Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 LPG Damage?

Views : 14672

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2009, 20:00   #11
ktrill

Default XC70 and LPG MY2004

I have from 2003 my 2.5T and often considered LPG but each time I have checked I been told by reputable LPG conversions companies that it is not advisable on from 2003 on which fits in with previous replies.

I now have a XC90 V8 4.4 so LPG on this would be nice but I think for same reason it is not a good idea.
ktrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 13:42   #12
shimon340

hi,

I'm trying to clarify this at the moment with Volvo and hope to post an update when I hear something.

S
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 18:08   #13
M D E
Master Member

When I was doing my homework on fitting gas I was told my 2001 C70 T5 has the older T5 engine with harden valve seats and hydraulic lifters... But later 2003 models over a 2 year span have the newer ford based engines without harden valves and seats ... After 2005 harden valves were fitted, unsure if this is the correct story, but my 2001 has been converted with any issues so far.
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
M D E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 14:09   #14
RussH

Smile XC90 2.9 t6 LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutherland View Post
I've posted a thread in the XC90 forum about possible damage to a 2.5T. If anyone here has any knowledge of this I'd be grateful for your responses: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=69406
I had my 2.9 t6 converted by Envirogas in the midlands 12 months ago, 30,000 miles later and all is well ! Costs £25 to fill up, get 200 miles to a tank. My only gripe is I need a bigger tank.
RussH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 12:32   #15
DChaps

Default 2005 XC70 long term LPG use.

My XC70 is a 2005 model year registered November 2004. It's a 2.5T automatic but not sure exact engine type, V5 says 266g/Kg CO2. It had a Romano LPG conversion in early 2006 at 25000 miles. It's now covered 80000 miles, 99% of that has been on LPG.
No problems, no loss of performance or power. It's driven hard.
I have got use to the engine management light being on !...
Really though, not a problem, it's something it's done since conversion and even with some of the best LPG guys in the country looking at it we have never been able to fix. I have my own code reader and reset it or if I run on petrol for a day or so it goes off. The light is caused by the Volvo computer thinking a CO2 sensor is faulty when the system switches from petrol to LPG during warm up. First twice it's ignored, third time it puts on the light. It doesn't go in to limp home or anything like that.
Oil use is negligable. MOT is done on petrol and emmisions are well within spec.
Would certainly have LPG again on this type of car, it's saved me a fortune and been much cheaper than the equiv diesel.
Oh, mileage, around 26mpg on petrol and 25mpg on gas (big heavy auto car remember - when I borrowed the same spec as a diesel I only got 35mpg)
DChaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 10:21   #16
rojertwose

I asked Volvo the same question when I ordered my car in Goteborg. This was the Rep's reply:".........As I have learnt from the factory installing LPG unit afterwards is not possible and Volvo does not produce LPG version for the XC90 due to lack of interest. There isn't enough demand from customers to put the LPG version on the production line........"
thanks..
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 23:55   #17
hancym
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
There can be problems with valves and valve seat wear on the ford/volvo engines but the old volvo engines were all fine. The valve and seat material were changed by ford and it is only since these changes that there have been problems.
As to turbo cars there is no issues converting them to LPG.

An LPG conversion is fine to do on the newer volvo's but you would suggest using flashlube or be prepared to have head work done.

Mine's an 2004 XC90 T6 (engine number 3428427) any idea which engine I have please the older or the newer?
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:21   #18
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

There is a fair chance that engine will have the softer valve seats and therefore need a valve saver system to protect the valves.

There is another possibility that has not been explored as yet with Volvo engines but has been done with Subara.

The Impreza engine has hydraulic lifters as where the forester has solid lifters. The Forester is known to suffer with VSR but some LPG installers are changing them to hydrolic lifters and this so far has been successful in eliminating costly cylinder head repairs without the use of any oiler system. I would be keen to try this with the volvo/ford engine. I'm sure we would be seeing the same results as other dealers have with Subaru.

As to the T6 you have if you are wanting to convert the car I would recommend changing the lifters, but if you do not want to do that get a valve saver system fitted just in case. Either of the above methods should ensure the integrity of the valves and seats.

With the power output of the T6 you will need to make sure that you use a good installer and good quality equipment.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 11:42   #19
hancym
Master Member

Was thinking of using one of the Norfolk based ones recommended on drivelpg.co.uk. They all seem to be recommending the Zavoli system at around £1600 to £1800. What you opinion of this unit? Also having got quotes none of them have recommended a valve saver system which is strange. Any idea what the extra cost is please?
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 16:24   #20
M D E
Master Member

The Money sounds right, I'm going to highly recommend my BRC system with the larger fuel injectors fitted by Greenfuel of Bath, works faultless on my C70 T5.

I had the valve saver system fitted to mine to make sure the valves were kept well lubricated think it was around £65-£80 fitted.

You need to buy the Flashlube oil every 2000 miles ... Thats how long a litre lasts at £18.

Don't go for the electronic version of the valve saver system, very troublesome and no reliable like the manual feed system.
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
M D E is offline   Reply With Quote