Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 R Design Towbar Installation 2016

Views : 2521

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2018, 20:17   #1
nigxl

Default XC60 R Design Towbar Installation 2016

Wondering if anyone has any pictures of their towbar installations on the R Design.
Looks like only a few manufacturers will state that they are suitable for the R Design due to the extra skid plate I'd imagine.
I'm wondering if I should go with the detachable bar and get the cover from Volvo or just go with the swan neck permanent fit.
Particularly looking for the size of bumper cut needed.
Thanks
nigxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 22:41   #2
HDAV
Master Member

I have the genuine Volvo detachable kit fitted its a rebranded brink bar, the cut is larger than I would like. Will take a photo, don’t forget the software update for towing module, oddly I don’t get any audible trailer indicator warning but they do work? Was expecting a notification on dash or audible but no (perhaps as I’m using a 7pin to 13pin adapter)
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 05:16   #3
nigxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
I have the genuine Volvo detachable kit fitted its a rebranded brink bar, the cut is larger than I would like. Will take a photo, don’t forget the software update for towing module, oddly I don’t get any audible trailer indicator warning but they do work? Was expecting a notification on dash or audible but no (perhaps as I’m using a 7pin to 13pin adapter)
Ok thanks, I'll just be using a 7 pin to tow a trailer and boat.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 05:18   #4
nigxl

Oddly you say it's a rebranded Brink bar as the supplying dealer told me that the genuine bars were rebranded Witter bars ??
I'll probably do the install myself with the dedicated kit by ECS.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 13:15   #5
1monkey600

If you look here:
https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-490881/2016
You will see that the towbar will be the same for all the different specs but you need to get a special cover for the r-design (usually about £15 I think)

Genuine Volvo towbars are made by Thule/Brink (same company) same as Thule make all the roof bars, bike stuff, etc for Volvo.
I highly recommend you go with genuine Volvo wiring and module. The only downside to this is that you have to go to Volvo to get software installed before it will work (at all). However, you get multiple benefits - eg trailer stability integration with the car, reversing sensors auto switch-off, foglight on trailer only, etc. From what I have seen on various 3rd party webshops the genuine stuff is cheaper, too. (<£100 For parts)

I believe genuine detacheable towbar from Volvo is currently on backorder but the Brink horizontal looks very similar to me. Eg
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/v...7-towbars.html

Give FRF volvo in Swansea a ring (not e-mail or forum) with your VIN and forum discount code to see what they can do for you. See 1st page of their thread in the traders section of the forum for their phone and discount code.

The cut in the bumper does look big but once the cover is on it is surprisingly discrete.

I have no 'permanent' indication of being plugged in to a trailer. I found I only got warnings when the trailer developed an earth fault which I was immediately notified of in the dash? If you read this thread it will give you more info on advantages, of the genuine wiring and software.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281599

Last edited by 1monkey600; Jul 18th, 2018 at 13:24. Reason: Added link to xc70 section
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 13:42   #6
jcxc60

Having recently fitted a brink detachable to an R-design hopefully this info will be useful. I believe the bar is the same as the volvo official one however the fold away socket does not fit in the volvo cut out and stops the bumper matching cover from being used (see pics).

This weekend I will be removing the bring swing away socket bracket and replacing with a fixed one to tuck it up inside the bumper. Then hopefully it will all be hidden. Can update once I have solved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4170.jpg (180.4 KB, 71 views)
jcxc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jcxc60 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 13:52   #7
nigxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1monkey600 View Post
If you look here:
https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-490881/2016
You will see that the towbar will be the same for all the different specs but you need to get a special cover for the r-design (usually about £15 I think)

I believe genuine detacheable towbar from Volvo is currently on backorder but the Brink horizontal looks very similar to me. Eg
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/v...7-towbars.html

Give FRF volvo in Swansea a ring (not e-mail or forum) with your VIN and forum discount code to see what they can do for you. See 1st page of their thread in the traders section of the forum for their phone and discount code.

The cut in the bumper does look big but once the cover is on it is surprisingly discrete.

I have no 'permanent' indication of being plugged in to a trailer. I found I only got warnings when the trailer developed an earth fault which I was immediately notified of in the dash? If you read this thread it will give you more info on advantages, of the genuine wiring and software.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281599
Do you mean this one?
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/volvo-xc60...le-towbar.html
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 13:54   #8
nigxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxc60 View Post
Having recently fitted a brink detachable to an R-design hopefully this info will be useful. I believe the bar is the same as the volvo official one however the fold away socket does not fit in the volvo cut out and stops the bumper matching cover from being used (see pics).

This weekend I will be removing the bring swing away socket bracket and replacing with a fixed one to tuck it up inside the bumper. Then hopefully it will all be hidden. Can update once I have solved.
I'm assuming the Volvo cover is a large cover that should cover all of this once fitted.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 13:56   #9
nigxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxc60 View Post

Looks as if your skid plate needs to be adjusted / cut as well in that pic.
Socket appears to be proud of the bumper, can it be moved back towards the vehicle at all?
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 14:08   #10
jcxc60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigxl View Post
Looks as if your skid plate needs to be adjusted / cut as well in that pic.
Socket appears to be proud of the bumper, can it be moved back towards the vehicle at all?
I tried it in about 5 different positions and that was the best possible. It wouldnt swing away as it always hit the crossmember behind. Yes the volvo cover is quite large so should hide it all but its not large enough for the swing away socket hence going fixed.
jcxc60 is offline   Reply With Quote