Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 147805

Replies : 929

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2019, 22:49   #341
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Fitted new handbrake cables. The discs, pads and shoes were all new about 3000 miles (two and a half years ago) and all genuine Volvo with the exception of the handbrake cables which were from PFS.

It wasn't as bad a job as I thought it was going to be and the weather was kinder than I'd expected too.

It was necessary because the plastic clip that secures the cable to the delta link mounting fractured due to old age and the cable then rubbed up against the tyre which wore through the protective outer plastic down to the metal sheath.

Anyway it's all working properly again.

Unfortunately I was reminded once again of the poor state of the wheels. I think getting them refurbished is something I shouldn't put off for too much longer.

Martin

V70 Tdi SE auto 225,000 miles
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 13:27   #342
t5panda

New radiator and thermostat fitted. not a bad job at all, except for cursing whoever thought round, captive nuts were a good idea, especially when they shear...
t5panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 00:28   #343
isettaman

Default Light bulb and radiator warning lights

Yesterday both the bulb failure and low radiator fluid warning lights came on at almost the same time. Fortunately, the faulty bulb was easy to identify as I could see one of the running headlights was out looking at the rear of the vehicles in front. Quick trip to Halfords for a new bulb which I replaced with a bit of a struggle as it was the nearside where the battery sits. I had topped-up the rad fluid not so long ago after removing the top hose for access to the power steering pump. I looked around and found Volvo top-up fluid for £7 odd a litre plus postage on the internet. On a wild thought, I went to my local dealer who had the fluid for the same price - but no postage, good one. Topped up the tank and then looked around for possible leaks and found some seepage at the radiator end of the top hose, nipped it up but will check in a couple of days for any signs of leakage.
1976 Triumph T140V Bonneville Project
Wurlitzer 2150 Juke Box
isettaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 16:16   #344
PNuT
MaDMaN

Talking

Yesterday steering rack which didn't need done!

Today ultra racing front ARB....

different cars btw
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 10:36   #345
Clogs
Clogs

Default Time to put on winter wheels again

Last week I put on the 4 winter steel wheels with winter tyres (plus a spare wheel on an old aluminium wheel - you have to have a winter wheel spare but so far after owning this car for 7½ years I've never had to put on the spare). These tyres are now on their 4th winter, and have about 3½mm of tread left, so this will be their last winter as once they're down to 3mm they'll not be much use in snow, but still OK in ice.

After a few days, I found that something was rubbing... the handbrake cable on the rear wheels was touching the slightly wider winter tyres, so had to put in a cable tie to keep it away from the tyre.

The back plate of the rear wheel is now corroding and is a bit fragmented. So long as nothing rubs against the disk, I'll leave it.

Last edited by Clogs; Oct 31st, 2019 at 10:40.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 17:09   #346
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Replaced the front nearside ABS sensor connector on the V70 which I managed to pull a wire off when replacing the shock absorbers and springs. I'd bodged it up temporarily at the time but have now replaced the connector and cable with a new one sourced from FRF and done the job properly.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 04:48   #347
Dancake
Premier Member

Replaced the rusty exhaust tip with a new Walker tip.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 15:33   #348
t5panda

After just over a year got round to replacing the power stage/resistor for the ECC and finally have heat/cold air blowing!!!!!

Also new headlight bulbs fitted as one went and this weekend shall see the Scandi-spec aux lamps refitted because.. well because it came with them and i can return the favour to those dazzling foglight ******s...
t5panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to t5panda For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 17:53   #349
Dancake
Premier Member

Failed the MOT last week on front brake hoses. In fairness they were well past their best. Turns out the bleed nipples on the calipers were well and truly seized into the bargain. No amount of heat, penetrating fluid or shock treatment would shift them. Ended up fitting two new front calipers as well as brake hoses. Up for retest tomorrow which should see another years MOT on the 850.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 14:37   #350
turboboy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
Failed the MOT last week on front brake hoses. In fairness they were well past their best. Turns out the bleed nipples on the calipers were well and truly seized into the bargain. No amount of heat, penetrating fluid or shock treatment would shift them. Ended up fitting two new front calipers as well as brake hoses. Up for retest tomorrow which should see another years MOT on the 850.
I was lucky then. Failed MOT on offside front hose but decided to replace both sides while I was at it. Replaced offside hose no problem. Fortunately tried to loosen the bleed nipple on the nearside before I removed the hose but, like yours, was well and truly seized. Managed to move it about one eighth of a turn but no matter what I did it wouldn't undo further. Finished up buying a new caliper but at least it was only one.

Only other item was one of the front drop links needed changing. Again I bought two but only managed to replace the faulty one as the otherside had different size nuts and had previously been replaced and was O.K.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turboboy For This Useful Post: