Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car Wash Gave Away Wife's Key: Do You Have It? (Ipswich)

Views : 2532

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2021, 12:00   #1
sebringmx

Unhappy Car Wash Gave Away Wife's Key: Do You Have It? (Ipswich)

My wife had her V40 washed by some outfit in Morrison's, Sproughton Road, Ipswich on 18th April, 2021 (around 11:00 AM).
They gave her key to someone else who happened to be driving "the same car", so I guess that means any Volvo around the same size. They say it was a silver metallic. Her's is blue...
Maybe you have the keys by mistake, or know someone who may have them? It is a long shot I know.
We have posted on Facebook and Twitter with nothing so far. She has asked Morrison security to look on the CCTV for the reg. but it looks like that isn't showing anything.
Any help most welcome! Thanks
sebringmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 12:17   #2
Polestar Pete
Polestar

It always worries me that things like this are based entirely on trust. I've used supermarket car washers myself many years ago, but I really wonder what would happen with the insurance claim when things like this happen, or your car getting scratched up by a grit-filled cloth, or if the car cleaner has a bump while moving it, or when a complete stranger comes up and says "That's my car, thanks very much" and then goes a drives away in your car.

Hope you get yours sorted out.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Polestar Pete For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 12:38   #3
sebringmx

Thanks
I expect if you give them the keys that become "lost", and your car is subsequently stolen using those keys (or a cloned copy), you will be uninsured under your car insurance.
The car wash company will be responsible. Worryingly the workers at this car wash seemed to think they work for Morrison's. It seems impossible to find who is in charge as they point to each other like a Mexican stand-off, and there is no company info ether.
I can see us having to for out for key reprogramming and a new key from our own pocket.
God knows what possessed her to want a car wash in the first place, and then to leave her keys with them as well...
sebringmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 13:28   #4
DSK
C70 T5

Sorry I can't help but I'd consider using a steering wheel disclock just incase its some organised crime operating as this would be a great way to obtain a set of keys, then easily track the vehicle and steal it.

I don't know much about recoding the security at the dealer but, these two would be my first priority and then forget about the key that's been wrongly given away.

I believe the car washes should, have their own trade insurance to cover them when left with other peoples cars.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 13:58   #5
S60RDesign

These places are often awful to deal with, they have no expertise or pride in what they do but I hope you at least get them to pay for a new key but as one poster said there is the possibility of crime (although must be slim, but does seem off someone would take the wrong key and not give it back), lots of car washes are operated by shady types who hide behind their lack of English. I guess Morrison’s won’t be interested but if the car wash is operating on their premises it’s worth involving them, I guess they could put pressure on them to pay up.
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 14:05   #6
rxtian

Maybe I'm missing something, but how did someone drive off the wrong car with your keys...? How could this be an honest mistake? Even if I had the spare key with me for some reason, I'd be back there complaining they broke my key.

I'd get the car to Volvo ASAP to at least get the missing key erased, also make a police report for the theft of the key.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rxtian For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 14:22   #7
js90
VOC Member

Agree with comments above. I would be doing the following in this order:

Report to police and get a reference number.

Inform insurance that the key is missing, and provide the police reference.

Get the key removed by Volvo. Also get a quote for a new key.

Find whoever runs the car wash and write to them with a bill for the removal of the key, and a quote for a new key and programming.

Pursue in small claims if necessary.
js90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to js90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 15:06   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by js90 View Post

Find whoever runs the car wash and write to them with a bill for the removal of the key, and a quote for a new key and programming.

This is the best answer IMHO out of all the advice you've been offered. I don't hold out much hope for getting your key back from the carwash people, if challeneged they will miraculously disappear or "No spick Ingleesy" or if an individual is challenged directly - "That's him!" - "No no no, it was my brother, he's gone back to Pooland (or wherever they're from)".

If Morrisons pressurise the carwash people to reimburse you and/or find the key, it's also likely to cause a disappearance or new staff to appear.

Hope you get it resolved and that your wife has learned not to use dodgy carwash people and above all, not to volunteer her keys to them!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 16:23   #9
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by js90 View Post

Agree totally with Laird Scooby, I'd get steps 1,2 & 3 in place ASAP. At least the missing key can't be used to take the car, although I guess it could still be used to unlock it manually.

Worse Case

if an individual is challenged directly - "That's him!" - "No no no, it was my brother, he's gone back to Poland (or wherever they're from)" along with the V40.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver

Last edited by AndyJudge; Apr 19th, 2021 at 16:26.
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 20:07   #10
XCR
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebringmx View Post
Thanks
I expect if you give them the keys that become "lost", and your car is subsequently stolen using those keys (or a cloned copy), you will be uninsured under your car insurance.
The car wash company will be responsible. Worryingly the workers at this car wash seemed to think they work for Morrison's. It seems impossible to find who is in charge as they point to each other like a Mexican stand-off, and there is no company info ether.
I can see us having to for out for key reprogramming and a new key from our own pocket.
God knows what possessed her to want a car wash in the first place, and then to leave her keys with them as well...
Like Lt. Columbo 'Theres something that bothers me....'
Having handed over her keys, which then got 'lost', how did your wife manage to drive home ? Presumably with a ton of shopping...
I assume she rang you to bring the spare ?
When you arrived why did you not ring the police and ask them to attend a theft ?
Was there anything in the car that showed your address at all ?
I'd be emailing Morrisons CEO - david.potts-ceo@morrisonsplc.co.uk and contacting the UK Border Agency/Immigration Control to rattle a cage or two....
And why not contact The Sun - exclusive@the-sun.co.uk if you feel like recouping your losses and get paid for your story.
Newsdesk should give around £2k.....
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post:

Tags
car wash, lost key