Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front Wishbone Rear Bush Nut Size

Views : 1228

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2018, 09:57   #11
AlexO

Chaps,

Just to finish this one off.

I got the passenger side bush changed last night and tensioned both of the nuts with the car on the ramps. Obviously the passenger side was the easier side (why is the first one always the hardest?!) and took under an hour with everything slipping on and off with minimal swearing and banging. I had to drop the exhaust downpipe off on to some support to give enough clearance to get some decent torque on the driver's side nut (thanks for that tip Clifford) and, whilst it's still not as tight as I'd like it to be, it'll do.

Anyway, the previous banging and clattering on bumps and breaking has now been replaced by a loud squeaking. The bushes didnt come with any grease and I'm certainly not taking it apart again to grease them so fingers crossed it all settles down.

That's it for car tinkering for me for a couple of months until the sailing season starts winding down. I'm thinking of going for the M47 conversion in October but, until then, I've got a few thousand miles of towing to do.

Hope you're having as much fun I am,

Alex
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexO For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 10:42   #12
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Alex & Co: ~ just done the same exercise on the driver’s side of my car,
For a little while now I have had this annoying knocking sound from under the car on certain road conditions- i.e. vibration.
Difficult to track down but as I had all the bushes in stock from a spares package purchased a couple of years back I decided to change them (full rear set done see other posts) vibration remained. Started the front drivers side yesterday and the glaring thing that jumped out had been two loose bolts on the rear wishbone bracket- inner two- no effort require to remove/turn these with the socket wrench, hope this is the cause but testing today.
The work is quite straight forward but as usual something always blocks the way! In my case the small front bush just would not give in and replacing was just as bad! The larger bush was fine and whilst this still looked spot on it was changed.
The rear nut hidden inside the bracket is difficult to access as previously mentioned- I didn’t want to remove the full exhaust down pipe but did remove the exhaust bracket from the bellhousing enabling better access with a ring spanner- restricted still but you can get the nut tight. The job had been further compounded because of the electricity going off from mid-day to 8pm (wanted to part drill the rubber out the small bush) The neighbours had to suffer a funny barbeque smell ( burnt rubber!) So I’m hoping that the two loose bolts had been the cause but worth checking if you have a similar situation, difficult to fathom how these have worked loose- follow the torque recommendations advised in the manual.
Hope it helps Bob
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 12:17   #13
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Update to the above post: ~ Tested the car yesterday and all is fine, the annoying rattle has disappeared. I’m sure that the cause had been the two loose bolts on the rear bracket and although the bushes had been changed they had been in good condition.
“So a worthwhile check if you have a similar condition but not one that is a regular occurrence”
Regards Bob.

Picure:~ A day out at Port Sunlight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0719 (1).JPG (73.0 KB, 13 views)
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 11:55   #14
AlexO

Thanks fo the input Bob. I didn't give any thought to that bracket on the exhaust downpipe because my first job on the car a few years back was removing that to replace the exhaust manifold and no way was I putting something so awkward back on!

Glad to hear you got it done though,

Alex
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 12:10   #15
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Is that this bracket .... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281972

The Classic Swede mentioned in that thread, without the bracket the exhaust is prone to cracking. Other comments were made by others.

I hope that helps.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 15:18   #16
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

That's the one Stephen:~
Two part bracket- another picture attached.
Bob

(Replaced after tightening the rear wishbone nut)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1054127.jpg (14.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Jun 28th, 2018 at 15:22.
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 16:55   #17
AlexO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Is that this bracket .... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281972

The Classic Swede mentioned in that thread, without the bracket the exhaust is prone to cracking. Other comments were made by others.

I hope that helps.
Thank Stephen but my exhaust bracket certainly didn't look like that! In fact I remember thinking "this isn't doing anything and just getting in the way" when I first looked at it. Perhaps it was an amateur replacement/budge? I'll look in to getting a replacement but my exhaust has been alright as is for the past 20K miles so I won't worry excessively.

That said I am thinking about a full new exhaust this autumn so I'll add it to the list of things to buy.

Alex