Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 604990

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2016, 22:59   #1121
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
I would hope so. I will call the dealer tomorrow but we have a few weeks and they're pretty good.

We are going to a pretty remote place and the thought of the car playing up in the Sunnmore Alps does not fill me with joy. We had this last year, just after we had disembarked from the ferry at Calais en-route to Switzerland. This is when I want to enjoy driving the car the most.

And the year before that, with just a week to go before departure for Italy, yes you've guessed it, the same problems. Please, not again!

Arianne
At least you should now be getting the 'definitive fix' which Clan mentioned just recently.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 23:14   #1122
kdst5

Does anyone know if the same problem happens on D4 V70's? I presume the engine is identical to that fitted to the V60, XC60 & S60, Just I can't see anyone complaining of the same problem in the V70 forum.
kdst5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 02:56   #1123
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdst5 View Post
Does anyone know if the same problem happens on D4 V70's? I presume the engine is identical to that fitted to the V60, XC60 & S60, Just I can't see anyone complaining of the same problem in the V70 forum.
Interesting question.

I don't know about the engine but other components like the cooling system are different to fit in the engine bay etc. The VEA D5 has never had an issue posted on the forum despite being virtually the same engine either.

It also goes in the V40 and I can't remember seeing any issue either on that forum.
Old May 20th, 2016, 09:54   #1124
tem
Premier Member

When I delivered my car to the dealers yesterday, I spoke to the Branch Manager regarding the EGR problems and he said, that they had very few cars with any sort of issue.
He put it down to mine being one of the earliest D4's.
I think Arianne got his XC60 around the same time.

Should have gone back today to pick the car up, but has been delayed until Monday afternoon, as the part for repair of wing mirror is faulty.

They gave me a MY15 V40 D2 and it through up a TPMS alarm on the way home.
Visually checked tyres, looked OK, but with no gauge to check and no garage for last 40 miles, will now look and see if the car has a slow puncture?

The joys of motoring.

tem.
Old May 20th, 2016, 10:13   #1125
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I had a courtesy call from a very nice lady where I got my Volvo from, have it serviced etc. "How have you found the XC60" she said excitedly? "Well apart, from the EGR being changed twice, the oxygen sensor having to be cleaned and a coolant leak caused by one of the pipes being put back incorrectly on the last EGR change causing it to rub and split.......it's been fine". She went quiet, at which point I laughed and told her I didn't blame her about these things.

I did ask if when the car next gets serviced, around 3k miles / 2 months, would the permanent fix be done or would I have to return again when the most recent EGR will inevitably fail, around 6-7k miles away based on experience. She said she would get back to me. That was 2 days ago. If she ever comes back I will let you know the answer. Assuming she does not, I am, I will ask for it to be done during the service. If they say no I will be annoyed as my car is clearly one where the current set up does not work.
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:01   #1126
Rooster
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdst5 View Post
The majority of the D4 engines are fitted to V60, XC60 and S60's so the issue is more common in this section, There isn't that many V70's that have the D4 engine fitted but they are affected so you will get the message at some point as will V40 owners,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 12:21   #1127
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Just has a phone call from my local service manager, timing hey, looking to book my car in for a service. Well in advance but getting a courtesy car out of them is tricky so you need to book ahead. I asked about the EGR fix but he said they were not able to do it without it failing as it is a warranty issue and Volvo need the fault codes before they will agree to it. I laid it on about inconvenience, hassle etc and whilst he sympathised he would not budge. I am going to contact Volvo and complain, not about the dealer but about this whole issue. Hopefully they will relent.

So, to those wondering if Volvo will do a blanket fix now the permanent fix is available, no they wont. Not yet anyway.
Old May 20th, 2016, 12:22   #1128
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I had a courtesy call from a very nice lady where I got my Volvo from, have it serviced etc. "How have you found the XC60" she said excitedly? "Well apart, from the EGR being changed twice, the oxygen sensor having to be cleaned and a coolant leak caused by one of the pipes being put back incorrectly on the last EGR change causing it to rub and split.......it's been fine". She went quiet, at which point I laughed and told her I didn't blame her about these things.

I did ask if when the car next gets serviced, around 3k miles / 2 months, would the permanent fix be done or would I have to return again when the most recent EGR will inevitably fail, around 6-7k miles away based on experience. She said she would get back to me. That was 2 days ago. If she ever comes back I will let you know the answer. Assuming she does not, I am, I will ask for it to be done during the service. If they say no I will be annoyed as my car is clearly one where the current set up does not work.
I think they will only undertake the new fix if it's actually failing. From what others have said on this thread the work takes a long time and so the cost to Volvo will be high. They would need a supporting audit trail such as a failure code to support the warranty claim, just assuming. This isn't a general recall and, based on the time and labour involved, I don't think it ever will be. So, my guess is that, in your case, the answer from your dealer will be negative. Unless it fails between now and the service date.

Mine is now booked for next Thursday. Let's see what happens but I can't fault the dealership, they are doing what they can.

Regards, Arianne
Old May 20th, 2016, 13:22   #1129
tem
Premier Member

I said in earlier post, at the moment one has to go through VCS's, explaining your current and previous problems.
You give them a contact at your dealership, they then phone, go through the history of your car and only then will/not authorisation be given.

My understanding how the system is working at this moment in time.

tem.
Old May 20th, 2016, 13:27   #1130
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
I think they will only undertake the new fix if it's actually failing. From what others have said on this thread the work takes a long time and so the cost to Volvo will be high. They would need a supporting audit trail such as a failure code to support the warranty claim, just assuming. This isn't a general recall and, based on the time and labour involved, I don't think it ever will be. So, my guess is that, in your case, the answer from your dealer will be negative. Unless it fails between now and the service date.

Mine is now booked for next Thursday. Let's see what happens but I can't fault the dealership, they are doing what they can.

Regards, Arianne
Arianne,
With your past history, I am surprised that when you phoned today, the dealer do not point you in the direction of VCS's.

tem.