Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Start/stop function

Views : 4594

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2020, 19:17   #1
Wispyone

Default Start/stop function

Good evening

So I have had the car , 2017 V90, for a few weeks now so still getting to grips with all the controls and settings.
I mainly use the car in eco mode and have the engine start/stop switched on but for the last few days when stopping in traffic the engine stays on. Looking on the dash the start/stop symbol in present but has a line through it. Is there a second secret control button/switch I am missing?

Cheers
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 19:36   #2
Mad Malc

If you have a battery charger to hand try leaving it connected to the car overnight to 'boost' the system.
This worked on my S60 and it may well work for you.
Mad Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Malc For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 20:27   #3
Thorium

Have a look at the manual on your phone app. There are a lot of reasons why the start/stop function won't function as you expect, including outside temperature, heated windscreen being on, passenger compartment temperature, engine temperature.....the list goes on.

If you do a lot of short journeys, the battery may be slightly discharged (another reason why the start/stop deactivates), but it's probably one of the other reasons. I'd put money on it working again once all of the conditions are right.
Thorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thorium For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 20:43   #4
Wizzpop
Master Member

Your not missing anything. The Stop/Start function stops working when the charge in the battery falls below a set threshold (65% ?) If you only do relatively short journeys then the battery may not get sufficient charge.
It is also possible, indeed likely, that the battery is failing. There are several on here who have had their battery replaced under warranty.
What I have been doing is to put the battery on charge for at least 24 hours. Then note against every journey (on the VOC Journey log) whether Start/Stop is available (no line through the icon). I have found it is OK for a couple of days, then fails. Once we are out of the current situation, I shall take this up with the dealer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 20:48   #5
warwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorium View Post
Have a look at the manual on your phone app. There are a lot of reasons why the start/stop function won't function as you expect, including outside temperature, heated windscreen being on, passenger compartment temperature, engine temperature.....the list goes on.

If you do a lot of short journeys, the battery may be slightly discharged (another reason why the start/stop deactivates), but it's probably one of the other reasons. I'd put money on it working again once all of the conditions are right.
As above the battery needs to be something like 98% charged, short journeys or lack of use for a few days soon take it beneath this level a longer run sorts it out unless your battery is losing its efficiency. Our previous Merc the stop start stopped working and the battery was replaced under warranty in only two years.
warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to warwick For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 21:28   #6
Wispyone

Ok so it appears it may be the battery, I only do 12 miles each way to work but itching to get out for a good run in it. Not that it's allowed at the present time.

I will keep an eye on it and may get battery checked when dealers re-open
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 21:59   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

The car may be doing a Regen of the exhaust particle filter which stops the stop start function until it has been completed, a 20 minute run above 45 mph will complete this process if it is that and also put charge in your battery
If you are doing short runs it may not be long enough to complete the regeneration process.
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...-stop-function
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Mar 27th, 2020 at 22:09.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 12:21   #8
Driver Dave

Quite simply the charging system and batteries in the Volvo are not up to the job. If like me you do several short journeys the s/s system will stop working. In the Volvo handbook it recommends doing a 15 minute journey once a week.

I have found that is nowhere near enough. Having done 3 roundtrip journeys of 8 miles on consecutive days my s4s stopped working. A trip of over 50 miles the following day taking about an hour and a quarter still did not restore it. The batteries and charging circuits have been checked on numerous occasions by my dealer and there is no fault showing up.

Charging for 24 hours using a CTEK smart charger brings it back, well for a few days anyway.

Basically the system is not fit for purpose but Volvo will do nothing about it. It's the same on my MY17 XC90 and MY20 XC40.
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 13:52   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
Quite simply the charging system and batteries in the Volvo are not up to the job. If like me you do several short journeys the s/s system will stop working. In the Volvo handbook it recommends doing a 15 minute journey once a week.

I have found that is nowhere near enough. Having done 3 roundtrip journeys of 8 miles on consecutive days my s4s stopped working. A trip of over 50 miles the following day taking about an hour and a quarter still did not restore it. The batteries and charging circuits have been checked on numerous occasions by my dealer and there is no fault showing up.

Charging for 24 hours using a CTEK smart charger brings it back, well for a few days anyway.

Basically the system is not fit for purpose but Volvo will do nothing about it. It's the same on my MY17 XC90 and MY20 XC40.
I had the same problem as you and it took two years before the garage finally agreed it was a faulty AGM battery and replaced it under warranty, my stop start has worked perfectly ever since and I do mainly short journeys.
Several people have had to have the battery replaced due to a faulty batch.
I suspect that the original poster of this thread is just experiencing a normal temporary hold as his was working fine and I have found the only thing that "normally" prevents stop start working for a longer time is the Regen if the system has been working normally, other than if the car has been stood idle for a while which then requires a longer run to put charge in battery above the cut off point.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 14:47   #10
WhatNext?

Same as nu11eaf, dealer kept saying battery charge low (needing overnight charging) and no fault found. Even said my 1 year mileage of 14 000 is low!

After my insistence of a proper diagnostic, the battery was found to be faulty. They tried to blame this on my DashCam causing severe drain.

Since the battery was changed, the SS has worked flawlessly.

I bought an ANCEL BM300 bluetooth battery monitor, just to reassure myself the DashCam was not causing a battery drain (it's permanently attached to the battery and works via bluetooth/phone app to give me readings of the battery Voltage) - its' not

There is large batch of faulty battery that does not show purely based on testing Voltage

Ancel Battery Monitor here

Last edited by WhatNext?; Mar 28th, 2020 at 15:07.
WhatNext? is offline   Reply With Quote