Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Infotainment dead on my new car, now fixed

Views : 1733

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2011, 21:24   #1
flyingjames

Default Infotainment dead on my new car, now fixed

Hi all

I bought a new XC60 SE Lux Premium Geartronic 2 weeks ago and I must say I absolutely love it.

Had a brief problem today when my wife returned home reporting totally dead Infotainment. Everything was off Sat Nav, Media, Phone, My Car and the screen was dead too. I called Volvo Leeds after failing to coax it back into life and they couldn't see us for a few days so I checked out the manual and found a fuse under the glovebox Bank A No.1 called "primary fuse for audio control module" It was a large 40A fuse. I pulled it, it wasn't blown so I replaced it and, hey presto, everything worked like nothing had happened.

I post this as A) it might help someone else and B) to see if this is a regular fault or if someone might recommend that i don't mess with this fuse for some reason.

Still a fab car though (except the stupid handbrake switch which, to my mind at least, works in the wrong sense!

Cheers.

Last edited by flyingjames; Mar 28th, 2011 at 21:40.
flyingjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingjames For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 21:35   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Good tip, may help someone

Regarding the handbrake being the 'wrong way round', I also thought this when I first got the XC60, but after a couple of weeks stopped noticing.

I have also realised over the 18 months that there is logic in it being this way. If you accidentally knock the switch when moving around in the car you will push it on, thus stopping the car - much better than the other way where if you bump it getting in or out and releasing the handbrake causing the vehicle to move with all the potential for danger.

I found this out myself when I stretched down to open the bonnet with a thick jacket on, the cuff caught the handbrake and flicked it on - I was much happier that it put the brake on that I would have been with the brake coming off and the car rolling down the hill.

At least that is the logic that I see in the illogical switch
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 08:40   #3
SKH
SKH

Does your car have the original dashboard? i.e. with the Pod.

I am interested because mine occassionaly seems to loose power to the sat nav, radio, and the pod screen sometimes for 1-2 seconds and on one occassion for about 15 seconds then all comes back to life again.

It has done this since new but only maybe 3-4 times in a year so the dealer has never been able to replicate it.

I have always suspected it must be some sort of power blip but never looked into it further, your fuse may be the answer. If yours has the same dash as mine, I will have a look at the fuse in the next few days.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 09:13   #4
Celticxc60

I find these comments interesting. I note you have an auto. With the selector in "P" everything is locked and the car will not move. I have to confess I have been driving auto for nearly 30 years and never use the handbrake. Park up select "P" and the car won't move.
Celticxc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 09:46   #5
andyfromembsay

I find the handbrake useful for holding the car in D when queueing - it means I can take my foot off the brake without having to put it into P. I have to confess that I've driven autos for years and still use the handbrake - my jag had an alarming habit of just rocking back or forward a few inches before the engine stopped it moving, so I got in the habit.
andyfromembsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 13:04   #6
flyingjames

Not sure what dashboard it has but it's brand new (11 plate) and it has a colour TV instead of the bump that sticks out of the coaming if that's what you mean.

Volvo called back and seemed to have no knowledge of this problem so I'm hoping it's a one-off.
flyingjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 14:07   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticxc60 View Post
I find these comments interesting. I note you have an auto. With the selector in "P" everything is locked and the car will not move. I have to confess I have been driving auto for nearly 30 years and never use the handbrake. Park up select "P" and the car won't move.
The problem with parking using the P position is that it means the gearbox and transition is taking all of the strain of holding the car stationary. Much better to use the brakes to perform this action at the wheels, with them taking the strain instead of the gearbox and transmission

Especially sensible when parking on inclines or in traffic when someone might bank you from behind - I don't mind getting a dent fixed, I wouldnt want to have a transmission or gearbox issue years later because I had used the transmission as my parking brake
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 17:26   #8
SKH
SKH

That was my question, yours is the newer style dashboard. I will have a look at the fuse this weekend anyway. Thanks for replying.