Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940s 2.0 compression values.

Views : 1245

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2021, 13:02   #1
Vanadeo

Default 940s 2.0 compression values.

Hello..

New 940s owner 1992 2.0l b200f. It has piston slap, used a long screw driver to isolate the noise, it's at the bottom/middle of the red block where the circle things are xD between cylinder 3 and 4. Quietens when up to operating temp.

I want to check compression on the engine was wondering what good values are.. no blue smoke or oil loss appears to be running okay.. hope she doesn't blow up anytime soon..

Cheers for any pointers or info
Vanadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanadeo For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2021, 13:28   #2
Ian21401
Premier Member

Hello Vanadeo and welcome. I have the same year engine.
Haynes advises compression ratio is 10:1
Comp. pressures 9 to 11 bar, which by my calculations at 1 bar = 14.5 psi is
130.5 psi to 159.5 psi. Max. variation between cylinders = 2 bar = 29 psi.
My engine has done 224,000 miles. The only time the CH has been off was shortly after I acquired the car in 2005 when I found that no.4 plug threads needed a helicoil fitted. Nothing else was attended to as I needed the car back on the road ASAP. I check the compressions when I change the plugs. Last time (210819) they were 195, 190, 190, 195. psi, 1 - 4. That appears rather high but is probably due to the engine never having had a decoke or valves or tappets attended to. But as it is behaving itself at present I will leave it until something needs attention. It does sound rather “rattly” but it has been doing that for some considerable time.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2021, 21:05   #3
Jebus
VOC Member

I wouldn't worry older pre oil squirter Redblocks do end up suffering from piston slap but with go 100k with it no problem, I swapped my engine it had a lot of piston to the point it sounded like an old knackered lorry, but it still drove well, burned a little oil and only started a fair but more after I decided and engine flush was a good idea

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 08:13   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanadeo View Post
Hello..

New 940s owner 1992 2.0l b200f. It has piston slap, used a long screw driver to isolate the noise, it's at the bottom/middle of the red block where the circle things are xD between cylinder 3 and 4. Quietens when up to operating temp.

I want to check compression on the engine was wondering what good values are.. no blue smoke or oil loss appears to be running okay.. hope she doesn't blow up anytime soon..

Cheers for any pointers or info
Welcome aboard!

Those "circle things" are core plugs.

Probably you won't ever need to know more about them than that though.

The B200 is known for developing a bit of piston slap, usually on #4 but occasionally #3 as well. Unless it's severe enough to effect performance (including economy) or to make people running pile-drivers look round, i wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you do decide to change the engine, have a word with Luke aka 360beast, he often has a breaker or two in. A B230 would be good change for two reasons, first it gets rid of the known B200 piston slap scenario and second, will give you a nice improvement in power without going silly.

Ian - if your compression tester is accurate i'd suggest firstly running on 98 octane petrol (to help prevent detonation aka pinking - you won't hear it as the knock sensor will pick it up and retard the timing making it less efficient) and second that there's a fair chance the head has been skimmed at some point, perhaps as a result of a previous HGF before your ownership.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 20:35   #5
Vanadeo

Thank you for all the replies .. That's great info, thank you. I will take all this into consideration. tbh the clacking I have gotten used to for now, It's the brakes that are causing me problems.

The drivers side front wheel was sticking and heating up, so I have cleaned everything, and I am going to change the disks and pads this weekend. The problem is when i re-assembled it all and bolted the caliper into the carrier the top bolt is pulling the caliper towards the disk. If I tighten it up its like the brake is on. I can see the slide pin moving to the right when I tighten the bolt. So is the slide pin worn or has the hole in which the slide pin fits in got bigger?.. Or have I done something wrong.

I have had to loosen the top bolt so the wheel spins free. caliper is fine and not siezed.

Near side wheel is getting hot as well compared to the offside one so I am assuming that is the same.

Cheers for any help guys .
Old May 10th, 2021, 20:53   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanadeo View Post
Thank you for all the replies .. That's great info, thank you. I will take all this into consideration. tbh the clacking I have gotten used to for now, It's the brakes that are causing me problems.

The drivers side front wheel was sticking and heating up, so I have cleaned everything, and I am going to change the disks and pads this weekend. The problem is when i re-assembled it all and bolted the caliper into the carrier the top bolt is pulling the caliper towards the disk. If I tighten it up its like the brake is on. I can see the slide pin moving to the right when I tighten the bolt. So is the slide pin worn or has the hole in which the slide pin fits in got bigger?.. Or have I done something wrong.

I have had to loosen the top bolt so the wheel spins free. caliper is fine and not siezed.

Near side wheel is getting hot as well compared to the offside one so I am assuming that is the same.

Cheers for any help guys .
A few pics would help, it sounds as if you've got something not right somewhere, the sort of thing you won't see for looking but a fresh pair of eyes will spot.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2021, 21:10   #7
griston64
Premier Member

As Dave said we would really need some pictures to see whats going on.A 92 car could be Girling or I think DBA. Non ABS will be double piston rather than single piston. The DBA pins are a different set up to Girling as well ( they go through a sleeve )
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 21:15   #8
griston64
Premier Member

Just had a thought If your brakes are non ABS and someone has replaced one of the slider pins with an ABS one which has a thinner head,it could pull it closer. It's common for one pin to seize so they may have just replaced one rather than both. It would be unusual but you never know
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 21:22   #9
TonyS9
Premier Member

I got 160psi in my 360s B230FT recently after it wasn't running well, but 1 cyl was at 130psi, after taking the head of there was a small dent in the gasket on that cyl. It had always spluttered a bit on starting since the initial basic rebuild and down on power a bit. Hard to tell with the 360 because its so much lighter and faster. I must have dropped the edge of the head on it on assembly, then my old compression tester was rubbish and showed 130psi on all cyls.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2021, 22:02   #10
Vanadeo

I noticed a lip round the inner part of the disk close to the hub.. I wonder if when I cleaned and freed everything the pads or something has shifted and are catching on that lip, one of the pins were seized too.. I'm collecting some fresh pads and disks tomorrow. If I get time I'll do it all tomorrow and report back..

I hope I can do it cos Its not brilliant driving round with a loose carrier bolt .. I keep checking it and it's snug but finger tight.

Tags
940, compression, piston