Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which Tyres?

Views : 2510

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 17:23   #11
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi70 View Post
I understand the turning circle issue my C70 on 17 is like parking a tanker compared to the V70 on 15's
Steve
+1 on that. The turning circle on the C70 with 17" is best described as laughable. But I forgive my car because of everything else it CAN do.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 17:31   #12
TopCat25

I've pretty much decided to dump the P6000's. What I'm going to do now is view both the Falken & Goodyear's. Prices appear to be similar, & opinion seems split between the two. Both sound good so....

Thanks for all the advice.

TC
TopCat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 20:35   #13
DSK
C70 T5

I am in the tyre trade so deal with many tyres.

For some reason I have never been impressed with the Pirelli P6000 on larger executive or performance orientated cars - they just don't seem upto the job...... (They perform well on smaller hatchback things though).

Trouble with tyres is it seems not many people can afford a set of decent tyres for their shiny new posh cars. Cheap budget tyres have severe drawbacks, whilst being cheaper to buy, they wear out quicker, are more prone to poor manufacturing defects/issues and usually are just a nuisance with very very poor grip levels.

I would advise ggoing with the following;

decent quality on a budget;

- Falken ZE512 or if you can push a few punds more the FK452. (Brilliant wear rate and built well (japanese manufactured), we run these on our company track day demo BMW). Both the ZE512 and the FK452 lasted much longer than a set of Michelin Pilot primacy on our company Audi A4 2.5 TDI. Grip and ride and very good, but they are just a little noisier than the leading premium brands.

(In size 225/45/17, the fully inclusive/fitted price for the FK452 is £82, whilst we do discount the Falken's, don't get ripped off by other outlets, get them to work harder to provide a quote around that price mark).

premium brands

- Pirelli P-Zero Assimetric (I like these, comfy and put the power from the T5 down very well but wet weather grip is just below that from the likes of Michelin and Goodyear. The wear rate is OK, I can comfortably get 15,000 miles out of mine if have to with plenty of low speed + full throttle burst action).

- Goodyear Eagle Excellence (Excellent all round capability tyre that is a successor to teh Eagle NCT5 known for its long service life. The Excellence features an assimetric tread pattern, provides high grip levels and longevity ata reasonable price). Ideal for those who require high performance but don't drive hard requiring the outright perfromance of the Goodyear F1.

- Goodyear F1 GSD3 or F1 Assimetric (This is my all favourite, the GSD3 which features the directional tread pattern. Great value for money, superior wet and dry grip, very good road manners and perhaps the best of the lot. This is now also available with the non V shaped diectional pattern but in assimetric form, which I prefer as the assimetric tread pattern offers a smoother ride whilst retaining the superior performance capabilities of the Eagle F1 system).

- Michelin Pilot Sport 2 - (The most expensive of the lot, but very comfortable and quiet with great driver feedback. Harder wearing compound but doesn't exceed the the longevity of the Goodyear F1). Great tyre, but why pay this when the Goodyear is just as good?

- Continental Contisport Contact 2 or 3 (3 is the latest). - (Just a bit cheaper than the Michelin, but ideal for the long distance driver as the continual ribs provide the smoothest, quietest and most comfotable of all drives. The staggered ridges on the inner ribs provide a brilliant, quick yet controlled steering response with amazing feedback. Grip levels are between the Pirelli P-Zero and Goodyear. They last well but not quite as long of the Goodyear/Michelin).

Personally, on my BMW 328i and C70 T5, I find use each of the ones listed above, they are all great but tend to prefer the Goodyear F1 Assimetric and Continental Consitsport Contact 3. Demo BMW 328i = Falken FK452.

Last edited by DSK; Jan 19th, 2008 at 20:46.
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:28   #14
TopCat25

It's good to have such a detailed response. The FK-452 seems a probable, but who knows, if one of the Goodyear's can come in at not too much more (relative, I know) I might just squeeze out the extra notes.
Thanks for all contributions

TC
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 13:08   #15
The Purifier
Martin

I had a set of Bridgestone RE050s (225/45/17) fitted to my S60 last week, seem to grip well but are quite noisy in my opinion. Anyone else have experience of these and how long they might last?
The Purifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 15:10   #16
DSK
C70 T5

TOP CAT - regarding your Private Message, my vehicle is a 2000 C70 model so can only offer comments regarding tyres that rub based on this issue and any other 70 models that we get in.

With regards to rubbing, I have not experienced any issues regarding rubbing with any of the tyres listed above and neither have some other V70 and S60 owners that we get in (running the same size). There are some tyres that have funny wider side wall edges where this rubbing issue arises, but I can only think of some very poor 'budget' brand tyres in general that this relates to. The premium brands tend to be fine from experience.

With regards to the price of the Goodyears, based on the size on my C70, 225/45/17, the fully inclusive price that we do both the Goodyear Eagle Excellence and Eagle F1 (inc. assymetric version) is roughly £90/98 IIRC. This will give you some idea with regards to what you can and should expect to pay. (Continentals edge towards £120/130 marks with the Michelin in the region of £120/145 - the prices for different speed and load ratings can vary within the price bracket mentioned).

(Also, just a quick note, after a day or two of having your new tyres fitted, I would strongly advise to have your vehicles wheel alignment checked/adjusted to gain maximum benefits and prolong the mileage your tyres provides.)
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 15:21   #17
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi70 View Post
Hi for what its worth Humberside police use the F1 on their V70's ,and after a tramlining episode yesterday i will NEVER use Pirellis again. I understand the turning circle issue my C70 on 17 is like parking a tanker compared to the V70 on 15's
Steve
Goodyear Excellence are exceptionally good, and offer a much longer life than the F1's.

I got 2 * 225/45/17 Goodyear Excellence fitted for £78 a corner at a nice tyre place in Birmingham

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 15:21   #18
ovlov25
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Maybe a tyre size calculator to check alternative sizes:
Linky....

Des. . .
Don't think there will be a viable alternative to 225/45R17 to keep the rolling radius correct.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 15:45   #19
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov25 View Post
Don't think there will be a viable alternative to 225/45R17 to keep the rolling radius correct.
215x50x17 while a little bigger is still within acceptable limits I would think.
Would depend on the actual speed as compared to the displayed speed as I don't know the accuracy of the speedo..

215x50 = 2.0% faster
215x45 = 1.4% slower

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 15:59   #20
TopCat25

DSK - Thanks for your (again) detailed response.
I've seen Goodyear F1 GSD3 just fractionally cheaper than the Excellence, but reading posts here and the Goodyear site it appears that the Excellence gives longer life. I can see it's very much a balancing act; performance v mileage.

Wouldn't it be great (or at least simpler) if there was only 1 "best tyre....

TC