Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's it worth

Views : 1052

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2020, 21:39   #11
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi.
If you ever need any help with insurance that offer the option of a fixed agreed value then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 22:16   #12
taiwan740

I've got a 940, but have fancied something different and have looked at changing it for the past year.

To find something equivalent that doesn't have all the garbage that I don't like from a car and has everything I do like, I have one car in mind but the cheapest I found of that particular model is 15,000GBP

Therefore, the 940 is worth 15,000GBP as its the equivalent replacement value. For me.

(no i will not pay that for a car lol)
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 23:10   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
It all comes down to finding that elusive buyer. The OP's 940 is gorgeous, and worth serious money to the right buyer. Equally it's worth about £60 for scrap to the wrong one!

As it's LPG'd it'll be economical to run, although for the purist the conversion detracts from the originality - which might, bizarrely, devalue the car.

Dave is right. with everything that's been invested in it the favourite option has to be to keep it and enjoy your investment. That's the conclusion I came to with my S90.

And Mercs are not all they're cracked up to be. I once owned a 1995 W124 E-Class saloon. Reputedly Stutgart's best ever model. Lovely car to look at, and superb to drive, but prone to niggling faults and (surprisingly) rust. It was 5 years old when I bought it, with just 50,000 miles up. But in the space of a further 55,000 miles it had engine troubles, gearbox troubles, rust peeping through the paintwork, wiper motor issues (that big single-blade sweep is impressive but complicated), and some of the air-operated accessories gave up the ghost. Oh and the speedo never really worked properly.

So what's the 940 worth? Well anything between £50 and £5000!

Jack

Thanks for that Jack and for pointing out the pitfalls of Mercs - i have tried explaining them to David via email plus some other knowledge i've picked up about Mercs and other pitfalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
I've got a 940, but have fancied something different and have looked at changing it for the past year.

To find something equivalent that doesn't have all the garbage that I don't like from a car and has everything I do like, I have one car in mind but the cheapest I found of that particular model is 15,000GBP

Therefore, the 940 is worth 15,000GBP as its the equivalent replacement value. For me.

(no i will not pay that for a car lol)
That's the other thing, if ever either of my cars were in a position where they could no longer be used, i have very little idea what i'd replace them with. I have a couple of ideas but both would cost a fair whack to find a decent example and then i'd still have to make certain improvements to them to get them how i wanted. That would take more moeny so i daresay your estimate of £15k isn't far out of the way.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 13:24   #14
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX View Post
Hi.
If you ever need any help with insurance that offer the option of a fixed agreed value then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Hi Dan, Thanks for the offer but I am quite happy with my insurance with F.J, I do have an agreed valuation of £3500 with them, but I now think its worth a little more, that's one reason why I asked in my OP about getting it valued. David.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 16:00   #15
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
As i've already mentioned to you David, avoid those Mercs! They're already on the secondhand market for a reason, usually an expensive one!
I know, but you could say that about buying any second hand car.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 16:02   #16
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Urgh German stuff 🤮
and they bombed all our chippy's
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 16:07   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
I know, but you could say that about buying any second hand car.
True but Merc dealers charge stupid money per hour for labour and so do Merc indies - think upwards of £2/minute but they usually have a minimum 1hr charge or part thereof.

Check out a few Merc forums, you'll soon see the common problems (besides the rust!) and how much it is to sort out. Also most of the time the general response is "Take it to the dealer", most Merc owners don't want or know how to do things for themselves. This is information that has come to me by someone asking advice on the Rover forum about a problem with a late 90s supercharged Merc he recently bought because he couldn't get anything other than the above advice on the Merc forum.

Then there's "Ze fallen Madonna mit ze big boobies, ja!"

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 17:06   #18
griston64
Premier Member

I'ts all really down to personal experience. I had 6 various BMW's in the 80's,90's and most recently a new 2003 320i. Not a bit of trouble with any of them. Regular service oil change etc and they were all over 100k when i got rid. Annoyingly I traded the 320i which was a great car for a Volvo V70 p2 ( more room for 2 sons )which turned out to be by far the worst car I have ever owned It was in the garage more than it was on my drive for the 18 months that I owned it. Couldn't wait to see the back of the bl**dy thing !! I also know two close friends who have had various Mercs 350sl,280sl and 500 models who have had no issues

Not a fan of Mercs tbh but I was nearly tempted by a 1974 saloon recently as it looked superb. Not sure what model but it had the same coloured hubcaps and the straight up type front lights. Very cool looking car

Think the moral is you can get good and bad in all cars whether secondhand or new. With older secondhand you are always taking a risk especially from a dealer
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 17:10   #19
griston64
Premier Member

merc.jpg

Tell me that's not cool ???
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 17:27   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I also know two close friends who have had various Mercs 350sl,280sl and 500 models who have had no issues

Not a fan of Mercs tbh but I was nearly tempted by a 1974 saloon recently as it looked superb. Not sure what model but it had the same coloured hubcaps and the straight up type front lights. Very cool looking car

Think the moral is you can get good and bad in all cars whether secondhand or new. With older secondhand you are always taking a risk especially from a dealer
Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Attachment 131769

Tell me that's not cool ???
You're talking about a different generation of Mercs Mark, the ones i would have! Older than 1990 and they were good cars, after that they went downhill rapidly. The mid 90s onwards and they are plagued with rust, even more electrical problems and ECUs that fail, particularly on the supercharged versions - even Mercedes changed how the supercharger clutch was switched so gives you an idea!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: