Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 battery choice

Views : 11816

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2020, 12:38   #51
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
They're pretty much the same company so not sure why there would be a difference.
Exide also have the Volvo contract and we know the genuine batteries have proven long term reliability.
They are different companies, yuasa once bought the industrial division of exide and briefly became yuasa-exide in america, then parent company yuasa Japan bought control of that removing the exide name again, but thats it.
If you read reviews, exide get more bad reviews, and speaking to guy at Tayna he said they get a lot more warranty issues with exide than varta/bosch.
Exide arent bad batteries on the whole, just they have a higher ratio of problems than the other premium brands, but they are much cheaper, so as always, ya pays yer money...
I do believe exide may well make volvo batts, as reading through volvo owner battery reviews/posts/tales you get lots of long lived batteries interspersed with a good helping of premature (like months to two years) failures, very much in line with exide user reviews.

Personally I'd buy exide premium if theres a big price difference, but if the difference is small I'll get Varta.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 13:18   #52
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
They are different companies, yuasa once bought the industrial division of exide and briefly became yuasa-exide in america, then parent company yuasa Japan bought control of that removing the exide name again, but thats it.
They may have removed the Exide name but they didn't sell Exide.
Being a different company on paper is different to being completely unrelated to each other and as far as I can tell, whilst they are 2 individual and clearly defined brands, they're still 2 sides of the same coin.
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 13:23   #53
marcb
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Thinking about it, is there any such thing as a bad battery nowadays? (As in a brand that you shouldn't use either because of poor quality/reliability).
I doubt there is much to choose between the main well-known brands but I expect there are some poor quality copies probably from the Far East that you can buy, as there is with most car parts. I've got a tyre from a Chinese brand on the V70 that's developed a crack almost all the way around after just 2,000 miles.
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 17:07   #54
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
They may have removed the Exide name but they didn't sell Exide.
Being a different company on paper is different to being completely unrelated to each other and as far as I can tell, whilst they are 2 individual and clearly defined brands, they're still 2 sides of the same coin.
They are independent companies, yuasa once bought a division of exide from Exide, but the two companies never merged or bought one or the other out. Yuasa have never had anything to do with exide automotive batteries and vice-versa.
If I had a house but no kitchen and bought your entire kitchen facilities from you, the meals produced weren't cooked by you, neither do I own your house or become family, you simply don't cook food anymore whilst I now have kitchen equipment to do so. The laundry, bathing, cleaning, sleeping etc are entirely unlrelated since it is two independent households and families.

If I'm missing something let me know!

Last edited by AndyV7o; Apr 1st, 2020 at 17:43.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote