Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trying to install vida 2012a

Views : 6750

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2013, 02:09   #21
nickbw898

Can I suggest that instead of trying random fixes to get Vida installed you first take a careful look at the unsuccessful installation log file. It will be a long and fairly tedious read BUT it will show the point at which the installation failed and at least, pointers to why, if not the exact reason. If indeed the problem is lack of free disk space this will be noted in the log. *

You will find the log in C:\VIDA\SYSTEM\LOG and look for Installation_log_2013-06-20 or some such date.

It would help if you sketch out the spec of your laptop HDD (capacity & Free Space) and what other software you have installed. Vida does not play nice with Windows systems which are trying to run a whole lot of programmes. Many who use it keep a dedicated laptop for its exclusive use.
*It may help you to look towards the bottom of the log where there will be a detailed account of any hard disks or removable media and their capacity.
PS Just googled the spec of your laptop, which suggests the original HDD is 120GB, so perhaps you have a lot more installed than the bare OS XP. Vida 2012A specifies 40GB free space on C:\ for installation. So I guess once you check the log for corroboration that too little free space is the problem you will be deleting programmes to make more. I strongly suggest downloading the small freeware programme "UltraDefrag" and running it (tick the run at boot option) to optimise your HDD before you try installing Vida. Good luck!

Last edited by nickbw898; Jun 21st, 2013 at 02:21.
nickbw898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 08:06   #22
S60D5185

Hi
The hdd is 37.2 GB with 20.2 GB free space, when the program starts to load it say the drive is less than the 30 GB required and may have problems?
The log says disk C has 20gb free and is ok to install to?
And. Disk D has 35gb free and is ok to install to?
Internal ram is ok = 2038mb

As the program is now on the Hdd surely that is taking up space, so I thought about saving the modified files back to another disk then removing the program from the hd and loading from the new cd but the files won't copy? The laptop now takes ages to start up.

The laptop just has windows and Citroen's 'Lexia' on it.
If the hdd is too small am I better upgrading the laptop, but then I won't have XP, probably windows 7 ?

Last edited by S60D5185; Jun 22nd, 2013 at 08:09.
S60D5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 08:45   #23
S60D5185

Would Vida work with Windows 7 or is an external Hard Drive a better option?
Alternatively would an older edition of Vida be easier to install, if so where would I get a copy?
Thanks everyone
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 10:46   #24
nickbw898

If your laptop is very slow to boot, start it in Safe Mode (usually repeated pressing of F8 as bios hands over to bootstrap will get you into menu) choose safe mode with command prompt and type CHKDSK /F and press return. You can do the same thing in windows from a DOS box, type cmd in search and then return, but you will be told the drive cannot be locked and asked if you want to restart and have the drive checked. Select yes.

If you already have an external hard disk it would be a good idea to try as the read/write speeds on USB2 are reasonable, but I think you will find Vida specifies it must be on the root of your C: drive, so except for moving things to the external to create space, it doesn't help much. It will have to be NTFS formatted. I don't follow your explanation, what is disk D is it a second hdd?

If you have the full Vida DVD copied to C: is this because you had to modify setup xxx.ini file? Difficulty copying this to another location could be due to CRC errors. I found this with 2011D. There is a tool which allows copping of CRC error files at http://langhofer.at/4/produkte/langh...error-ignorer/.

Vida installs fine on Windows 7 but it has to be either Pro or Ultimate and 32bit not 64bit. DiCE doesn't work with 64bit. Don't upgrade IE beyond v9. If you go for installing Win 7, be aware that it normally creates a hidden partition system partition which will land you back in square one with disk capacity problems. There is a method to avoid this, consult http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to...-installation/

I am also wondering if besides your disk capacity issue Vida does not like the Citroen Lexia software and drivers? I have no knowledge of it other than the limited info on the web.

Quite honestly, I think your best bet is to check which interface your internal hard disk uses - either PATA or SATA - and purchase a good used 2.5" hard disk of 500GB. These are quite cheap. I have got them for under £40 and replaced them on both windows and mac laptops. Consult iFixit web site. If you take your time, read the "how to" several times first, you will find this is simple screwdriver (size 0 crosshead) stuff. You will then be able to install either XP or 7 and Vida with no problems. Remember that windows needs free space on the hdd for its paging file and your loss of speed problem is likely to be due to this issue. I have an old IBM T40 Thinkpad with only 40GB hdd loaded with Win 7 and lots of other programmes. It has barely any free space which means defragging the drive is almost impossible.

Kat had torrents for Vida. My ISP doesn't let me check these. If you do, before you download read the comments about how reliable they are, if they actually have the patch and work.
nickbw898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 11:00   #25
Marmitespreader
Master Member

If I have a USB stick large enough, I will load 2010 & post it to you. Or, you mentioned win7, I assume you have a more modern computer/laptop with said system, bearing that in mind, does the comp/laptop have an integrated sd card reader capable of reading 8Gb? If so, I have an 8Gb card I can load up and post.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 12:12   #26
S60D5185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmitespreader View Post
If I have a USB stick large enough, I will load 2010 & post it to you. Or, you mentioned win7, I assume you have a more modern computer/laptop with said system, bearing that in mind, does the comp/laptop have an integrated sd card reader capable of reading 8Gb? If so, I have an 8Gb card I can load up and post.
Hi
It was time to replace one of the laptops so I have just aquired a Toshiba satalite with a 250gb HD and 3g ram. The laptop doesn't have anything on it other than windows 8 (was 7 but the guy had upgraded)?
I had a go last night, i changed the date to 13/12/2010 and loaded the disc, eventually it asked for .net 35 which I downloaded but later it stated compatability issues with 'SQL server 2005' , do I need to remove this program ?
It seemed to load and create the icons on screen which i havent seen before, but wouldn't let me install the patch at the end.
I will check re the SD card reader, but I think it does ?

At least if gives me another option, determined to get the Vida running one way or another !

Last edited by S60D5185; Jun 24th, 2013 at 12:19.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 12:19   #27
Rutz

The disk size may not be a problem - in reality Vida seems to only take up ~ 10gb so you should be able to get away with only 20gb. I managed to install 2012D with only 18gb on free space - although I used a virtual machine so Vida didn't know this is all I had.

I did find Vida a bit of a pain to install it wasn't simply a case of clicking 'setup'! Check your list of installed programs includes Internet explorer 8 (not higher) .NET framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 2.0. If not install them seperately and try again.
Rutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 12:27   #28
Marmitespreader
Master Member

Sorry, not sure about vida on win8, I wouldn't like to start messing with your new toy.
Check if old xp laptop will accept 8Gb sd also.
If not, you can upload from the sd I send, to new laptop, would you be able to then transfer 2010 to old laptop some way (disc or external hd)?
At the worst it's only going to cost price of a stamp to post card back.
I will get it loaded today & if you decide on this option, you can PM me your address.
I can almost see the frowns of determination
Jim
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 14:15   #29
Norfolk Jim
Norfolk Jim

ha ha - I had VIDA 2012D on my Win 7 Pro Laptop 64bit (Dell XPS Studio with i7) and all was running absolutely tickity boo but last week I upgraded from Office Pro 2010 to Office Pro Plus 2013. This involved uninstall of Office 2010.

All was running fine and works very well but I noticed VIDA not working now

Now removing VIDA, re-booting and reinstall..............ho hum
Norfolk Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 17:07   #30
Norfolk Jim
Norfolk Jim

Oh well it still says
http://VIDA/localhost

webpage cannot be found

It says in tray VIDA Status - starting.......

All reinstalled with no problems but somewhere downline IE 10 had downloaded. That's now been corrected and IE8 now running.

So what is going on?????????????

Any ideas marmitespread?? I have 291GB free space on 500GB HD
Norfolk Jim is offline   Reply With Quote