Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car Wash Gave Away Wife's Key: Do You Have It? (Ipswich)

Views : 2481

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2021, 08:27   #31
Polestar Pete
Polestar

This is assuming that the car wash has liability insurance and you're able to speak with someone with some level of authority.

The likelihood is that no one will take responsibility and when pressed will blame someone who has moved on or returned to their homeland to look after their mother or somesuch (assuming you can pin someone down to talk to, of course).

You could also aim your liability claim at Morrisons, but as is probably stated in the car park signage, vehicles are left at the owners risk.

I think the only course of action is to report this to the police, get the reference number and get compensated through your own insurance (assuming that giving your key to a stranger in a car park is covered).

Thankfully, this doesn't happen very often, but it's still a big risk and I have to admit that I worry more about the car's paintwork than having car keys stolen in the days when I occasionally used these car washes.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Polestar Pete For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 08:56   #32
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polestar Pete View Post
This is assuming that the car wash has liability insurance and you're able to speak with someone with some level of authority.

The likelihood is that no one will take responsibility and when pressed will blame someone who has moved on or returned to their homeland to look after their mother or somesuch (assuming you can pin someone down to talk to, of course).

You could also aim your liability claim at Morrisons, but as is probably stated in the car park signage, vehicles are left at the owners risk.

I think the only course of action is to report this to the police, get the reference number and get compensated through your own insurance (assuming that giving your key to a stranger in a car park is covered).

Thankfully, this doesn't happen very often, but it's still a big risk and I have to admit that I worry more about the car's paintwork than having car keys stolen in the days when I occasionally used these car washes.
As already stated, Morrisons sanction this business. They take either rent or percentage so there IS a business behind it - unless the local Morris ons manager is moonlighting!

Morris ons will not want any claims coming their way so will have insisted on insurance etc as they won't want reputational damage either.

As already suggested, escalate this directly to the store manager. If not then go directly to head office & DO NOT STOP. Being a royal pain in the bum and talking about your poor experience with Morris ons (note) will get you resolution - 100%.

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YorkshireDave For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 22:45   #33
js90
VOC Member

OP, don't suppose there's any update to this yet? Interested to see how this unfolds.
js90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2021, 14:33   #34
sebringmx

Update:
Key cost £289:90 including programming
Car wash co has agreed to pay for the key and 2 x mileage to visit the dealer: one journey for the required security check and another to do the fix. They won't pay for time or distress (which we could get but would mean going to court).
The company is:
https://www.carparkvaleting.com/
That is a franchise operation. They have no standard procedure for dealing with keys.

Despite what is posted:
The Police are not interested in the slightest as this is a civil issue - source Suffolk Police
You do not need to inform your insurance unless the insurance T&C say so - source Legal helpline
Without going to court the most you can expect to receive is the key replacement cost and not compensation - source CAB
The workers do not come from Pooland. My wife came from Poland however and I don't appreciate that comment. Where the operators come from is nothing to do with it.
sebringmx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sebringmx For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2021, 15:18   #35
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebringmx View Post
The workers do not come from Pooland. My wife came from Poland however and I don't appreciate that comment. Where the operators come from is nothing to do with it.
That was a genuine typo and my apologies. I have problems with my hands that often cause a twitch/shake (although the root cause of my problem is a whiplash injury to my neck causing nerve problems) that often results in double or even triple characters being typed. Usually i mpick up on it but sometimes miss the odd onee.

As for where the operators come from, i have been ripped off several times in the passt by workers in an establishment that are from a foreign country. THere are good and bad individuals in all countries, however i've found when a few bad ones from another country are here, they tend to form clusters of one big bad group. They all back each other up when one has done a misdeed. Given the amount of Eastern Europeans in the area with a large proprtion of those being Polish, i believe the comment (how it was intended, purely as an example as i stipulated "wherever they came from") stands in the idea of how it was intended - non-native operators covering each others backs for any misdemeanours and blaming it on a relative/similar looking person who has now returned (somewhat conveniently) to the home country.

Either way, it's cost you an enormous amount of inconvenience plus initially about £300 (which you'll hopefully get back) for a replacement key. On the grounds that prevention is better than cure, can i suggest you impress upon your wife to not part with the key to anyone she has not previously met, any reason to trust (a garage for example doing repairs) or any other individual that happens to ask her for it in a public place?

If someone found that key and (asuming it has the alarm buttons on like many do) pressed the buttons, they could easily have driven off in the car and you wouldn't have had a leg to stand on - you might have got £300 back from the car wash people for losing the key but faced a huge bill to replace the car!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
car wash, lost key