Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dead XC40 Recharge

Views : 1021

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2023, 19:21   #1
topcatt

Default Dead XC40 Recharge

After 3 very enjoyable months, my new single motor XC40 recharge (P6) suddenly refused (solid red light) to take a charge from my home charger (Zappi). Worse still, the previous days 33% charge had disappeared overnight, so the car was showing 0% charge and was completely unusable - couldn't even select R to back it out the garage.
The Volvo Care call out technician eventually managed to get it into N, so we could at least push it out, but after about 2hrs tinkering gave up and arranged a flat bed truck transport to the local Volvo dealer. They have had it a couple of days, but still no idea what the problem is.
Anyone ideas anyone ?
topcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 15:57   #2
topcatt

Update to the above post:

Volvo dealership have been in touch to say that the main HV battery is faulty and needs replacing. Obviously a major job, but they think I might get it back sometime next week. Hmm, we shall see.

Last edited by topcatt; Feb 27th, 2023 at 16:01.
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 19:02   #3
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcatt View Post
Update to the above post:

Volvo dealership have been in touch to say that the main HV battery is faulty and needs replacing. Obviously a major job, but they think I might get it back sometime next week. Hmm, we shall see.
Hope it's sorted quickly.

I don't get how cars are getting through Volvo quality control or having major failures within such a short period of time. I'm presuming that the battery modules / assemblies are pre-assembled before being presented to production lineside ?

Imagine if Volvo were allowing regular combustion engines to have terminal failures when almost new. It doesn't make sense.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 20:54   #4
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Yours isn’t the only one I’ve seen having the battery replaced at this sort of age.

It isn’t actually a major job, it all just drops out from underneath. Not even half as involved at say taking the engine out of a normal car. I had the opportunity to see one on a ramp at a dealership and there really isn’t a lot to them.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 15:37   #5
TeamG
Master Member

I’m going to start stockpiling ICE cars to last me the 20-25 years past 2030 before EVs are fully sorted, reliable and affordable.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2023, 19:10   #6
topcatt

Just to let everybody know, it took about 6 weeks to get a new battery fitted, but at least Volvo provided one of their XC40 fleet cars to keep me on the road. All fine with the new battery so far.

Looking back, the only 'warning' I had that something wasn't quite right was on a longish trip when the Google maps predicted arrival charge suddenly dropped by about 20%, only to recover to the previous value a minute or so later. At the time I thought it was just a software glitch, but I wonder now if it was an early indication of problems with the HV system. One to watch out for if it happens to you.