Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bad day in the garage (winge)

Views : 2153

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2011, 16:54   #1
woolfie1948

Default Bad day in the garage (winge)

In an attempt to stop the 164 pinking badly I decided to have the dizzy checked out by H and H ignition services. (very nice people to deal with) It turns out that it is working as spec. and has very little wear, but they were not surprised it pinked on modern fuel as the advance curve although correct was 'very severe'.
I had them modify the curve to see if that helps and they sent it back very quickly. So before I put it back in I thought I would put in one of my stock of original Bosch points -and that is where the day went bad. They do say Volvo 164 on the packets but although they look almost identical to the old ones the wire goes in the wrong direction and so is too short. So it was off to the spares shop to buy their last set - and of course the phone message came 'while you are out pop into Sainsburys for me etc etc.'
So got home and wanted to test the dizzy, although I would usually wait for it to turn a bit warmer I went out and fitted it, and you guessed, it would not start.
So started checking the obvious and while shining my torch on the engine noticed something shiny on the garage floor - a quick look under and there is a puddle of oil - red oil! I suppose it has to be ATF, but why when the car has been standing distributorless for three weeks? I don't even know if it came out slowly over three weeks or in a rush when I was turning the engine over today.
Two problems at once is more than I can cope with these days, especially in the cold, so it was inside for a cup of tea and a think. I think now it will all wait till I'm in a better mood as how I feel now I am liable to do something stupid!
Sorry to winge but nobody else home to moan at and no cat to kick and needed to let it out. (My frustration not the cat)
Jonathan
woolfie1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woolfie1948 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 07:18   #2
john h
VOC Member

Best of luck getting it sorted!

(If the gearbox is broken, there's a 'kit' of parts to convert to manual + overdrive for sale on here at the moment...)

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 09:35   #3
woolfie1948

Waiting for it to warm up a bit now before going outside to try and sort it but any ideas appreciated.
First: Why would a gearbox working no problems just let out a small puddle of ATF while standing in the garage, and where could it be coming from?
Secondly: What do I look at first on the non starting issue?
The engine was running and starting first time. I put the engine on TDC with rotor arm pointing at no 1 HT lead in the cap before taking dizzy out. I put in new points and put back dizzy setting the timing (static) to 10 degrees before TDC. This also confirmed by marks I put on dizzy before taking it out lining up ok.
Same cap, rotor arm, and leads as before and then connected LT lead.
I hope to have someone to turn the key so I can confirm spark at plugs later but all suggestions welcome please.
Jonathan
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 13:41   #4
arcturus
arcturus

Have you checked that there is a spark? Not teaching granny to suck eggs but in case you don't know,remove a plug, and connected to ht lead with plug body grounded on block turn engine over add check for spark. If there is one but weak, change condensor and whilst you are at it fit a new high energy Boch coil.
If NO spark work your way back through system checking for bad connections.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 14:04   #5
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

first of all sorry to hear about your problem.

Are you sure you have the car to TDC, as its very easy to get it 180 degrees out, it looks like its TDC but isnt and in this case it wont start.

Just an idea as i have actually done this on one of my older cars lol

Simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 14:05   #6
woolfie1948

Thanks
Just waiting for an assistant to turn starter.
Coil is only few weeks old and points are new. Rotor arm and plug leads are under a year old.
I know its really a case of working through every possibility and have a new dizzy cap on the shelf ready if needed.
The frustrating thing is that it always started so easily before I had the dizzy overhauled.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 14:41   #7
arcturus
arcturus

Double check that you're not 180 out, it's easily done.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 15:58   #8
woolfie1948

Thanks Arcturus (and others) I will check again. I do remember looking through the oil filler cap and the valve springs being extended, and if I remember correctly this is Tdc on the firing stroke?
The rotor arm was pointing at no 1 in the cap when I took the dizzy out and when it went back but another check will not hurt.
I have just had to stand outside in the cold to show son in law how to change his disc pads so now need to get warm through again before looking at the 164. I don't think you have this problem where you are.
Thanks to all for your suggestions - things like this are not so depressing when you have others showing interest and giving support.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 18:18   #9
harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolfie1948 View Post
So started checking the obvious and while shining my torch on the engine noticed something shiny on the garage floor - a quick look under and there is a puddle of oil - red oil! I suppose it has to be ATF, but why when the car has been standing distributorless for three weeks? I don't even know if it came out slowly over three weeks or in a rush when I was turning the engine over today.
What happens while the car is standing unused is that the converter drains back into the main body of the transmission, artificially raising the fluid level, and causing leaks. The cure is to run the engine regularly, which I know in your current predicament isn't possible, so wait until you get it running again, that in itself will refill the converter, and then you can check the fluid level and top up if required.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harvey For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 19:12   #10
woolfie1948

Thanks for that information Harvey - very interesting, I won't panic yet then!
It has not happened to me before so was already thinking in terms of rebuilds unless I was lucky and the drain plug had come loose.
First thing must be to work out what stupid mistake I have made putting the dizzy back in and to get the engine running but this cold weather does not help. If it had been summer I would have retreated to the garage with a 'do not disturb' sign on the door and pondered the problem.
Thanks again for your support

Tags
bosch points