Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 T4 (1.9) Misfire / backfire - running rich

Views : 13967

Replies : 167

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 19:43   #101
T4Rick
Premier Member

I get you now
T4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 21:47   #102
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyskona View Post
I just need to find a lambda i can get next day now
Ring Salvo...they'll most probably have one. Good guys to deal with, even from outside the UK

http://www.salvogroup.co.uk/salvosite.htm

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 22:01   #103
mikeyskona
Premier Member

Thanks Baffler. I'll hit them up tommorrow
mikeyskona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 02:04   #104
mikeyskona
Premier Member

OK.... An update for you guys.

Just out of interest I disconnected the lambda sensor altogether... Car drives like crap (limp home mode i'm guessing). But it has more power than it did when the lambda was connected. I can pull off now!.. It bogs down alot when the turbo kicks in, but i'm guessing that's normal with no Lambda probe connected.

All in all. It's no longer lumpy. The Misfire seems to have gone... I reckon it was the lambda sensor all along :| hmph.

Would you experts agree? lol

Well ordering a new one tommorrow, or thursday and will fit as soon as it arrives and will keep you guys and gals posted

Thanks again for all the help so far peeps, If this works, you will have made 1 disheartened Volvo owner very happy
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 02:15   #105
Baffler
Premier Member

As I mentioned in an earlier post...once you have it all sorted you'll be delighted with T4 ownership Keep the faith!

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 15:18   #106
mikeyskona
Premier Member

Hi again peeps.

I need a favour off someone if possible.
My trolley jack has gone tits up so i cant get under my car.
I have found a supplier for my lambda sensor but he wants the original part number from the unit (not the Volvo Part number).

I can't get underneith to check it.

Does anyone else have the Lambda Part number to hand?.. it's the rear one that plugs inside the car.

Thanks

Last edited by mikeyskona; Jul 7th, 2010 at 15:21.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 15:59   #107
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi again peeps.

I need a favour off someone if possible.
My trolley jack has gone tits up so i cant get under my car.
I have found a supplier for my lambda sensor but he wants the original part number from the unit (not the Volvo Part number).

I can't get underneith to check it.

Does anyone else have the Lambda Part number to hand?.. it's the rear one that plugs inside the car.

Thanks
......has your trolley jack got a puncture then??????.......what the hell do you want that for just to get under and read a number off the sensor...i am sure you take the **** out of people that try to help you!!!...... none of you know what the hell you are looking for... not even the person you are getting your sensor from.........the number on the actual sensor IS the part number whether Volvo or not as it comes from Japan the number on the sensor is 30864308 which also happens to be on the Volvo box mine came in there is another code which is NTK A4F.......why don`t you go and buy one from a reputable place and pay your money then you and a whole lot of people on here will be happy....happier than you will be.....you will end up with no one helping you if you carry on at this rate!!..........I Hope This Helps?.......

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 16:57   #108
mikeyskona
Premier Member

Not a puncture, But the cylinder / seal has gone i think (it wont lift any weight), it pumps up, but even if you just push your own weight on it, it goes down again :\... anyways, that's neither here nor there

I did look at your how to post and got the volvo part number from there, He said he needed NTK's part number?...

I wasn't expecting people to take out their o2 sensors for me, i was hoping someone had an old one laying around they could get NTK's number from.

Yeah, i know i've ended up taking the **** a bit, the help i've had from you guys on here is really appreciated.

Anyways, i've since found another supplier that could get me one next day with the volvo part number.

My local volvo dealership is pretty useless at the moment, They have to ring another dealership to look up part numbers and stock cause their system is apparently down, they can't do any diagnostics on my car for 3 weeks because apparently their diagnostic gear is not working, and they seem to be more expensive than alot of prices i've seen you guys throwing around (£180 for an o2 sensor?).

Anyways, i know i keep asking what you might think are stupid questions, but this is my first turbo vehicle, and it's taking me a while to get my head around how it's all working, and the amount of pipes and hoses! lol

Still.. I'm getting there, mainly from the help of you guys on here and it is really appreciated,

Sorry if i'm getting on your nerves 960 kg... hopefully all i'll be posting from now is "IT'S FIXED!" lol

edit::... i forgot to mention.. the previous owner had it lowered, so, there's not enough room for my head to get under it. lol
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 18:29   #109
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Not a puncture, But the cylinder / seal has gone i think (it wont lift any weight), it pumps up, but even if you just push your own weight on it, it goes down again :\... anyways, that's neither here nor there

I did look at your how to post and got the volvo part number from there, He said he needed NTK's part number?...

I wasn't expecting people to take out their o2 sensors for me, i was hoping someone had an old one laying around they could get NTK's number from.

Yeah, i know i've ended up taking the **** a bit, the help i've had from you guys on here is really appreciated.

Anyways, i've since found another supplier that could get me one next day with the volvo part number.

My local volvo dealership is pretty useless at the moment, They have to ring another dealership to look up part numbers and stock cause their system is apparently down, they can't do any diagnostics on my car for 3 weeks because apparently their diagnostic gear is not working, and they seem to be more expensive than alot of prices i've seen you guys throwing around (£180 for an o2 sensor?).

Anyways, i know i keep asking what you might think are stupid questions, but this is my first turbo vehicle, and it's taking me a while to get my head around how it's all working, and the amount of pipes and hoses! lol

Still.. I'm getting there, mainly from the help of you guys on here and it is really appreciated,

Sorry if i'm getting on your nerves 960 kg... hopefully all i'll be posting from now is "IT'S FIXED!" lol

edit::... i forgot to mention.. the previous owner had it lowered, so, there's not enough room for my head to get under it. lol
......your not getting on my nerves it`s just that people reply to you not just me and you dawdle around instead of fixing the car, just get on with it when somebody gives you good information.......by the way i don`t throw anything away and all my old sensors are in there boxes in the garage, so i just walked out and got the number off it together with the NTK number but you only need the Part Number.........don`t forget when you have put the new sensor in (and don`t touch the part that goes in the cat, treat it like a headlamp bulb) you will have to erase the codes!!...

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 18:37   #110
Terminator
VOC Member

You need to start using Rufe (Simon) and his colleagues at FRF Volvo, Swansea. Not only are they extremely knowledgeable and will tell you what you need, but their parts are heavily discounted for VOC members and they will post the parts quickly.

I get all my parts from FRF Volvo except brake discs and pads which I get from my local branch of ECP (only to save on postage).

In my opinion it is just not worth the risk getting cheap pattern parts especially if they are sensors.

Please don't use knackered or cheap trolley jacks if you are serious about DIY. Get a good quality jack(s) and axle stands.

Last edited by Terminator; Jul 7th, 2010 at 18:40.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote