Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Common S60 Problems - Solutions Only

Views : 249776

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2011, 20:16   #21
frenchian

Default D5 enters limp-home in freezing weather

You've got water in your fuel filter that's frozen.
Replace it and all will be fine - including the engine management light that comes on with warning messages to get the engine management system serviced!
frenchian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 20:23   #22
frenchian

Default Loose steering wheel

Got a slight looseness/wobble on the steering wheel?
Disconnect the battery (you're going to be playing around with the driver's airbag) and wait 10 minutes. Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees from straight-ahead, insert a smallish screwdriver well into the hole in the rear of the steering wheel & "lift the handle" - this will disengage a clip - you'll see the airbag loosen slightly on that side if you've been successful. Turn the wheel the other way and repeat on the other side. The airbag module will now lift off - no need to disconnect it - simply take an 18mm (yes - 18mm!) socket on an extension & tighten the centre bolt. In theory you're supposed to replace these bolts if you loosen them - up to you. Replace the airbag module, give it a firm push to reclip it, reconnect the battery and you're fixed.

Ian
frenchian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frenchian For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 23:25   #23
Nocomplaints1977
S40R The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
I don't like the 5 min delay on the Fuel filler cap....I have fitted a proper one to mine
Go to dealer and get them to remove the delay. MRG did mine .
It can be set to zero.
Nocomplaints1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nocomplaints1977 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 13:46   #24
jezza5986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscreant View Post
The boot in question is on the floor behind the pedals at the end of the steering column. It is a black rubber boot that covers a bearing. Sometimes this moves down over the bearing and starts to make a groaning, rubbing sound when you are turning the steering wheel.
Just been trying to sort this problem out on my S60. I can only get the rubber boot only halfway over the nylon and rubber bearing that surrounds the steering column. Should it cover it all or will halfway up suffice?
jezza5986 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jezza5986 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 09:47   #25
Miscreant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza5986 View Post
Just been trying to sort this problem out on my S60. I can only get the rubber boot only halfway over the nylon and rubber bearing that surrounds the steering column. Should it cover it all or will halfway up suffice?
Half way up will suffice for a while but it will slip back down again.
A trick I used to get it the whole way over the bearing was to spray a little silicone oil on the tip of my finger and rub it on the inside of the lip on the rubber boot. This will stop the rubber from gripping the bearing as you move it over and you will feel it "pop" into place at the top. Remember too that sometimes the bearing itself will move up and down so this is a 2 handed job.
Mine has not budged since I did this. You should be able to get your hands on some silicone oil in a hobby shop or DIY retailer and it is pretty cheap (especially if it cures this problem for you).
Miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 13:42   #26
jezza5986

Hi, thanks for your reply, I'd done just that and it's been fine for the past month or so now

Amazing how something that seemingly insignificant can make such a difference to how enjoyable the car is to drive!
jezza5986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 15:10   #27
D5driver
No Spam here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocomplaints1977 View Post
Go to dealer and get them to remove the delay. MRG did mine .
It can be set to zero.
Or someone with Vida

One things for sure. No matter how bad something may be, it will have been much much worse and with lots more drama for the spammer
D5driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 15:56   #28
akabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Catnach View Post
Lights not flashing when locking car with remote - check all doors, bonnet & boot are fully shut; often opening boot/bonnet & slamming shut fixes this!
yes i have figured it out.. similar to what you said. i figured it out by accident. Here is how i did it.
1) open all doors, trunk, bonnet (doenst have to be fully/wide open)
2) press the lock button on driver side door (NOT KEY FOB)
3) After pressing the lock button immediately close the drivers door, left rear passenger door, trunk, right rear passenger door, front passenger door and finally the bonnet ( i do in that sequence and do not take long time ( about 6-9seconds)
3) you are done. As soon as you close that last door (bonnet). it will automatically flash.

give it a try. This worked every time for me. i want to see if it works for anyone else as well.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 16:14   #29
RojHud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscreant View Post
Half way up will suffice for a while but it will slip back down again.
A trick I used to get it the whole way over the bearing was to spray a little silicone oil on the tip of my finger and rub it on the inside of the lip on the rubber boot. This will stop the rubber from gripping the bearing as you move it over and you will feel it "pop" into place at the top. Remember too that sometimes the bearing itself will move up and down so this is a 2 handed job.
Mine has not budged since I did this. You should be able to get your hands on some silicone oil in a hobby shop or DIY retailer and it is pretty cheap (especially if it cures this problem for you).
Re Steering boot .....
I had a similar problem after dropping the engine for a clutch and flywheel replacement.
I stupidly put some lube on the rubber to help it slip in .....since then it keeps slipping out and the noise from the turbo is horrid. the solution is a a tie wrap.
First picture is what it should look like, second picture with tie wrap. No noise or problems for 3 months now, just coming up to changing the cam belt at 180K mls on the S60D5.
ps will upload photos when i can find out how to do it.
RojHud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 16:18   #30
RojHud

OK Here are the photos ......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2646.JPG (201.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2647.JPG (224.3 KB, 79 views)
RojHud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RojHud For This Useful Post: