Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water drips from interior light?

Views : 29115

Replies : 157

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2015, 08:25   #81
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

I've been through the history on my car and it has also had a replacement screen due to leakage last year. The invoice from Volvo (my car had everything done by Volvo before I bought it) states that the car was bought in with a leak and it was found to be the windscreen bonding and the screen was already chipped and cracked so there was a new screen fitted and this solved the problem. It certainly doesn't leak now!

Car is a 2008 XC70 D5 first reg 31/01/2008, screen fitted 29/05/2014 at 121,639 miles. Car now showing 147,984 miles

Last edited by Sasha94; Oct 30th, 2015 at 11:09.
Sasha94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 12:09   #82
tt82
Forum Support Team

Does the reciept show whether the customer paid or if Volvo did?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 12:14   #83
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

The previous owner paid the bill. It needs another screen now as the new one is cracked. Most annoying!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 16:04   #84
Topper

tt82 ... wish I could help more but as far as Volvo dealers are concerned ( as a committed Volvo owner for longer than I care to remember !!!) .......

1. I don't use em... I find them arrogant, snotty, superior, condescending, unreliable and, mostly, incompetent.... and those I have dealt with over the years, came and went ... and big ones at that .... and Volvo dealers appear to have all but now disappeared ( my nearest is over 30 miles away ).. which appears to show Volvo owners vote with their feet and feel the same way.

2. They are way, way, too expensive...... other peoples comments on this, and other, threads, seem bear this out.

3. They are unhelpful.

4. Others may feel differently and are entitled to their opinions also, as indeed I am to mine, but I prefer my local independent who has kept me and my last 4 Volvo's on the road, inexpensively and without fault for years.

Sorry .. hobby horse of mine ...!!!

Unless anyone else can reveal other dealers comments regarding this pretty important windscreen problem, it looks like we're awaiting your 3rd November visit.... my view is that they will give a verbal shrug ( if you're lucky ! ).
If this is indeed the case, I still feel that a local dealer isn't really going to be much use, as he won't be interested in an owner in Norwich or one in Gretna Green, or anywhere else, other than his own clients ( indeed if even then) and I go back to my original comments that it's a Forum / Trading Standards / manufacturer problem.

Good Luck and keep us posted
Topper
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 08:27   #85
tt82
Forum Support Team

Sadly Topper, I agree with most of the what you say.

Right, so my car was in the dealers yesterday for testing on the issue. Basically as far as I can tell they spent the whole do trying to prove their theory that it was the A/C evaporator that was casuing the leak, rather than doing any significant testing of the windscreen.
It would seem they put the vehicle up on the ramps and loosened the heat shield so they could see past it, straight to a drain plug for the A/C Evaporator. The car did leak water and they claimed this was normal and when it was road tested after this, the technician could not hear any sloshing sound. Unimpressed with this, I continued to insist it was the windscreen and that the sloshing sound would reappear if the A/C was turned off and water was put over the windscreen. I even mentioned to them about the Volvo fix of drilling holes in the wheel arches.
I was asked if I would wait for a technician to come back off a road test so that I could go out with him and demonstrate the sloshing sound to him, which I agreed to do, providing they gave the car a good shower from the hose pipe before we set off. After about 30-40 minutes of waiting, they eventually came to me with the Volvo Technical Bulletin for drilling holes in the wheel arches, saying that this was now the fault. (Great when you have to do the work for the dealers yourself isn't it.) The service manager was trying awkwardly to not say the build up of water "is a design fault", until I stopped him and said it for him, where he reluctantly agreed. At this point I was too anoyed to ask how this 'design fault' was only just showing up when the car was 5 years old and had not been apparent from the begining.

They contacted VCUK, informing them of the issue and my FVSH but VCUK have refused any goodwill, for a job the dealer has quoted at nearly £400 to do. The only upside is that the dealer did not have the cheek to charge me for wasting my time all day! I think the next plan of action is to phone VCUK myself and see what they have to say!

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/footer/contact-us

Old Nov 4th, 2015, 12:04   #86
tt82
Forum Support Team

I've spoke with VCUK, as my car is over 6 years old and on 150,000 miles they say it is beyoned the timeframe for the manufacturer to get involved. My only course of redress now is through the dealer I bought the car off. Having a look at some info on Consumer Rights, it looks as if we're back to arguing that the windscreen bond is a part that is not expected to fail, although it is harder to prove that it is the bond that has failed in my car.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...hats-happening

Quote:
Q. I purchased a washing machine three and a half years ago and it's now broken down. What help can I expect from the retailer under the new consumer rights rules as I'm currently being told I need to pay £200 for the repair, as I'm out of the warranty period?

The machine didn't cost much more but surely it should last more than three years!

A.
Because you're talking about goods that you own at the moment, the current law applies rather than the new Act. Even if you're outside your warranty period, you may still have rights under the law as they are separate from any rights you have under a warranty.

It will depend on whether you can prove that the machine was faulty when you bought it, which could be the case if it hasn't lasted as long as a reasonable person would expect, based on factors like how much it cost and how it was described.

If this is the case then the retailer should put things right free of charge. This would mean providing a repair or a replacement and this would need to be done in a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience.

Ultimately, if these requirements are not met, then you could return the machine and get some money back.

Under the new Consumer Rights Act, the right to repair or replacement after three and a half years will still depend on whether you can show the goods did not meet your rights – for example, if they are not of satisfactory quality.

If this is the case, you'll only have to allow the trader to deal with the fault through one repair or replacement, and if that doesn't fix the fault or another fault appears, you'll be able to move straight to claiming some money back.

Q. A small part on my two year-old tumble dryer has just broken, and the machine is useless without it. I'm still within the guarantee but am being told the part is a 'consumable' item so isn't covered.

Does the new Act clarify what counts as 'consumable' so people know what they may still have to pay for?

A.
The Act doesn't talk about consumable items and non-consumable items in those terms, but you will still be protected by the law even if the terms of your guarantee exclude those parts. Your rights under the law are separate from any rights under a guarantee.

If you can prove that the dryer was faulty when you bought it, for example because the tumble dryer has not lasted as long as you would reasonably expect for one of this cost and description, then you'll have rights under the Act.

It would mean that you'd be due a free repair of the dryer, by replacing the broken part (if that's possible) and if that repair failed to fix the problem or the part broke again, you would be entitled to send the dryer back and get some money back.

Last edited by tt82; Nov 4th, 2015 at 12:24. Reason: Added info
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 12:36   #87
Topper

tt82 ... thanks for your supporting comments about Volvo dealers and yes ... it is very sad that Volvo dealers appear the same wherever they are ...but dealing with them is also bl***y expensive ! ... however, not any longer for for me, since my departure from their grasping reach !

We must be raising some serious issues here, judging by the number of views and posts recorded ... one of the highest ever, so people must be as concerned as we are .. or having a good laugh at our expense !

I am staggered, absolutely staggered, to learn that :

1. At a time when we can send men into space for months on end, without any leaks to or from their vehicles, that a Volvo dealer insists that it is normal for a car to leak water ... surely if that were the case, then the roads would be flooded ....?
2. .. the recommended fix is to drill holes in the wheel arches ......??? ... they cannot be serious, that's just plain crackers and doesn't address the fault. Build up of water isn't the fault, it's the ingress of water in the first place ... but ... and most importantly !!!!!!!! ..
3. .... you have discovered that there is a Volvo Technical Bulletin to address this problem ... so Volvo DO know !! ... certainly as I expected all along.
4. Your answer from Volvo UK is not unexpected and as I posted ages back, they are adopting the attitude you would expect.
5. ... I wonder how far back Volkswagen intend to go now that they've been caught with their trousers down by blatantly suspending disbelief ...
6. .... perhaps we could do with a forum viewer whose Volvo is of recent vintage and has experienced this problem ...repaired or not ... by Volvo or not.

How distressing to learn from Volvo that one of their long term selling points .. of reliability over years... isn't true and that many of us have been, and still are, driving their high value vehicles with a serious structural problem, for varying lengths of time, then repairing their fault, unbeknown of Volvo's awareness and denial, at our own expense.

Worse still, there are people who are blissfully unaware of the problem or are choosing to ignore it.

Perhaps its time Volvo were advised of these comments and the volume of interest it is generating ( do you think any dealers actually are Board members / viewers, and sneak away without daring to comment? ) .... if only Jeremy still had his programme ... he would love this.

I'm stumped ... don't know which way to proceed ...could do with advice and support.

Regards Topper
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 13:10   #88
tt82
Forum Support Team

I think BBC's Watchdog would be a good idea. If we can get enough forum members to say they have the issue, then doing a feature on Watchdog will generate more attention on the problem. However the same still applies, that People need to discuss the issue with Volvo first. The windscreen bond failing is 1/2 of the issue, Volvo not being willing to rectify the issue is the other 1/2. EVERYBODY READING THIS needs to go their local dealer and complain about the issue if they are currently experiencing it, or have experienced it and have resolved it themselves.!

Old Nov 4th, 2015, 17:11   #89
tt82
Forum Support Team

CTCNetwork has posted a Sticky Topic Here to collect info. I have also posted one in the XC60/S60/V60 section Here.

Old Nov 5th, 2015, 12:49   #90
Topper

tt82 ...

Good Idea ... Watchdog website is on 't'internet... "Send Story to Watchdog " is the sub section for contributors ... they ask for photo's / videos.. which you have !

Who will contact them .. and when ??? ... sure they'll be plenty of support.

Topper