Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1982 240GLE saloon - Tax Exempt

Views : 2075

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2023, 09:47   #1
Othen
Premier Member

Default 1982 240GLE saloon - Tax Exempt

I decided just the other day that I would offer my 1982 240GLE 2.3 manual saloon for sale in order to simplify my impending move to Zummrezette. I'll write a classified ad for eBay at the weekend... but you saw it here first.

I bought the motor car a year ago as a project to fill my spare time whilst my son was finishing his A levels. This is what I do as a hobby: take essentially good motor cars (mostly Volvo) and motorcycles that need a little love and improve them such that they become very nice. This one (the Barge) has turned out very well indeed, and as a bonus has qualified as an historic vehicle (and so is tax exempt) in the meantime. The Barge is probably the youngest Historic Vehicle in the country having been manufactured on 29 Dec 82.

So the Barge is a 3 previous owner motor car from new and has covered a little over 90.000 miles. It comes with the original service book and owner's manual in the correct Volvo folder. Indeed I've started recording services in the book myself since I bought the motor car.

Being a GLE the motor car has overdrive, PAS, central locking and electric front windows. As you may see from the photos, the exterior is in really good condition, the graphite metallic (colour #177) paint is all original and the trim is complete:

The Barge has a tow bar and appears to have been fitted for towing from new (probably by the supplying dealer). I have recommissioned the towing electrics (which did not appear to have been used for decades) so everything works perfectly.

The motor car is in very good condition inside; it has these extra gauges:

... which I think improve the dash a lot. I have changed the original Volvo MDS radio cassette player for a modern but retro looking radio with BT, USB. The original MDS is available with the motor car should anyone really want 1980s 2-channel ICE. It would appear that the Barge was fitted with 4 speakers from new, with these nice original Volvo ones on the hat shelf:

The rest of the interior is in really good condition. The upholstery is blue plush velour and the headlining is also very good indeed:

... the sunroof works and is weatherproof.

The boot is very tidy, the motor car comes with a matching alloy spare with a new tyre, the original jack and even the Volvo tool roll.

The engine compartment is remarkably clean and tidy:

I have been right through the motor car, completed all the servicing (new belts, filters, fluids &c), fixed, replaced or improved many things that had probably been wrong for years and generally sorted everything. The only evidence of bodywork repairs is a welded patch to the closer plate at the back of the NSR sill. This looks like it was very professionally done some years (maybe decades) ago. The history of the motor car in my ownership is well recorded in the project thread (from post #3190 onwards).

I've fitted some H4 LED headlamp bulbs (legal on pre-1986 models) and LED driving lamps (controlled by the correct Volvo switch on the dash), which are nice and bright:

The Barge passed the MoT test with no advisories in October last.

I'm offering the Barge for sale with its original 14" alloy wheels, which were refurbished last year and have new tyres.

For the past year I have used 15" Volvo Pholus wheels:

... which I think suit 240s much better and look smarter than the originals.

The Pholus wheels would be available as an optional extra for an additional £250 (with a little used set of winter tyres). I don't mind if I keep the Pholus wheels - they will come in handy for some future 240/740/940 project.

So there we have it: a really good coffin nose 240GLE saloon that has low miles, only 3 previous owners and quite good provenance that is also tax and MoT exempt. What is not to like for only £6,000. I don't really want to haggle over the price because I think the motor car is probably worth more. If anyone from the forum is interested it is fine to call me on 07533622390 and arrange to come and see the motor car at Corby del Sol (NN18). I'll advertise the Barge more widely from the coming weekend.

Last edited by Othen; Jun 7th, 2023 at 12:40. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 10:25   #2
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

I decided just the other day that I would offer my 1982 240GLE 2.3 manual saloon for sale in order to simplify my impending move to Zummrezette. I'll write a classified ad for eBay at the weekend... but you saw it here first.

I bought the motor car a year ago as a project to fill my spare time whilst my son was finishing his A levels. This is what I do as a hobby: take essentially good motor cars (mostly Volvo) and motorcycles that need a little love and improve them such that they become very nice. This one (the Barge) has turned out very well indeed, and as a bonus has qualified as an historic vehicle (and so is tax exempt) in the meantime. The Barge is probably the youngest Historic Vehicle in the country having been manufactured on 29 Dec 82.

So the Barge is a 3 previous owner motor car from new and has covered a little over 90.000 miles. It comes with the original service book and owner's manual in the correct Volvo folder. Indeed I've started recording services in the book myself since I bought the motor car.

Being a GLE the motor car has PAS, central locking and electric front windows. As you may see from the photos, the exterior is in really good condition, the graphite metallic (colour #177) paint is all original and the trim is complete:

The Barge has a tow bar and appears to have been fitted for towing from new (probably by the supplying dealer). I have recommissioned the towing electrics (which did not appear to have been used for decades) so everything works perfectly.

... which I think improve the dash a lot. I have changed the original Volvo MDS radio cassette player for a modern but retro looking radio with BT, USB. The original MDS is available with the motor car should anyone really want 1980s 2-channel ICE. It would appear that the Barge was fitted with 4 speakers from new, with these nice extra ones on the hat shelf:

The rest of the interior is in really good condition. The upholstery is blue plush velour and the headlining is also very good indeed:

The boot is very tidy, the motor car comes with an matching alloy spare with a new tyre, the original jack and even the Volvo tool roll.

I have been right through the motor car, completed all the servicing (new belts, filters, fluids &c), fixed, replaced or improved many things that had probably been wrong for years and generally sorted everything. The only evidence of bodywork repairs is a welded patch to the closer plate at the back of the NSR sill. This looks like it was very professionally done some years (maybe decades) ago. The history of the motor car in my ownership is well recorded in the project thread (from post #3190 onwards).

I've fitted some H4 LED headlamp bulbs (legal on pre-1986 models) and LED driving lamps (controlled by the correct Volvo switch on the dash), which are nice and bright:

I'm offering the Barge for sale with its original 14" alloy wheels, which were refurbished last year and have new tyres.

The Pholus wheels would be available as an optional extra for an additional £250 (with a little used set of winter tyres). I don't mind if I keep the Pholus wheels - they will come in handy for some future 240/740/940 project.

So there we have it: a really good coffin nose 240GLE saloon that has low miles, only 3 previous owners and quite good provenance that is also tax and MoT exempt. What is not to like for only £6,000. I don't really want to haggle over the price because I think the motor car is probably worth a bit more. If anyone from the forum is interested it is fine to call me on 07533622390 and arrange to come and see the motor car at Corby del Sol. I'll advertise the Barge more widely from the coming weekend.

A very dodgy dealer......😀😀

But once you read the ad, it just raises the question, why get rid of such a nice motor?

Yes I know sensibilities, and logistics of moving etc etc.

On the other hand, it will leave space for a new project over this winter in your new workshop👍

Best of luck with the sale, and hope you don't get any tyre kickers.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 10:33   #3
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
A very dodgy dealer......😀😀

But once you read the ad, it just raises the question, why get rid of such a nice motor?

Yes I know sensibilities, and logistics of moving etc etc.

On the other hand, it will leave space for a new project over this winter in your new workshop👍

Best of luck with the sale, and hope you don't get any tyre kickers.

Cheers
Steve
Thank you Steve, that is very kind of you.

As we have discussed a few times, I've been trying to find excuses to keep the Barge - but I've 'fessed up to myself and admitted it makes no sense to move it to Zummrezette. When I'm candid with myself it is the project I enjoy most, not the ownership or even the driving

I am looking forward to a new project (whatever it may be: motorcycle, 240, 740... something else) when I'm set up at Berrow sur la Mar.

Old Jun 8th, 2023, 12:21   #4
Othen
Premier Member

Default For Sale...

The listing is live:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185932733761

Old Jun 8th, 2023, 14:06   #5
Lucien
VOC Member

Best of luck with the sale Alan, the motorcar is looking lovely, and a well written informative advert with clear useful photographs. I hope it goes to another good home.

regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lucien For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 20:12   #6
Bob 1967
Master Member

I'll be watching for shill bidding from Bob!!
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 15:50   #7
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
I'll be watching for shill bidding from Bob!!
Or from Alan's son!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 11:27   #8
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

Quote:

Being a GLE the motor car has overdrive, PAS, central locking and electric front windows. As you may see from the photos, the exterior is in really good condition, the graphite metallic (colour #177) paint is all original and the trim is complete:

... which I think improve the dash a lot. I have changed the original Volvo MDS radio cassette player for a modern but retro looking radio with BT, USB. The original MDS is available with the motor car should anyone really want 1980s 2-channel ICE. It would appear that the Barge was fitted with 4 speakers from new, with these nice original Volvo ones on the hat shelf:

The boot is very tidy, the motor car comes with a matching alloy spare with a new tyre, the original jack and even the Volvo tool roll.

So there we have it: a really good coffin nose 240GLE saloon that has low miles, only 3 previous owners and quite good provenance that is also tax and MoT exempt. What is not to like for only £6,000. I don't really want to haggle over the price because I think the motor car is probably worth more. If anyone from the forum is interested it is fine to call me on 07533622390 and arrange to come and see the motor car at Corby del Sol (NN18). I'll advertise the Barge more widely from the coming weekend.

I love what you've done with the front lights! It must really light up the road at night. I'd like to do something similar for my 850.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clark For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 22:36   #9
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
I love what you've done with the front lights! It must really light up the road at night. I'd like to do something similar for my 850.
Thank you.

They are a bit 'light up the sky with Standard fireworks!

PS. Unfortunately the LED headlamb bulbs would probably result in a MoT failure for a post-1986 motorcar. The driving lamps would be fine.

Last edited by Othen; Jun 13th, 2023 at 23:05.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 05:20   #10
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Thank you.

They are a bit 'light up the sky with Standard fireworks!

PS. Unfortunately the LED headlamb bulbs would probably result in a MoT failure for a post-1986 motorcar. The driving lamps would be fine.

Tbf Alan my mate has LED bulbs in his 1999 car (naughty I know) but has passed the last three MOT's with them in without issue.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: