Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which Tyres?

Views : 2512

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 15:24   #31
Kings

I am currently running Goodyear Eagle F1 Assemetric on my S60 (225/40ZR18) and I cannot fault them, they just grip grip and grip some more.
The only tyre I have had that is comparable to them IMO is the Bridgestone SO2 Pole Position (that I used to run on a Vauxhall Astra 1.8) but they needed replacing after 6k!!!

I've tried Conti Sport Contact 2 on my S60 and GY F1 GSD3 and the assemetric pattern is the best.

With regard to rubbing on full lock, when I got the car it had Michelins on it (can't remember what pattern) there was no rub, however when I put F1's on it the rubbing was quite noticeable. I believe it is down to the shape of the shoulders of the tyre, some brands are fairly rounded and the F1's have more of an right angled shoulder.

FYI, I had my car lowered when I had 17's on it (225/45YR17) and the rubbing was really quite bad, both with the F1's and Conti's, I have now fitted 18's and because the offset is higher (I think, can't remember what the offset was on standard 17's) now 43, the wheels sit slightly further out (still well within the wheelarches) the rubbing on full lock has been significantly reduced to a level I believe that is slightly less than having 17's on the car before it was lowered.

What a result!

SO IT PROVES....BIGGER IS BEST!!!!!
Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:10   #32
keefrto1
VOC member in Canada

Got myself 2 falken 452 yesterday £164 fitted. Its ****ing down today so will see how they react however going back from work last night they felt good.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 16:26   #33
TopCat25

Smile

Well, today I had 2 Goodyear Excellence fitted. Too early for a detailed opinion, but what is obvious is that the tramlining, experienced on the P6000's on the way to the tyre depot, completely disappeared on the way back on the Goodyear's. No obvious signs of rubbing on full lock either. So, a good start.
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

TC
TopCat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 16:46   #34
DSK
C70 T5

Good choice.

I would advise that you do check the tyre pressures yourself in a weeks time just to ensure that they are set to the correct PSI. Also, if your wheel alignment needs to be done, get it done to get the best life and performance from your new tyres.
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 17:05   #35
TopCat25

Thanks! I intend to do both these things.
Even though there was no sign of uneven wear, I'm still getting the steering geometry checked at the dealership. I also make a point of checking pressures regularly myself (I don't trust those garage gauges).

TC
TopCat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 17:14   #36
Bhowani 2
Bhowani

Default Tyres!

I am a little puzzled!

I get 25,000ish out of a set on my V70. Should I write a book?

Sorry, but you did ask!

Bhowani
Bhowani 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 17:47   #37
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowani 2 View Post
I am a little puzzled!

I get 25,000ish out of a set on my V70. Should I write a book?

Sorry, but you did ask!

Bhowani
I forgot to metnion, that all the tyres I mentioned (except the Goodyear Excellece) are UHP (Ultra High Performance Tyres), specifically geared towards performance over longevity. All the milages I have reached have also been utpo the 1.6mm legal limit and not beyond (not that I am trying to imply that you keep your tyres on until you have a slick carcass).

The next rung down, the high performance all season type tyres like the Michelin Pilot Primacy, Goodyear NCT5, Excellence etc all offer much more longevity than the UHP tyres and do provide mileages in excess of 20,000 miles comfortably under normal driving conditions.
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote