Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to check for when buying an S60?

Views : 208719

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 17:31   #1
Ravage

Question What to check for when buying an S60?

So it looks as if I should have my S60 in less than a month. I have started to look at a couple with around 60k miles and other than a good clean they appear ok.

So what am I to check for when looking at a 2001/2002 S60?
Ravage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ravage For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 20:10   #2
John_C
Allons-y!

If you do a quick forum search there are quite a few postings about this which should help, don't mean to be unhelpful but it's easier than typing the info in all over again.

e.g. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=16438

Cheers,
J

Last edited by John_C; Aug 3rd, 2006 at 20:15.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John_C For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 20:56   #3
Ravage

Yeah I did a search and most tell you what to look for but not how to look for them.

For example the engine mounts, how can you tell from a 10 minute test drive and a quick look under the bonnet?

Same with the other things?
Ravage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ravage For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 22:10   #4
blues60
My car is blue

The engine mount that goes on the S60 is the one at the top of the engine, it connects to the brace bar that runs across the engine. If you look at the centre of the metal loop of the mount there should be rubber between the pin running through the centre and the metal casting. If the rubber is broken or perished it needs replacing. It's not expensive(OEM part is £40 or thereabouts) so don't let it put you off the car but use it to beat the price down.
The frontal lower wishbone bushes will give a knocking or clunking sound when going over rough surfaces but this means they are really shot. Mine failed the MOT and were only found by turning the steering wheel with the car on the ground and watching the bushes. You need to be under the car to see if the bushes allow the wishbone to flex in the mountings.
The door lock problem is pretty easy to diagnose. If any of the locks unlock themselves straight after you lock them then it needs replacing. I would lock and unlock any car you look at a few times to see if any are playing up. They are about £160 for the parts plus labour.
Make sure the car engine doesn't "hunt" when idling with the climate on or off. The car should have a dead level idle which will fluctuate a little when the aircon pump kicks in. If the car revs rise and fall erratically then this is an indication of the electronic throttle module at early stages of failure. They can be cleaned out which can sort the problem but bear in mind if it's at a more advanced stage it going to be a £700 part from Volvo plus labour. Again, if the car is a real peach then use it as a bargaining tool rather than walking away from the car.
If I were looking at buying another S60 I would look at plenty and try to get a fully loaded SE spec car as there are plenty out there and DEFINATELY get one with the Pro-Logic hifi, it's the best OEM audio system I've heard. There are loads of S spec cars and I'm glad I held out for a nice SE example.
That's a few things to look for but remember the basic things about when looking at cars which are well documented. Happy hunting!

Last edited by blues60; Aug 3rd, 2006 at 22:13.
blues60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blues60 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:07   #5
akash

My terminology is totally incorrect but i think you can check under near to where the wheel attaches for any brakes
the reason I mention this is that because the turning circle is so bad, a lot of people "bang" it when turning
after a while, it can break from what I've been told

Otherwise its just the usual, breaks, tears, rust etc
akash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to akash For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 23:38   #6
DaveMitch

Thanks for the feedback all,

Feel more confident about getting an S60 now; after your responses & looking thru forums, doesnt look like to many issues ( none major) to worry about.

Blues S60; is the pro logic audio the standard kit in the SE? I,m sure it had that logo on the car I,m considering- must agree , it did sound much better than my VW passat.

Does any one know if the volvo integrated telephone can be retrofitted in to the car? ( spend hours driving & on the telephone & am fed up with blue tooth thingy in ear'ole!) .

Thanks
Dave
DaveMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMitch For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 21:34   #7
MartyS60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMitch View Post
Does any one know if the volvo integrated telephone can be retrofitted in to the car? ( spend hours driving & on the telephone & am fed up with blue tooth thingy in ear'ole!) .

Thanks
Dave
I got fed up of that too but a better option IMO is a bluetooth car kit which runs through your stereo. Brilliant - mines a Sony Ericsson, £30 off ebay. As soon as I turn on the ignition, the car connects to the phone, even if it's in my pocket.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 22:22   #8
DaveMitch

Marty ,
Was the bluetooth 'thingy' easy to fit?
DaveMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMitch For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 13:00   #9
mjm295

I had a nokia blue tooth kit fitted by a friend, it took just over an hour, it was a case of removing the trim/radio etc and finding a space for it.

I did have to buy an extra lead to make it compatable with the volvo stereo.

and

Robin Hood Sub K - 1.8 OHC
www.coventrykitcar.co.uk
mjm295 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjm295 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 15:37   #10
blues60
My car is blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMitch View Post
Blues S60; is the pro logic audio the standard kit in the SE? I,m sure it had that logo on the car I,m considering- must agree , it did sound much better than my VW passat.

Thanks
Dave
Sorry, never saw your query. I'm not sure they are standard but EVERY SE model I have seen in the flesh or in adverts (Ebay, Autotrader, Ex & M) have had the Prologic system so I guess they do???
There is apparently a "Premium" system that has more powerful amps and a couple of extra speakers but I don't know how to check for this. Anyone?