Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ecm-6805! 04 s60 d5 163

Views : 7332

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2015, 17:16   #11
b1gdeano

Thanks for the replies

The car is going into the garage on tuesday and I will get them to test the vac lines and mounts etc - I dont have a mityvac!

Will get them to check out the intercooler too - I kind of think that is knackered but not sure if that is the cause of the 6805 code. Wish it was a bit more specific in pointing to a culprit!

As for max MAF reading, dont know - didnt look when at my mates with DICE!

I have heard about fuel filter being an issue before - I think I will do that myself after the car comes back though - dont need to pay a mechanic for that.

I just dont want to go spending money on all the various parts it could be which is why i am sending it in to get diagnosed and fixed - that and I dont have much time to do it myself at the moment!
b1gdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 18:08   #12
reesky

ECM-6805 is induction related and thus nigh-on impossible to specify the failing component.

As the guys here have alluded to:
  1. Intercooler
  2. Engine mounts / vacuum line issues. This can be easily tested by disconnecting the moutns and plugging the "T" piece that the mounts plug in to and testing (this will cause heavy vibration for the duration of testing, which is fine).
  3. MAF
  4. Turbo

In the above order of likeliness.

Last edited by reesky; Mar 29th, 2015 at 18:10.
reesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 18:40   #13
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdeano View Post
As for max MAF reading, dont know - didnt look when at my mates with DICE!
£5 diagnostics gets this and other vital info.
You don't need Dice for basic live data.
Old Mar 30th, 2015, 09:39   #14
b1gdeano

Well I drove it to work again this morning, and was doing pretty well until the dual carriageway again when managed to get the "engine service required" message by booting it in 3rd gear, once RPM got to about 3500 up went the message!

It went all the way to redline without popping it in 2nd though....

Guess will just have to find out what the diagnostics find out on it, but I am confused as to why it is so hit and miss with it - on the long motorway run it would pop it quite regularly even when not accelerating that hard, and the symptoms were slightly different with the lack of power before 2500k and then boost after that, followed by lack of power in 5th between 80MPH up to 100MPH!

Hate having problems like this lol
Old Mar 30th, 2015, 12:20   #15
Brendan W
Premier Member

If the i/c is leaking it won't be helping and needs changing out anyway They are available relatively cheaply on ebay. there are two types with and without sensor on the outlet.
The turbo inlet hose could be doing this as said earlier in the thread. They go soft and collapse at high power demand and pop back out as if nothing happened. Some split, generally near the clip at the turbo end.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2015, 14:09   #16
b1gdeano

Decided to go out for a spin for 15 mins on a break at work - so took it out up and down the dual carriageway while it was nice and quiet!

Read a post on here about trying to see if the turbo veins are stuck and to try loosening them by applying a lot of vac to it by running at 40mph in 4th then flooring it - went and tried this and the car did what I would have expected, slowly accelerate building up speed as it gets higher RPM until it is running at the usual speed you would normally be running in 4th gear - nothing unusual and no message popped

Got to the dual carriageway and then booted it, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 5th. Got to about 85MPH in 5th and floored it - while it wasnt as sluggish as it was before it still didnt seem to have the will to rev up and accelerate as well as it should.

Got to traffic lights so stopped - green light, same again, floored it 1st/2nd/3rd/ 4th - then message popped! "engine service required" - still no limp mode just crap power delivery.

I can confirm that once the message pops I loose all boost below 2500rpm and sluggish performance climbing revs in 5th when at cruising speed

To test I did what I did before - 40MPH in 4th - floor it! NOTHING! really really slow take up - almost like no turbo present - keep foot down slowly slowly building up the RPM until just before 2500k then - BOOST! Car shoots off like a stabbed rat!

Did this in 3rd gear at 30MPH too - car sitting about 1900rpm - floored it, nothing until it creeps to 2500 then BOOST!

Got it to 75MPH in 5th - floored it again and was ok to about 85MPH then very weak and lackluster

So what is it?

Vac problems? Turbo vanes sticking?

I do not get limp mode like others have been saying where they cant go over 2500 - I can go over that, indeed it seems it doesn't like working below that nor in high gear with high loads.

Im tempted to say its vacuum issues, but not discounting sticky veins either....
Old Mar 30th, 2015, 22:24   #17
Symes
Master Member

My old 163 used to do something similar, replaced the Turbo Control Valve (Governor) with a (cheaper) VW version and that improved matters enormously. Also did the 40in4th run a few times to excercise the vanes in the turbo.
Old Mar 31st, 2015, 07:29   #18
carl4u44
Master Member

95% sure Sticky turbo vanes. Don't waste any time just get it whipped out and cleaned it's not a big job.
carl4u44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2015, 16:08   #19
d5steve

Default 6805

Had the same problem with my 04 s60d5,had a new intercooler just before i bought it,over the next 2 months it got quite sluggish,got 2 the point of struggling uphill,so took a chance and took off the turbo,it was completely caked in oil and crud,left it overnight in a bucket of Wyns turbo cleaner,put it back in after a good scrub with a stiff toothbrush,new seals and gasket,it is now transformed.pulls like a train,the engine is also sweeter and quieter than its ever been.I believe that the duff intercooler caused it.
d5steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2015, 17:30   #20
b1gdeano

Well just been speaking with the garage again after having them on the phone earlier saying that they couldn't replicated the fault and asking exactly what I was doing to cause it - advised them just accelerating hard, but that it was a bit intermittent!

Asked them had they checked all the vac lines & mount & governors etc, they had checked the mounts and and TCV but not the TCG.

Went away and true enough the TCG is knackered - not working when tested so that is one definite culprate with the split intercooler being the other - Garage will be fitting a new TCG and intercooler and hopefully this will sort the bloody thing out!

Also advised me that the egr mixer intake wa all coked up where he took the pipe off to get to the TCG - they will be giving that a good clean out too. I did do this myself a few years ago, but that was about 45K miles ago! looks like it all gunked up again. When it comes back i will be using some good fuel line cleaner methinks...