Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car key battery message

Views : 840

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2021, 07:46   #1
Tonyburt

Default Car key battery message

Hi guys, just brought my 1st xc60, the dash keeps telling me that the batteries in the key fob need replacing I've replaced the batteries in both key fobs but this message keeps coming up, any ideas or solutions please.
Tonyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2021, 13:42   #2
Deck1ng
Master Member

Is it a keyless entry/ start?
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2021, 15:10   #3
Adrian B

My car told me this and I did replace the batteries in both fobs and it continued to repeat the message now and again. When I charged the battery under the bonnet as per Volvo's recommendation every fortnight, it stopped happening up to now. Oh and the screen sensor blocked message which came up from time to time also stopped and the stop start function now works for a few days too! So now when possible I will charge the main battery every couple of weeks.
Regards

Last edited by Adrian B; May 11th, 2021 at 17:03.
Adrian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2021, 16:07   #4
Deck1ng
Master Member

A friend of mine had the same issue. Kept his keys on him at all times. Every time he got within X yds of car it would unlock and then lock again as he moved out of range, this could happen 20 times a day. As the fob and car are always on the lookout for the other. He now puts the fob in one of those fancy covers you can buy to protect your credit cards to block it from being read ( also available to put car fobs in). It does seem to have slowed the fob battery loosing power so quickly.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2021, 15:33   #5
Thorium

Make sure you replace the batteries with a decent brand - Duracell, etc. Some of the other brands I've tried don't work well as the voltage supplied can be lower than you expect for a new battery.

If the battery in the fob does give up and you can't get into the car, use the On Call app to open and start the car. This got me out of trouble a while ago when my fob topped working because I'd ignored the warnings for too long.
Thorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2021, 09:52   #6
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorium View Post
Make sure you replace the batteries with a decent brand - Duracell, etc. Some of the other brands I've tried don't work well as the voltage supplied can be lower than you expect for a new battery.
Hopefully it is this easy to solve, as I've bought some cheap batteries off amazon, and the keys wouldn't even work on my wife's car, purchased some decent ones, and all OK again, certainly worth a shot.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote