Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Would you buy another Volvo?

Views : 167027

Replies : 614

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Would you buy another Volvo?
Definitely yes 580 54.26%
Likely yes 330 30.87%
Probably no 113 10.57%
No way Nellie 46 4.30%
Voters: 1069. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 4th, 2024, 17:11   #611
Esty

I am not sure if I would one. I like the idea of feeling as safe as possible in a car. I owe a Volvo c30 1.8 petrol with 150000 kilometres. I had some issues but nothing serious so so far I am happy. I was taking a look at some Volvo V60 and S60 second hand years 2010 t0 2015 Japanise imported with low mileage petrol engine T4 with 180 bhp and I have read lot of serious issues....

I have read to stay away from the following years as give a lot of issues: years 2012, 2013, 2015 for the S60 and 2015 and 2016 for the V60

But...dont they have both the same engine?
Anyone having a S60 or V60 have you have so many issues as they say ?

Thanks!
Esty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 17:43   #612
Rob1950

My recently purchased 940S Estate is my 8th Volvo. I've had a 145S, 2 Amazons, 2 x 245DL Estates, and 2 C70 soft tops. I aspire to another Amazon (why did I ever sell the last one?) and either a P1800S or even better an ES. Whether I will ever afford either of the latter two, rather depends on the lottery., or an inheritance from a distant auntie that I've never heard of! Not really interested in anything more modern, I'm afraid.
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 10:56   #613
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
This is why leased vehicles are so popular. Yes, you don't own them, but when you think about it... You're basically paying to rent a new vehicle for x amount of years for around the same figure as what you'd lose on depreciation fully financing the same vehicle to own outright in x years. People often say "Oh, I'd never lease a vehicle, its a waste of money because you'll never own it", but they'll go out an buy a car on HP finance and lose thousands on depreciation, with a view to eventually owning it (often they don't, they swap for something else early).

The thousands lost on depreciation would more often than not lease them a new car anyway, and, what would the difference be if they never stick to the full term of the original HP agreement to outright own the vehicle they've paid finance on for the last x number of years? Its the same thing... they don't outright own the car on HP finance unless they settle it early or make all the payments. They don't own the leased car either. The only difference is you have the chance to own the car on HP, but generally, the vast majority don't. They just keep financing and financing, never actually owning the cars they've financed.
As long as you go into leasing with your eyes wide open. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

As a company leasing hundreds or thousands of vehicles no issue, as an individual some, not all, manufacturers and dealerships see the vehicle return as a revenue stream*.

As you point out the cost of the lease is effectively the depreciation on the vehicle while you have it. At some point that depreciation curve flattens out and the cost of ownership is not the same as paying the 40-60% depreciation you see on a new car over the first three years. If my ten year old car today is worth £0 then depreciation works out at £112/month, you will not lease a new S60 for £112/month without significant up front deposit. While leasing you still have the maintenance costs and you are locked in to the dealer network**.

* I've had dealers try to claim a new windscreen for roadrash, no chips in the screen, no MOT failure just usual wear and tear on a three year old car. Told them to claim off my insurance, the insurance company told them to take a hike. Another dealer tried to claim for a full bumper assembly for a 2" scratch in the paintwork. Manufacturers now produce a document telling you what is and is not acceptable wear and tear. Some dealers ignore this and try to claim for every single defect they can find. KIA are especially bad for this. I have experience of one dealership who, while servicing our car, spent more time going over the car checking for faults than they did actually servicing the vehicle.

**Yes, you can take it outside the network and fit genuine parts but then you have a fight on your hands if you need any support from the manufacturer which detracts from the utopia of trouble free, lease motoring.

Swings and roundabout. Leasing gets you into a car you may not otherwise be able to afford. The running costs remain the same which is why you see some prestige cars with shonky service histories which have not had a £500 three year servicing deal as part of the lease.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 09:01   #614
Duncan Doenitz

I have only bought one car from new as it was a rather tasty Stuttgart model which I still own and is now appreciating in value.

I have just replaced my written off V60 D3 due to a young lad embedding his Fiat in the engine block. Volvo's airbags are terrific, that was an education. I now have a 2015 V60 D5 which I picked up for a song due to Londoners offloading diesels as a result of the nasty ULEZ scheme. Even my teenage kids approve.

Garages don't sell cars, they sell debt.
Duncan Doenitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 05:52   #615
Gotcha

If I really had to, but I am not getting rid of my current one!!!
Gotcha is offline   Reply With Quote