Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Missing, stalling - getting worse

Views : 1492

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2009, 11:15   #1
LeeTurner

Default Missing, stalling - getting worse

Only had my 97 V70 a few weeks. A couple of days after buying it the MIL light came on. Car generally ran fine with a slight misfire happening only once but took it down to a good local independent. Problem was diagnosed as an air leak and the pipe was replaced. Driving home and the light came on again and the car started missing quite badly and ,upon pulling up to a stop, started to stall. Got hold of an OBDII interface and software - the code was showing P0335 - Crankshaft Sensor. Now this was strange as I've had a crankshaft sensor fail on my Jag and the car stopped completely until it cooled down. I took the car back in yesterday and the MIL was reset. I was told that the diagnostics were showing the P0335 error and he was also surprised as this tend to be a terminal failure, in that the car just stops. Was told to drive the car and if the MIL light came on again to bring it straight back. Needless to say it came back on and the symptoms were way worse than before. A major missing and stalling quite regularly and I barely made it home. Plugged in the reader and it's the same code.
Has anyone else experienced a crank sensor failure in this way? I'm wondering if the difference between the Volvo and the Jag is that the latter uses individual coil packs and if the sensor fails then there's nothing getting through for spark whilst the Volvo still has a dizzy.
Car is a 97 V70, 20V.
LeeTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 18:31   #2
glock19

Faulty crank sensor can cause hard startups - do you have these ?
glock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 19:43   #3
LeeTurner

Nope, that's what is strange. On my other car it wouldn't restart for quite a while - usually several hours. On the V70 if starts straight away even after a stall.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 02:34   #4
thealchemyst
Master Member

i had a faulty crank sensor on my 850 t5 ran fine and only really showed a problem on harsh aceleration, error code showed up on the self diagnosis test, replaced it with a brand new one and it was fixed never had the problem since! so yes you can have a faulty/failing sensor and still have the engine run.

cheers martyn
thealchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:03   #5
LeeTurner

Thanks for the answers. I'll book it in today as it wasn't a pleasant drive into work this morning - the car is missing and stalling at idle. For the first time it struggled a little to start after stalling and after being stuck on a motorway last time I had a crank sensor failure it's not something I want to repeat.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:27   #6
RSF
Master Member

It might need replacing or just tightning up.
Look at your gear box and it is in the centre at the top next to a pipe and behind a big fat pipe,has 2 bolts and they bolt to youe head,the bottom half of the sits inside the gear box.Might just need tightning up,if not it is easy enough to replace.
When replacing it,be patient as it has a dowl the sits in the head,you can replace it with out removing the gear box,is basicly what I'm trying to say.
Have you removed the sensor plug at all?
Reason I ask is,there is 2 plugs exactly the same and you may have them back to front.

T5 WANTED,CHEAP PROJECT WITH MOT
RSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 14:43   #7
LeeTurner

Update - the sensor was replaced but the MIL light is back on. It appears to be a wiring issue.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 18:29   #8
LeeTurner

Another update - sensor replaced but the fault is still not going away. The ECU was removed and cleaned and the MIL light reset. Within 1 mile it started missing again and the MIL light came on. Serious missing under load and it'll have to go back on Friday as I'm in London for the next 3 days.
Plugged in the laptop and it's still giving a P0335 crankshaft sensor circuit malfunction error.

Getting a bit stumped now - new vac pipe, new sensor. Is there anything else that can cause this error? I read on one forum that possible problems with the cambelt can cause an error as there is a discrepancy between the cam and crank sensors but this seems like more of a problem with the circuit itself. The mechanic that's dealing with it has been very good, only charging me for the sensor but I get the feeling that he's dreading seeing the car back in his yard. He's a very well regarded Volvo Independent.

Last edited by LeeTurner; Jul 27th, 2009 at 18:54.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 20:10   #9
thealchemyst
Master Member

unlikely but worth a quick look whilst trying to diagnose faults check for corrosion of the connectors in the plug on the loom! if they are slightly or very corroded it might cause you to be loosing the signal, another possibility is that you have a fractured wire in the loom (in the signal circuit) this can be a real pain in the ass to diagnose and sort out so i'm hoping that it isnt that!
if your volvo independent cant find the fault it would probably be worth getting a proper vehicle electrician to fault find it!
hope you find the problem soon.
thealchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:03   #10
LeeTurner

It certainly appears to be heat related - I had an early start this morning and the for the first 20 minutes of the journey the car ran perfectly as it does every time from cold. As the engine gets hotter the missing starts. Does heat affect resistance? In terms of contacts I would have thought that with metal expanding due to heat that the contact would have got better. I'm on my way to London so will pick up some decent contact cleaner and give everything a blast with that.
Forgot to add - the temp gauge stays at 3 o'clock.