Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight Failure Service Required

Views : 31591

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2017, 11:06   #1
Voltan

Default Headlight Failure Service Required

My XC60 MY11 is showing a warning message stating "Headlight Failure Service Required". An orange warning light also is displayed, indicating a malfunction of the ABL system. The lights work correctly in all other respects.

Does anyone have any experience of this fault. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 11:26   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

had this on the last XC60 and the temporary cure was to disable the bending of the headlights until a fix could be done. You get to this through the menu structure (can recall where)

the permanent fix was for the sensors on the rear wheels to be replaced - the fault had something to do with sensor not seeing the difference is wheel speed rotation therefore it dont know how much to bend the headlights. IIRC the load sensor was also faulty which meant the auto-levelling was was malfunctioning and this also affect the ABL unit as that is what provides the autolevelling.

You need to get the codes read to see exactly which module is at fault.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 15:24   #3
Voltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
had this on the last XC60 and the temporary cure was to disable the bending of the headlights until a fix could be done. You get to this through the menu structure (can recall where)

the permanent fix was for the sensors on the rear wheels to be replaced - the fault had something to do with sensor not seeing the difference is wheel speed rotation therefore it dont know how much to bend the headlights. IIRC the load sensor was also faulty which meant the auto-levelling was was malfunctioning and this also affect the ABL unit as that is what provides the autolevelling.

You need to get the codes read to see exactly which module is at fault.
Thanks for that. It is useful to have some idea before committing to the garage. The self-levelling still works on mine, it is only the ABL that is faulty. This fault isn't covered by my WD warranty, unfortunately.

I had a look through the menus but couldn't find an option to disable the ABL but I'll look again.
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 19:37   #4
Voltan

I found the menu item to disable the ABL but the check mark reappears immediately after it has been set to be inactive, i.e. it will not deactivate. I recall now that the Sensus system was misbehaving as it was not showing the cabin temperature settings on the journey before the ABL error appeared. The temperature readings did return on restarting the engine, when the ABL fault first became apparent, so perhaps the ABL fault only needs a harder reboot of the system. (Wishful thinking)
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 06:52   #5
volvo for ever
Premier Member

hi had this once before it said to replace headlamp unit did this by donnoring one didnt help ,i disconected the earth from battery then reconnected it it cured it ,,worth a try .ill try look upo what codes i had logged see if same as yourregards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 17:50   #6
Voltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
hi had this once before it said to replace headlamp unit did this by donnoring one didnt help ,i disconected the earth from battery then reconnected it it cured it ,,worth a try .ill try look upo what codes i had logged see if same as yourregards
I think that does sound a worth shot as I suspect the software. Will I need a radio code after reconnecting though?

Last edited by Voltan; Aug 22nd, 2017 at 19:34. Reason: Grammar
Voltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 19:31   #7
Voltan

Discovered I don't need any code. I've tried disconnecting the earth and leaving it disconnected for a few minutes before reconnecting but unfortunately the error message returned.

I've booked it into the garage for a diagnosis next Monday, so will have to wait and see what the damage is.

It would be really useful to have the codes if you can manage it "Volvo for Ever". Thanks

Last edited by Voltan; Aug 22nd, 2017 at 19:35.
Voltan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Voltan For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 18:19   #8
Voltan

Had my ABL fixed. As suggested, it was the sensor on the rear axle, which unfortunately, was not covered by my WD Extracover warranty. As luck would have it, it would have been covered by my Extensive component Volvo warranty that expired at the end of June. According to the garage, it's not a common failure but it is a fairly expensive one as the part is the best part of £100's.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 18:54   #9
CounterSpell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltan View Post
Had my ABL fixed. As suggested, it was the sensor on the rear axle, which unfortunately, was not covered by my WD Extracover warranty. As luck would have it, it would have been covered by my Extensive component Volvo warranty that expired at the end of June. According to the garage, it's not a common failure but it is a fairly expensive one as the part is the best part of £100's.
you mean: the ABS rear sensor?
CounterSpell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 15:34   #10
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Thread resurrection!

I've had the "Headlamp system malfunction Service required" message spring up a few days back
Lights *appear* to work normally. I also have a MotorEasy Warranty, although as with many, they exclude lamps and bulbs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltan View Post
I vaguely recall having something similar on a Saab many years back (with Xenon lamps - not quite the Active Main Beam magic in my XC60), & it being a sensor which listed at a few £100 (think the garage got a reconditioned one for me!)

Not sure whether my cover will include such a sensor - wording is of course not specific enough, although it does cover "All electrical components
(including electronic components and electronic control units)"

Guess I need to book it in to be looked at first....anyone else here had this, & got an idea of the cost of fixing!?
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post: