Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 160111

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2016, 13:18   #21
Redsun351

I looked at the Macon and Lexus NX as my final 3.
The Macon is underwhelming in every way and starting at 46K for the S (43K for the base) it's way too expensive, it gets even more frightening when you do a like for like spec to a SE Lux Nav...I gave up at 50k

I would probably have gone for the Lexus NX but my friend liked it so much he bought one for his wife so that killed that idea off.

Medium size SUV's are a difficult choice for the next couple of years with new model changes. If it wasn't the last chance to have a D5 before it's gone I would have gone with another coupe on this change.

Good luck with your options :-)
Redsun351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 16:49   #22
norco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
As far as I know the configurator for the new Tiguan for Germany was just launched and I was disappointed to see that the only diesel engine available is the same old 4cyl 2.0 TDI at 150PS. Compared to the outgoing model, not that different from the outside either. However, they seem to have definitely fixed the boot problem.

To each his own taste and preference of course, but I believe the exterior of the Macan is great. The interior is nowhere near the elegance of the exterior. If I could afford the GTS, I wouldn't mind the interior either

My wife and I both loved the new XC90 to be honest, if we were in the market now; it would be our first pick.
What car saying 178 and 218 bhp 2 litre diesels available. Have to differ on shape, to me it's nothing like the old rounded back shape, very much like the new toureg..
norco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 18:45   #23
Arianne
Premier Member

Thanks for the replies folks. So the BMW dealer doesn't have an X3 with the engine and gearbox, they're offering an X5 with the engine and an X3 with the other spec. Oh well, it's a start. Personally I am drawn to the Macan at this stage. But we will see. Best wishes. Arianne
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 23:16   #24
NigelDay
Premier Member

When I was shortlisting, the Q5, X3 and XC60 all came out within about a thousand of each other for a similar spec / option selections. Volvo discounts are around 10% better than Audi or BMW, so this needs to be factored in. Certainly Porsche base price, options and minimal discounts will push up the price, probably bringing it into line with the F-Pace. Depending what you are looking for, there will always be certain 'sweet spots' on specs and options for all the premium manufacturers. For me, the XC60 spec / option I chose does represent that 'sweet spot'. The test drive is critical, and not just a short one. It has to be in the engine, transmission, suspension and tyre specification you will choose. If the BMW dealer can't deliver a test drive in what you want, then walk away. I did the same from three Volvo dealerships before I found one who understood what I was looking for and sorted out the necessary test drive. They got the business.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 08:16   #25
Crockers
Premier Member

Agree. Very good thread. I was wondering what I'd choose.
GLC...not convinced on looks, sat in one and not keen on the iPad stuck on dash.
XC90....very nice, loved the seats in the inscription model ..not sure on a 4 cylinder only option.
X3....not keen on BMWs
Audi Q5....new model coming out.
Porsche Macan...wow. OK it's expensive with no discounts but also has great residuals.
Xc60. ..still love my car but new one on the horizon.

Star is the Range Rover......but I can't afford one.

So I'll stick with what I have as it is as my stepfather used to say...the best car is one that us laid for
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 08:41   #26
Arianne
Premier Member

Spoke the Mrs A last night about the position with the BMW dealer. The result is that we will cancel the appointment because there really is no point driving an X5 with the engine/gearbox combo as a proxy for the smaller and lighter X3. I have asked them if they have a used model with the right engine and gearbox on an X3 but I have yet to hear back from them.

I accept that the Porsche will be more expensive but, even though the residuals are becoming a bit softer, the model holds its value well and Porsche are unlikely to chase volume. We have choices about how to finance this next car. One option is to use cash from savings (we have plenty of liquidity) although I prefer the thought of avoiding such a large drawdown. Another is PCP because the residuals are so strong on the Macan, although the dealer PCP is 7.81% and there's just no way I am accepting that. Halifax have a new PCP product on the market at 4.2% which is enticing. Or I could compromise and put a large deposit down and buy the car through finance on the balance, knowing that it will be easy to sell after 3-4yrs (it's a Macan after all!).

Of course, all of this depends upon us liking it and tomorrow will be just the beginning. If we are interested then we will take our time which is why we've started looking now. I understand Porsche provide a track day experience at Silverstone so that you can learn how to drive the thing if you place an order!

I also have grown to like the XC90 but I just cannot get my head around a 4cyl VEA engine in this size of car. I have come to learn the DNA of the VEA unit - it's competent, enjoyable but just lacks that certain something which a 5cyl or 6cyl unit might provide.

I have really struggled to settle on a replacement for our current car. I thought the f-pace might be the answer. When I have compared the lifetime cost & likely ownership experience of the Macan alongside the f-pace it may be that the Jaguar comes back into play?

Oh well, we're going to enjoy the experience as for us it's all part of the fun. I'll update you guys after the test drive.

Great banter folks, always a pleasure to chat!

Arianne
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 10:01   #27
CakeMan

I only have a view on the X3 and my thoughts are that it is the ugly duckling between the X1 and X5. The front headlights looks strange as does the rear light cluster.

If they style he next one like a bigger version of the new X1, they'll be onto a winner. I almost went down the X1 route, but possibly just a bit too small.

Last edited by CakeMan; Jan 29th, 2016 at 10:09.
CakeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 10:07   #28
Crockers
Premier Member

Don't rule out the Audi SQ5....awesome engine...
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 10:09   #29
K5 Gus

Don't like the back of the Macan, F-Pace looks spot on to me. Renderings for new Q5 look nice as well

Last edited by K5 Gus; Jan 29th, 2016 at 10:12.
K5 Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 12:25   #30
Considered1
Premier Member

Tesla Model X when available to test?, they are also guaranteeing their residuals. Stonking performance if you have time for a cuppa every 200-300 miles, Supercharge in 30mins, apparently!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan