Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Number plate light screw heads all mashed. What do?

Views : 2820

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2016, 10:47   #1
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Default Number plate light screw heads all mashed. What do?

Morning Gents,

Was putting in some W5W LED's in the front headlamp cluster last night and thought I'd see if it was the same connection on the number plate lights.

Bent down to get a look at them and noticed that of the four screws that keep the two plastic plates in, one screw was missing, and the remaining three heads were all mashed up where you would locate the screwdriver.

My questions are as follows:

1.) What size screw fits?

2.) Where to buy GOOD replacement screws that won't mash in future?

3.) Any tips for getting out screws where the connection has been mashed? I'm only going to get one go at removing each screw I feel.

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 12:23   #2
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneilldom View Post
Any tips for getting out screws where the connection has been mashed? I'm only going to get one go at removing each screw I feel.
You could try using a very small spot of superglue on the screw head and driver to remove the screws and wait ten seconds or so for a bond between the screw and driver to form before you attempt removal, once the head of the screw is clear you van use thin long nose pliers to twist the screw round, use a smear of grease on the threads of the replacement screws - if the original threads in the body of the light holder are worn down and damaged - get replacement comparable length self-tappers, but with a slightly coarser thread than the originals.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Jan 13th, 2016 at 12:26.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 14:53   #3
BSF

The numberplate lights clip in it is best to remove the lamp before removing the screws have a look at a light below
http://www.volvopartshop.com/c30-lic...der-4208-p.asp
BSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 15:04   #4
oneilldom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
You could try using a very small spot of superglue on the screw head and driver to remove the screws and wait ten seconds or so for a bond between the screw and driver to form before you attempt removal, once the head of the screw is clear you van use thin long nose pliers to twist the screw round, use a smear of grease on the threads of the replacement screws - if the original threads in the body of the light holder are worn down and damaged - get replacement comparable length self-tappers, but with a slightly coarser thread than the originals.
Thanks for the info, didn't think of superglue! I'll attempt a go tonight and see if I can figure out what screws they are and find alternatives.

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 15:06   #5
oneilldom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSF View Post
The numberplate lights clip in it is best to remove the lamp before removing the screws have a look at a light below
http://www.volvopartshop.com/c30-lic...der-4208-p.asp
Didn't realise it was a little unit. I had pulled the front into the lit garage and couldn't be arsed to turn it round to get a good look at the back so just used a tiny torch. Any info on how to remove the whole unit?

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 17:37   #6
v70stu
V60 T6

The screws have Torx heads, are you sure that's not what they actually are?
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 07:52   #7
Welton
Premier Member

They are torx-headed screws, sounds like the previous owner tried using a normal screwdriver on them, many people don't realise what they are and what tools fit properly.

These ones might still take a torx bit if you're careful or even a very small flat-bladed screwdriver like a terminal screw driver.

You'll probably only get them 'out' and then need to replace with new ones.

Problem with mashed screw heads is you only get 2 or 3 attempts with other tools until you end up with a rounded hole, then you're faced with drilling a tiny hole into the centre and either tapping something in or trying to force something in to help unscrew it.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 07:57   #8
iainmd

I'd drill off the heads, pull the light units down and then use a pair of pliers on the proud remains of the screw to remove the screws. Replace with OEM screws.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 09:45   #9
oneilldom

Thanks for the info chaps. Was very dark as I said when I went to unscrew the plate lights so I couldn't see at all if they were mashed phillips or torx. Sounds like torx with the consensus here. I'll see if they're still in good enough condition to accept a torx head tonight (if I'm feeling brave in the snow). Fingers crossed! Will update accordingly...

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 14:45   #10
oneilldom

Update: I had a go at getting the screws out to replace the bulbs on saturday morning. Turned out they were phillips heads (although very rounded) I could only get one side out due to the screw head problems and one the plastic which holds the bulb hanger inside the cluster had come away (along with the hanger).

So I've decided to replace both light clusters. Does anyone know how to do this? I'm imagining it involves taking off the plastic panel inside the boot and unclipping from there?

Additionally, but slightly off topic, does anyone know how to get the bulb & housing from the footwell light out? I just could not see what was keeping it in or how to unclip it. Any info appreciated.

2009 C30 2.0D R-design

Tags
c30, led, number plate, screw, screws