivea
clivea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyblue View Post

I too used to check using the mini dipstick for about 12 months after I bought my 2010 XC70 D5 205ps. But the electronic one always backed up the findings. However the recall to address possible rising sump levels due to failed DPF regenerations made things slightly different. The recommended oil fill level was about 2/3rds of the max sump level and a plastic sticker was positioned on the LHS of the front member as you look into the bonnet. It was up close to the sticker that informs on oil type/make i.e. Castrol .... I was told by the service technician that the software had been reprogrammed so that the dashboard oil level readout would show maximum when the oil was filled to this slightly lower level. But that in the event of a rise in sump level it would not show a dash warning until the electronic oil level system had measured oil level which was at the maximum mark as would be shown on the mini dipstick. So fro memory I think the car had about 0.5 litre of tolerance to a rising sump level before a dash warning was shown I wasn't able to check this out as the when I periodically carried out a mini dipstick check the sump oil level had never moved from its service fill level, neither up or down.

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2021, 16:21   #37
dufeua

Quote:
The D2 and 1.6 D define the current 2 valve and the earlier 4 valve versions of the 1600 diesel engine , so there is no D2 1.6d if you see what i mean .

I dont quite understand what you are asking as your second paragraph answers the question you ask in your first ??? The D2 does indeed have the same type of DPF as the xc60 D5 , EOLYS additive always goes with the DPF which you have to change at 75000 miles ....i hope that helps :-)
Hi Clan
2 questions I would like to ask ref 77k V70 1600d [dRive] with Eolys

1. Sudden increase in fuel consumption is my problem. I note 75k for the DPF replacement. How accurate is that mileage?

I have watched the pressure values [delta p] and DPF temp on a live drive with Vida and appear ok during/after a regen. Soot values are low according to that parameter . The hoses to the delta p [DPF diif press] are good and not blocked and neither are the 2 orifices at the DPF but during use I can hear/see the rise in instant value fuel consumption. This is now happening frequently indicating either a faulty diff sensor or DPF that is very restricted. My analysis is the DPF but the sensor is the most economic option if its wofty when dynamic but appears to respond normally with appropriate atmos values. There seem to be a lot of these sold at both Volvo and after marlket outlets?

2. Have you ever tried cleaning a DPF

Thank you
dufeua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 10:45   #38
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufeua View Post
Hi Clan
2 questions I would like to ask ref 77k V70 1600d [dRive] with Eolys

1. Sudden increase in fuel consumption is my problem. I note 75k for the DPF replacement. How accurate is that mileage?

I have watched the pressure values [delta p] and DPF temp on a live drive with Vida and appear ok during/after a regen. Soot values are low according to that parameter . The hoses to the delta p [DPF diif press] are good and not blocked and neither are the 2 orifices at the DPF but during use I can hear/see the rise in instant value fuel consumption. This is now happening frequently indicating either a faulty diff sensor or DPF that is very restricted. My analysis is the DPF but the sensor is the most economic option if its wofty when dynamic but appears to respond normally with appropriate atmos values. There seem to be a lot of these sold at both Volvo and after marlket outlets?

2. Have you ever tried cleaning a DPF

Thank you
72000 is the right service to replace the DPF, the active elements will be reduced , although it will be still working it wont be as efficient.. Ive seen so many slowly deteriorating where they have been neglected and around 90000 - 100,000 miles it will be causing other issues which will cost a lot more to sort out as well as costing more and more on fuel as time goes by and regenerations increase in frequency as the filter blocks more and more ..
NO i don't believe in "cleaning" false economy and if you look at the construction of the core with the millions of right angle corners to trap the soot you can see a flow of liquid through the core cant clean it properly...

Important information for maintenance service programme, 4-cyl Diesel engines with ADM and/or DPF fitted
Should a customer refuse refilling of the Additive Dosing Module (ADM) every 60.000 km / 36000 miles and/or the replacement of the Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) every 120.000 km / 72.000 miles (Engine with Emission code 5) then Volvo Car Corporation has issued the following warning:

Negligence to refill the ADM at every 60.000 km / 36000 miles maintenance service interval, and/or replace the DPF at every 120.000 km/72.000 miles maintenance service interval may result in one or more of the following issues:

- Heavy soot loading resulting in high DPF temperature during regeneration.

- High oil dilution (fuel in oil) resulting in engine damage or risk of unwanted increase in engine speed.

- Vehicle fuel consumption may dramatically increase.

If this occurs neither Volvo Car Corporation nor the servicing dealer will be responsible for the cost of any damage.

Note- If the additive level in the ADM is too low or if there is a malfunction of the DPF one or more diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) are set, resulting in a text message and/or the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is lit in the combined instrument. If this occurs between the stated maintenance service intervals it must be viewed upon as serious and the vehicle must be handled in accordance to relevant fault tracing in VIDA.
Old May 12th, 2021, 14:53   #39
dufeua

Thank you. I will replace the DPF.

Two further questions which I cannot resolve. [2 attachements]
vehicle comms.pdf

particle filter counter reset.pdf

1\ Ref Vida/vehicle comms/ ECU - resetting the counter for the particle filter

What counter? I have not seen any ref to DPF counter in any module? Where is that stored please ?

This infers 'regen counts' or km exceeded or km counts i.e mileage [72k miles]?

2\ Reset the counter in the ECU - for adaption of the ECU after replacement.

Appreciate your help.
dufeua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 15:13   #40
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufeua View Post
Thank you. I will replace the DPF.

Two further questions which I cannot resolve. [2 attachements]
Attachment 135359

Attachment 135360

1\ Ref Vida/vehicle comms/ ECU - resetting the counter for the particle filter

What counter? I have not seen any ref to DPF counter in any module? Where is that stored please ?

This infers 'regen counts' or km exceeded or km counts i.e mileage [72k miles]?

2\ Reset the counter in the ECU - for adaption of the ECU after replacement.

Appreciate your help.

That simply resets the Particle filter data to zero or new assuming that it now has a new particle filter to deal with .. otherwise it would apply the old parameters which it has stored to deal with a worn out particle filter which may be at the limits .. and it would treat the new one as old an therefore not work properly for a while until it has adapted and found out by itself where it is .